downtongirl: I want to become med-free

downtongirl

Update 10 weeks off of Prozac today and the last couple of nights I have had brain zap type sensations in my legs that wake me up from my sleep...it usually happens during the first couple of hours of sleep. It is very uncomfortable and is a withdrawal symptom I am sure. I don't have it during the day although I do get some parathesia during the day and I notice a inner vibrating feeling in my legs when sitting or lying down but these sensations that actually wake me up from my sleep are much stronger...has anyone else had these and is there anything that helps?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downtongirl

• Altostrata

• tntd

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a lot has happened in the past week....I started a low dosage of lithium carbonate for the first time in my life and I am scared to death of it.  My mood swings were too severe and my doctor took me off of the small dosage of trazadone I was on (and had tried a low dosage of remeron for sleep but did not like the way it made me feel) and of course the doctor feels I am bipolar.  I don't know if I am I tend to believe my symptoms are due to withdrawal but my reason for agreeing to go on a low dosage....ie....150 mg for a few days and then 300 mg for a few days and now 450 mg one time a day at supper time is to help mellow the mood swings out.  My depression was getting really really bad and I was having passive suicidal thoughts and my anxiety and agitation was getting too high...these swings would happen a few times a day each day.  I am hoping that the lithium will help....I know it won't cure the withdrawal but help it and if I make it through withdrawal then tackle a slow taper off of the lithium.  I am having some symptoms and I don't know if they are more withdrawal or start up side effects from lithium....so I was hoping someone with experience with lithium could respond please!  Here is a time line of the recent med changes and symptoms....

Quit Prozac 7/29/16....have had windows and waves with anxiety, agitation, mild nervous energy in legs, nausea, etc.

10/4/16....doctor stopped 25 mg of trazadone and added 150 mg of lithium

Since stopping trazadone and starting lithium I have gotten a bloated stomach with mild stomach ache and some itching....not bad but it is there, I have had chills and shaking but I had bouts of that since stopping prozac too

Things that have been improved since starting the lithium so far are the mood swings are there but not as extreme....I have also been able to sleep some at night with out a sleep aid of any kind.  This I am happy about and hope it lasts.  

My current dosage after 10 days is 450 mg and will be there until at the least next week when I go for another check up with doctor.  

The goal is to stay on the lowest dosage available.

Question....how long does it take for lithium to reach a steady state?

Also, is itching a normal side effect of lithium?

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Moderator Emeritus

DG,

It appears that Lithium reaches a steady state somewhere between 2 and 7 days.

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/testguide.action?dc=WP_DrugHalfLife

Itching is listed as a common side effect.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks so much for your reply Andy!  I really appreciate it.  I will read the link you posted.  I wish I could have handled the mood swings with out trying the lithium but I guess I was not strong enough.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks so much for your reply Andy!  I really appreciate it.  I will read the link you posted.  I wish I could have handled the mood swings with out trying the lithium but I guess I was not strong enough.

Hi, downtongirl.

I don't think it has to do with being "strong enough". I think it has to do more with catching your symptoms early enough and having the right non-drug coping skills to stop the symptoms from escalating. This means you don't need to be stronger, just quicker. And have the right non-drug coping skills to put into place right away. Eventually, this will be an automatic response and your symptoms will stop escalating to the point of reaching a crisis state. 

Brassmonkey's Anger Spiral comes to mind for a better explanation. This is a really good post where he explains it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3458-brassmonkey-talking-about-myself/?p=229162

And this is something that would work for many symptoms, not just anger. I've used this and similar techniques such as Alto's Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms techniques. 

I would really encourage you to try non-drug coping skills such as journaling, as this is one way of catching your thought processes early enough and then working toward specific non-drug coping skills that can stop these symptoms very early on.

This is how I managed to handle my symptoms after 30 years of really extreme states of mood and mind. 

I'm afraid if you don't learn this, you're going to keep turning to more drugs. Eventually, the mind and body are simply not able to handle this path. At least that was my experience.

I hope this information is helpful and you can incorporate it into your own narrative.

Sending healing vibes your way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find this topic helpful.  There are links to various websites:

journaling/journalling/writing-therapy/therapeutic-writing

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you for the links Shep and Cheesie.... I am in a bind because I think the lithium is causing me problems.....I have been itching for about a week, having bad stomach aches but the worst part is I think it is making my low grade underlying restless/agitation/akathisia worse....can lithium do this and if so since I have been on a low dosage....450 mg for just shy of two weeks would I need to wean or could I just stop it?  Thanks!

I need advice....I quit prozac last september....did relatively well until three months later (January 2016) then crashed with akathisia type withdrawal symptoms....tried to reinstate prozac....made it worse....tried to start lexapro....made me very, very depressed....so ended up in hospital and was taken off of anti d's and put on lamictal and gabapentin....stayed on that for a couple of months but did not help that much....tried to go on effexor in April....it helped some but suffered from anhedonia....so switched to prozac to bridge off and was going to try and stay on prozac but it made me too anxious and agitated so dr. had me quit that the end of July 2016....tried eleavil for 3 weeks did not work....too depressed....so now I am in a huge mess....I have akathisia and it is getting worse.  Dr. tried lithium but that seems to make it worse.  I am at a cross roads....I can't live like this any longer....it has been 3 years of hell...do I try a different ad at a low dosage like celexa, or zoloft or do I go back on klonopin?  I have to have something.....I can not stand this inner turmoil and agitation.....I have tried walking, meditation, mindfulness, coloring, distraction, epsom salt baths, fish oil, magnesium, and other supplements....something has got to give.

help someone please....I have 10 mg prozac tablets left over should I try to break one in half and then in half again for 2.5 mg?

Should I try a different antidepressant?  If I try to reinstate for the millionth time do you think it will make my akathisia worse?

• Moderator Emeritus

From https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a681039.html#side-effects

What side effects can this medication cause?

Lithium may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

• restlessness
  • fine hand movements that are difficult to control
  • mild thirst
  • loss of appetite
  • stomach pain
  • gas
  • indigestion
  • weight gain or loss
  • dry mouth
  • excessive saliva in the mouth
  • change in the ability to taste food
  • swollen lips
  • acne
  • hair loss
  • unusual discomfort in cold temperatures
  • constipation
  • depression
  • joint or muscle pain
  • paleness
  • thin, brittle fingernails or hair
  • itching
  • rash

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks CheesieCat....I have called my dr. twice today and he wants me to take klonopin and seroquel and stop the lithium....I have had to take .5 mg of klonopin 2 x already today and it has helped a little....the first dosage this morning at 6 am helped until mid this afternoon and I just took another about a half of an hour ago....I am on the verge of being suicidal or going back to the hospital where I know they won't do any good.....I asked my dr. if I should go because they might have some of the antiparkinson drugs there he said they would just probably give me klonopin....I guess I will take the stupid seroquel and let it screw me up and go to the dr.'s office tomorrow and show them wheat akathisia looks like then they will lock me up.....if that happens I guess it is better than me doing something to myself here at home where my family would find me and I don't want that.  Maybe I will be put in a straight jacket....I am not being a smart butt I mean that....probably be the best thing for me.

Hi DG,

Sorry to hear you are struggling so much. I wish there was something I could do to help. Are you still taking the propranolol? That's what they gave me for akathisia. They did not lock me up or put me in a straight jacket either. Did you go off of the lithium or are starting to taper it. It sounds like things got a lot worse when you started taking it.

I know it is hard when these drugs cause such horrible side effects and withdrawal effects. I know when I couldn't sit still all I did was walk and nothing helped. Hopefully they will be able to work with you tomorrow and figure something out to help you.

I'm thinking about you and sending healing energy your way,

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

Thanks T....my dr. wants me to cease the lithium so my next dosage is around 7 pm and I am not going to take it.  I appreciate your concern....my problem is I am willing to reinstate a ssri but since January they seem to go paradoxical on me.....but I can't handle this.....I wish this akathisia was just drug related so that when is topped the drug it would go a way but it was a very low grade akathisia before the lithium.....the lithium just made it worse...my original low grade akathisia is due to withdrawal.....I am so sad I had to take klonopin today....even that is not working like it used to....I am beyond hope.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DG, I have read your posts today and can relate immensely to the intense desire to get off of anti-depressants drugs as quickly as possible, as well as not having to suffer while doing so.  Unfortunately, I don't think a magic pill or supplement exists and the steps to get off these drugs are written here.  In reading your posts, it would appear you are still trying to find that magic bullet that will end your suffering and in the meanwhile, you have inadvertently added to your suffering, immensely, by making so many changes to your medications over the last couple of years.

I'm not an expert, I've just started the withdrawal process, but in reading and re-reading numerous member's posts over the last month, I wanted to find out who is having success and who is suffering to ensure that once I started the taper, I would have a safe and relatively smooth transition off of these drugs.  Initially, I didn't want to hear that you had to slowly taper off of these drugs, I wanted them out of my system now!!!  Or to make long holds between tapers, I wanted to ignore the people who said that I needed to hold until the withdrawal symptoms calmed down before reducing ... remember I wanted these drugs out of my system and as quickly as possible!!!  Thank God sanity prevailed and realized that the people on this site know through years and years of experience after doing immense research and dealing with many people withdrawing off of these drugs, they had the best advice to get off of these drugs in the safest manner possible.  

Had I gone ahead and tapered before it was clear that my mind and body were ready, I am convinced that I would have inadvertently started a long spiral into the depths of misery and endured months and months of unnecessary withdrawal symptoms that could have been avoided if only I had listened. I'd tried to withdrawal a couple of times years ago with horrid withdrawal symptoms and ended up back on the drugs that I so desperately wanted to get off of.  Lesson learned.

I have a lot of empathy and sympathy for what you are going through, I can hear myself in your panic, but I implore you to listen to the people on this site for their advice and expertise as they know what they are talking about.  What little I do know at this point, is that you have to give yourself the opportunity to stabilize on ONE antidepressant before making any changes or attempts at withdrawing.  It would appear that your problems started with your quick taper off of Effexor which is the drug I am trying to get off now.  Think that once you are able to stabilize on an antidepressant that can settle your current symptoms and then staying on that antidepressant for a long while, you could then think about tapering again and find eventual success off of antidepressants.  

Wishing you good luck in your journey.

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a beautiful post Baroquep :)

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks CheesieCat....I have called my dr. twice today and he wants me to take klonopin and seroquel and stop the lithium....I have had to take .5 mg of klonopin 2 x already today and it has helped a little....the first dosage this morning at 6 am helped until mid this afternoon and I just took another about a half of an hour ago....I am on the verge of being suicidal or going back to the hospital where I know they won't do any good.....I asked my dr. if I should go because they might have some of the antiparkinson drugs there he said they would just probably give me klonopin....I guess I will take the stupid seroquel and let it screw me up and go to the dr.'s office tomorrow and show them wheat akathisia looks like then they will lock me up.....if that happens I guess it is better than me doing something to myself here at home where my family would find me and I don't want that.  Maybe I will be put in a straight jacket....I am not being a smart butt I mean that....probably be the best thing for me.

Hi, Downton.

I bolded your statement about your Klonopin use. This, as I'm sure you are aware, is a very dangerous path to go down. Klonopin is a central nervous system depressant.  It wasn't until I got completely off benzos that my suicidal thoughts disappeared. Now they only reappear when I catastrophize due to financial, work, and personal problems. In other words, it's situational.

And I have to wonder if you're also dealing with situational problems that are feeding into your withdrawal and taking you into some really dark places. Your post here was the most honest and real post I've read on your thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11041-downtongirl-i-want-to-become-med-free/?p=242520

If these kinds of situational stressors are causing you so much pain you are reaching for drugs to cope, please try to target your non-drug coping skills so that you can nurture your CNS while dealing with home stressors. 

I also think that fears about being drug free for the first time in decades may be at play here. Venturing into the unknown carries so much stress and worry. But once you get off these drugs, give your mind/body time to heal, and can focus on a future where YOU get to be in control - not the drugs and not the doctors and not your family - that's when life gets better.

I would not take any more Klonopin. Benzos are notorious for causing kindling, with the next withdrawal being more brutal then the one before. 

From that post I linked to, you come across as being very strong when you need to be, taking care of your family, driving yourself to the hospital when you were in labor, and putting up with a lot of stress over the years. 

Tap into that strength now. It does get a lot easier when you're off the drugs and into the healing timeframe. 

Hey DG,

I hope you had a better day today.

I just read the posts after mine and they are amazing in their insight. I know that you have the strength to follow their wisdom and advice. 

Know I am thinking of you and sending healing energy your way.

{{{Hugs}}}

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

Hi DG, I have read your posts today and can relate immensely to the intense desire to get off of anti-depressants drugs as quickly as possible, as well as not having to suffer while doing so.  Unfortunately, I don't think a magic pill or supplement exists and the steps to get off these drugs are written here.  In reading your posts, it would appear you are still trying to find that magic bullet that will end your suffering and in the meanwhile, you have inadvertently added to your suffering, immensely, by making so many changes to your medications over the last couple of years.

I'm not an expert, I've just started the withdrawal process, but in reading and re-reading numerous member's posts over the last month, I wanted to find out who is having success and who is suffering to ensure that once I started the taper, I would have a safe and relatively smooth transition off of these drugs.  Initially, I didn't want to hear that you had to slowly taper off of these drugs, I wanted them out of my system now!!!  Or to make long holds between tapers, I wanted to ignore the people who said that I needed to hold until the withdrawal symptoms calmed down before reducing ... remember I wanted these drugs out of my system and as quickly as possible!!!  Thank God sanity prevailed and realized that the people on this site know through years and years of experience after doing immense research and dealing with many people withdrawing off of these drugs, they had the best advice to get off of these drugs in the safest manner possible.  

Had I gone ahead and tapered before it was clear that my mind and body were ready, I am convinced that I would have inadvertently started a long spiral into the depths of misery and endured months and months of unnecessary withdrawal symptoms that could have been avoided if only I had listened. I'd tried to withdrawal a couple of times years ago with horrid withdrawal symptoms and ended up back on the drugs that I so desperately wanted to get off of.  Lesson learned.

I have a lot of empathy and sympathy for what you are going through, I can hear myself in your panic, but I implore you to listen to the people on this site for their advice and expertise as they know what they are talking about.  What little I do know at this point, is that you have to give yourself the opportunity to stabilize on ONE antidepressant before making any changes or attempts at withdrawing.  It would appear that your problems started with your quick taper off of Effexor which is the drug I am trying to get off now.  Think that once you are able to stabilize on an antidepressant that can settle your current symptoms and then staying on that antidepressant for a long while, you could then think about tapering again and find eventual success off of antidepressants.  

Wishing you good luck in your journey.

Thanks bar....for your thoughtful post.  I appreciate you taking the time to read my thread and to reply.  I agree with everything you said and if I could find an antidepressant that I could get stable on I would gladly and excitingly do it.  I have tried effexor, prozac, amitryptiline and lexapro and I could not get stable on any of them.  Do you think I should try celexa or the new one trintellix?

Hi, Downton.

I bolded your statement about your Klonopin use. This, as I'm sure you are aware, is a very dangerous path to go down. Klonopin is a central nervous system depressant.  It wasn't until I got completely off benzos that my suicidal thoughts disappeared. Now they only reappear when I catastrophize due to financial, work, and personal problems. In other words, it's situational.

And I have to wonder if you're also dealing with situational problems that are feeding into your withdrawal and taking you into some really dark places. Your post here was the most honest and real post I've read on your thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11041-downtongirl-i-want-to-become-med-free/?p=242520

If these kinds of situational stressors are causing you so much pain you are reaching for drugs to cope, please try to target your non-drug coping skills so that you can nurture your CNS while dealing with home stressors. 

I also think that fears about being drug free for the first time in decades may be at play here. Venturing into the unknown carries so much stress and worry. But once you get off these drugs, give your mind/body time to heal, and can focus on a future where YOU get to be in control - not the drugs and not the doctors and not your family - that's when life gets better.

I would not take any more Klonopin. Benzos are notorious for causing kindling, with the next withdrawal being more brutal then the one before. 

From that post I linked to, you come across as being very strong when you need to be, taking care of your family, driving yourself to the hospital when you were in labor, and putting up with a lot of stress over the years. 

Tap into that strength now. It does get a lot easier when you're off the drugs and into the healing timeframe. 

Hey Shep...thanks for posting on my thread....I hear you about stressors and I am being totally honest when I say this akathisia is not environmentally induced.  This weekend was a great weekend.  My brother came to visit whom I love dearly....we as a family laughed, went out to eat, went to visit my aunt and cousins and I was enjoying myself!  I agree with you about klonopin and did not take anymore today.  last night around 7 pm I did take seroquel upon the advice of my dr......I had called the emergency line.  I was on the verge of running down my road screaming and was afraid I would get locked up and am trying at all costs to avoid that.  The seroquel....50 mg did calm me down and of course it made me sleep really well....today I have felt a little hungover.  I had an appointment with my psych dr. today and I think he is beginning to believe I have withdrawal induced akathisia instead of bipolar....he is not 100% there but I told him the reason I think the seroquel helped was because at low dosages it has considerable antichollinergic/antihistamine properties and one know treatment for akathisia is benedryl....an antihistamine.  He wants me to take a low dosage of seroquel and hydroxyzine for a few days (until Friday) and see what that does....if that does not calm down the akathisia enough then he says we may have to look at trying a low dosage of another ssri.  He does not want to add the ssri unless we have to.  I  took a 10 mg hydroxyzine around 4 pm today and it has held off of pacing, hand wring, high adrenaline, feel like I am going to explode feelings somewhat...I can tell they are under the surface but so far it is helping.  I wonder how long I can take hydroxyzine for the akathisia and it remain affective.  I was reading at mad in america and there was an article by Dr. Shapiro that said withdrawal akathisia could be permanent which scares the hell out of me.  What do I do Shep.....I have to take something when the akathisia gets too high....should I take the hydroxyzine, low dosage of seroquel, and if that does not work should I try to reinstate a ssri?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks bar....for your thoughtful post.  I appreciate you taking the time to read my thread and to reply.  I agree with everything you said and if I could find an antidepressant that I could get stable on I would gladly and excitingly do it.  I have tried effexor, prozac, amitryptiline and lexapro and I could not get stable on any of them.  Do you think I should try celexa or the new one trintellix?

Downton, I am very uncomfortable with this post. You are asking members to recommend psychiatric drugs.

Please note this from the guidelines you agreed to when you signed up:

Drug shopping or recommending drugs

This is a site for going off drugs. It is not a site for finding out what drug to take next, comparing drug cocktails, or recommending what drug to add. This could be dangerous. People could be hurt by your advice.

(We do not know of any drugs or drug combination that will fix withdrawal syndrome. Reinstatement of the original drug, often at a low dose, sometimes helps and sometimes does not.)

If you want to discuss your diagnoses and talk about adding to your drug cocktail, there are other support sites for this, such as http://PatientsLikeMe.com.

What do I do Shep.....I have to take something when the akathisia gets too high....should I take the hydroxyzine, low dosage of seroquel, and if that does not work should I try to reinstate a ssri?

While we all sympathize with the pain that comes from going off these drugs, we are not a site that advocates the use of psychiatric drugs to "fix" withdrawal. 

While reinstatement may help in some cases, we have already discussed this on your thread. As you just posted, you have tried numerous other drugs, including the time you've been a member here. I would encourage you to read through your thread, especially the many links to non-drug coping skills. There are many ways of handling akathisia that don't involve adding drugs that cause akathisia and destabilize your CNS even further. 

I have gone for many, many walks to help with akathisia, including pacing my apartment when I didn't feel up to going outside (or at night when it's not safe in my neighborhood). Some people do yoga or Tai Chi, if they can. 

Others cope with music. I had a friend on a benzo forum who would crank up the stereo and dance to her akathisia until she was exhausted and could rest for a few minutes at a time. She's now several years off benzos and doing great. So these skills do work. 

It sounds like you are having catastrophic thoughts with your akathisia, which is why you're going into these dark places. So I would concentrate on the non-drug coping skills focused on catastrophic thinking (such as "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms) and let that lead to some healthier ways of dealing with akathisia.

I apologize to you Shep and to all of the board members for any misconduct.

Well....I did not take any seroquel or klonopin yesterday.  I just took a 10 mg of hydroxyzine at 4 pm yesterday and I was able to sleep really well last night... best sleep I have had in probably 3 years.  I slept from 11 pm until 9 am.  Today I did not have the large diet coke that I usually have for breakfast and had water with my cereal instead.  I had morning and afternoon depression and depersonalization with some slight dizziness.  I don't know if this is from the prozac/trazadone withdrawal or hydroxyzine.  I tend to think it is from the withdrawal.  I took only 5 mg of hydroxyzine this afternoon....I am trying to find the lowest possible affective dosage for me to use.  Today the akathisia has been held back and I thank God for that.  My plan is to use the lowest dosage of hydroxyzine for the akathisia as long as it is working.  

I have a question for those more knowledgeable about akathisia than I....

1.  Has anyone on this board used benedryl, hydroxyzine, for akathisia and what was your outcome?

• Moderator Emeritus

DG,

Daily diet coke for breakfast?  Seriously?

Might be the first place to start to try to get some of your symptoms under control.  With sensitized nervous system, the combination of caffeine and sugar substitute could be enough to send you over the edge.

If you really want to see the results you are seeking, try living completely clean for a month and see if that makes a difference.  

Nothing to lose.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks so much Andy for your reply.  I know my diet stinks.  I replaced my caffeine (diet coke) for the day with unsweet tea with lemon.  I know the tea is not probably good for me either but at the least it is better than the diet coke with the aspartame.  I have spent a good amount of time today googling low histamine foods and went to the grocery store and bought some items to make some smoothies.  I am going to try and change my diet up.  I also spent some time outside in the sunshine getting some exercise....nothing crazy but some exercise....which I have been doing well getting in walking most days since March.  I will also continue my epsom salt baths.

Hi DG,

I'm glad you were able to get some decent sleep. I think it's a great idea that you are working on cleaning up your diet. I think that could go a long way to helping with your withdrawal symptoms. I can't have caffeine and I have to be super careful with chocolate. I had a day that I had a full serving of a chocolate bar and my symptoms went crazy. It sucks that we can't even have our comfort foods. 

I'm glad you were able to get out into the sunshine today. I don't know where you live but we don't have much more time in the sunshine here. It is about to get really cold and the cold seems to make my symptoms worse so on days when my agoraphobia is lower, like today :) I also go outside and try to get a walk in. Much more than a walk and I end up with more withdrawal symptoms. 

I wish you didn't have to deal with the akathisia. I'm glad your doctor is working with you and starting to come around to believing it is withdrawal related. It's so frustrating when they don't believe us. 

I'm thinking about you and sending healing vibes your way,

Hugs

Thank you T....I so appreciate your faithfulness in always stopping by my thread!  I read that you were able to get out some too and that is wonderful!  I hope you continue to do well.  Hugs!

Well so far today I have not taken any prescription medicine. I have had some depersonalization and mood swings with some agitation so I went outside and did some physical yard work for about an hour and a half which seemed to help...for how long I don't know but am grateful it helped. Does anyone know why physical exertion or exercise helps agitation/akathisia?

• Moderator Emeritus

Does anyone know why physical exertion or exercise helps agitation/akathisia? 

I'm wondering if it's taking your mind off the akathisia, perhaps? Also, exercise can release endorphins, and there's the good effects of being outside in the fresh air and sunshine. 

It's so great to see you posting about non-drug coping skills instead of taking more drugs. I hope this continues and you keep getting good results. 

• Administrator

As long as you don't overdo it, moving around helps the entire body and nervous system work better.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Does anyone know why physical exertion or exercise helps agitation/akathisia? 

I'm wondering if it's taking your mind off the akathisia, perhaps? Also, exercise can release endorphins, and there's the good effects of being outside in the fresh air and sunshine. 

It's so great to see you posting about non-drug coping skills instead of taking more drugs. I hope this continues and you keep getting good results. 

Thank you Shep...I really appreciate the encouragement!  I am not making any promises but I am trying one day at a time to try anything non drug related.  I picked up the class schedule at the gym I am a member of this evening after supper and am looking at trying a cycling class....since I have all of this built up energy in m y legs....also maybe a zumba class since i used to dance as a child and teenager and water aerobics.....I am also wondering if the physical exertion releases frustration and uses up some norepinephrine/adrenaline....I was really calm and peaceful for about an hour after the yard work....(cutting up limbs and moving tree limbs from downed trees from hurricane Matthew).  It was really nice...clear head....enjoyed listening to music...really enjoyed it.  Later this afternoon after the hour time period of being calm after the exercise I started to get some inner vibrations and buzzing...felt a little anxiety...is this part of akathisia too?  It went away after about 10 minutes....I was sitting in the recliner and just closed my eyes and tried to let it pass and it did.

As long as you don't overdo it, moving around helps the entire body and nervous system work better.

Thanks Altostrata....I enjoyed the physical activity....I am thinking about trying a beginners cycling class at our gym or a water aerobics class....maybe a hot detox yoga class....what are your thoughts?  I guess I can always try and if my symptoms increase then don't go back huh?

• Moderator Emeritus

Of the options you list, water aerobics is likely to be the most gentle and therefore the best option.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I agree with Scallywag, but then I can't do anything more than a gentle walk without repercussions. 

Start slow and see how it goes. If after the water aerobics you feel like you could have done more than try something slightly more intense. Kind of like when we try new supplements. Start low and go slow :)

I hope you are doing well today,

Hugs

I really don't know what to make of what is going on with me....Sunday was horrible agitation/anxiety....Monday hypomania and mood swings were prevalent, Tuesday a mixture of blurry vision, heart palpitations, mood swings were very high, Wednesday, hypomania, mood swings still high....today the anxiety is better but derealization/depersonalization is high.....I guess this means my brain is struggling trying to repair itself.  It has been 12 weeks today since I took my last prozac pill and one week since my last trazadone pill.  I only slept 5 hours last night but am grateful for it because I did not take a sleep aid.  I have been very tired today so I only managed a 20 minute walk so that means no yard work.  When the akathisia/agitation is higher I have more energy albeit negative energy so I do more physical exercise....when the depersonalization/derealization is higher I am more tired.  I am glad so far today the akathisia is better....my heart wants to think this means it is leaving me and will not return but from what I have read on here that will probably not be the case.  

Well today has brought flu like symptoms...nausea, stomach cramps, body aches, chills, fatigue but can't sleep. I had an appointment with my psych dr and I think he finally believes I have withdrawal and I asked him what was the longest it took any of his patients to recover from stopping antidepressant use he said a year...I thought to myself yea right if I could be so lucky! I'm really sad and scared because my precious baby girl just told me she is getting married in 14 months and I so want to be there to help her with the wedding plans. I only have one daughter and did not get to have a real wedding just got married by the justice of the peace when the I got married so I want to help her make her wedding special and enjoy this process with her. I pray God will have me healed or mostly healed by then.