☼ NaturalBorn: Effexor cold turkey 300 mg

NaturalBorn

Hey NB! I'm so sorry to hear you have had trouble sleeping. It's the most annoying symptom. However, I wouldn't worry about the dizziness. You said you haven't slept properly in days. Even with no WD you'd get dizzy with that little sleep. Is there anything natural that might help you sleep? Lavender, valerian etc?

History:

Escitalopram 10mg Nov - Jan 2016 (switched to Effexor XR)

Effexor XR 37,5mg Jan - Feb 2016; 75mg Feb - April 2016; 37,5mg for one week in April, 75mg April-July 2016 (started tapering, took my last beads on Sept 11.)

The fluctuations happened because my GP mistakingly prescribed me the wrong dosage.

Oxazepam 2x10mg Dec 2015 - Jan 2016 (basically CT but no apparent symptoms); June 2016 - Feb 2017 (c/o to Valium)

Current:

Valdoxan 25mg Dec 2015 - Sept 2016. 12.4mg (Sept - Nov '16) -> 11.86mg (Nov '16) -> 10.75mg (Dec '16) -> 9.75mg (Jan '17) -> 8mg (March '17) -> 7mg (April '17) -> 4.5mg (May '17) -> 4mg (Jan '18) -> updosed to 4.5mg in the end of January

Valium (liquid form) 8.5mg Feb 2017. 7.6mg (June '17) -> 7.2mg (June '17) -> 6.8mg (July '17) -> 6.4 (Sept '17) -> 6.2 (March '18) -> 6 (April 7 '18) -> 5.8 (April 17 '18) -> 5.6 (April 26 '18) -> 5.4 (July 16 '18) -> 5.2 (March '20) -> 5 (March '20)

What to take away from all this: if you feel extremely sick only after a few doses of an AD, please tell your doctor and just stop. Adding medications is no bueno.

i'm taking a natural supplement called ritmoneuran, i have no idea what's called in usa, i don't feel any difference whatsoever

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in march of 2016 was at 300mg again

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

in september tried reducing trazadone to 50mg

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

currently taking 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel at night

Sorry to heat that they aren't helping. Have you tried anything else? I've gone through many different ones and finally found that lavender supplements help me. How did you sleep today?

History:

Effexor XR 37,5mg Jan - Feb 2016; 75mg Feb - April 2016; 37,5mg for one week in April, 75mg April-July 2016 (started tapering, took my last beads on Sept 11.)

The fluctuations happened because my GP mistakingly prescribed me the wrong dosage.

Oxazepam 2x10mg Dec 2015 - Jan 2016 (basically CT but no apparent symptoms); June 2016 - Feb 2017 (c/o to Valium)

Current:

Valdoxan 25mg Dec 2015 - Sept 2016. 12.4mg (Sept - Nov '16) -> 11.86mg (Nov '16) -> 10.75mg (Dec '16) -> 9.75mg (Jan '17) -> 8mg (March '17) -> 7mg (April '17) -> 4.5mg (May '17) -> 4mg (Jan '18) -> updosed to 4.5mg in the end of January

Valium (liquid form) 8.5mg Feb 2017. 7.6mg (June '17) -> 7.2mg (June '17) -> 6.8mg (July '17) -> 6.4 (Sept '17) -> 6.2 (March '18) -> 6 (April 7 '18) -> 5.8 (April 17 '18) -> 5.6 (April 26 '18) -> 5.4 (July 16 '18) -> 5.2 (March '20) -> 5 (March '20)

What to take away from all this: if you feel extremely sick only after a few doses of an AD, please tell your doctor and just stop. Adding medications is no bueno.

i have taken a lot of supplements, as you can see in my signature, but for sleep i have only taken that one, i'm thinking about taking melatonin as well, but i'm pretty hopeless, yeah this night i only slept like 5 hours, but it's better then nothing i guess.

(i'm brazlian so please, ignore spelling mistakes) 2015 the beggining of the year started with effexor xr 37,5

went up to 300mgs

in october of 2015 quitted COLD TURKEY/took olanzapine 5mgs for 2 weeks around november/ reinstated effexor in january of 2016

in may tappered effexor xr and added trazodone 150mgs, seroquel 50mgs and abilify 10 mgs/in july cold turkey from abilify (no big deal)

after 2 weeks went back to 150mgs of trazadone and 50 mgs of seroquel and added 2 mgs of klonopin to use WHEN NEEDEED

I know how much you struggle NB so I thought you might like this quote that I found on a Facebook Benzo site:

One more thing to share today. Such a powerful dialogue between Frodo and Sam in The Return of the King from Lord of the Rings trilogy. Really applies to this journey we are on:

FRODO: I can’t do this, Sam. 

SAM: I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy. How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened. 

But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. Because they were holding on to something. 

FRODO: What are we holding on to, Sam? 

SAM: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for."

I hope you are finding some peace today,

Hugs 

thanks tntd, i hope i can get out of the woods some day, then i will be able to put everything in perspective, like now it's a nightmare, i'm really crappy, really suffering from symptoms right here, this is despair, it's ridiculous that drug companies know about this and simply let the doctors prescribe it

went up to 300mgs

Hold fast man, you got to be patient I know you want to get off all the crap. But it makes it harder in the long run. You are doing great. As times goes on.you will get more windows. I got a few days last week were i felt great. Just keep going mindfulness helps me through the real nightmare days. If i can do it, you can too.

i'm just worried because i never had really windowns, and i went cold turkey that probably made my situation 100 timesworse,

went up to 300mgs

thanks tntd, i hope i can get out of the woods some day, then i will be able to put everything in perspective, like now it's a nightmare, i'm really crappy, really suffering from symptoms right here, this is despair, it's ridiculous that drug companies know about this and simply let the doctors prescribe it

You will make it out of the woods, it will just take time and being able to deal with these horrible symptoms anyway we can. You know I've started my benzo taper and I'm still in withdrawal from my CT so I get it. I was fortunate enough to have windows at first but then they stopped and things just kept getting worse. For me that was because of the tolerance to the benzo. For you, eventually, if you continue to treat your body well and eat healthy etc, you should slowly get better. Not everyone gets windows and waves some people just slowly get better. I've read stories where they didn't really realize they were getting better until they looked back at older posts or journaling they had done. It happens but it doesn't happen nearly as fast as we would like. I hope you have found ways to distract or skills that you have found help somewhat.

Sending healing vibes your way, and hugs of course :)  We will get through this. Try to stay positive in whatever way you can.

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

i'm wondering if anybody have ever recovered from tardive dyskinesia? or any movement disorder from AP?

i took 2 weeks of olanzapine, a m onth and a half of abilify (went cold turkey, bad idea), and seroquel i have been taking for 4 months, never above 100 mgs, i was already having movement disorders from the effexor cold turkey, and i heard that if you already have some movement problems of any kind you are more likely to develop TD if you go on antipsychotics....

i also heard that this is very likely to be permanent, i'm freaking out!

i'm having involuntary movements and shaking, but i don't know if this is from the antipsychotics or the effexor cold turkey as i said...

can anyone recover from this?

should i be worried about TD? since i only took ap for a shor period of time...

IF i develop this, how can i know if this will be permanent?

went up to 300mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

NB I've moved your post to your intro topic so that you'll see my reply.

You could ask that question in the TD topic: Tardive dyskinesia or involuntary movements

Please remember to search for existing topics, especially when it comes to symptoms. For example you could use these as your google search terms

site:survivingantidepressants.org "tardive dyskinesia"

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

You will make it out of the woods, it will just take time and being able to deal with these horrible symptoms anyway we can. You know I've started my benzo taper and I'm still in withdrawal from my CT so I get it. I was fortunate enough to have windows at first but then they stopped and things just kept getting worse. For me that was because of the tolerance to the benzo. For you, eventually, if you continue to treat your body well and eat healthy etc, you should slowly get better. Not everyone gets windows and waves some people just slowly get better. I've read stories where they didn't really realize they were getting better until they looked back at older posts or journaling they had done. It happens but it doesn't happen nearly as fast as we would like. I hope you have found ways to distract or skills that you have found help somewhat.

Sending healing vibes your way, and hugs of course :)  We will get through this. Try to stay positive in whatever way you can.

i really hope so, right now this sucks, i just saw a video yesterday about a guy who went through a horrific xanax withdrawal, a pretty smart guy, he posted a video 3 years later and said that most of the people will recover from antidepressants and benzos withdrawal, but antipsychotics however it's more likely to cause permanent side effects and you probably "wont come back" (his actual words)

that is freaking me out, since i went on antipsychotics by no choice of my own, they pretty much just made me take them when i was on rehab. in the video he said that wonce your brain gets changed from the dopamine blocking effects your brain cannot heal from that, so that's why people have permanent movement disorders.... this is scarying the **** out of me

went up to 300mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

What did you used to do when you were bored and wanted to distract yourself?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

What did you used to do when you were bored and wanted to distract yourself?

hang out with friends, play games, work out, music, stuff like  that

went up to 300mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

How much time do you spend doing each of those now? How could you spend more time doing those kinds of things?

scallywag's Introduction

How much time do you spend doing each of those now? How could you spend more time doing those kinds of things?

i spend all my days laying in bed or in fron of the computer reading about medications, i really can't do anything else

went up to 300mgs

i'm so pissed off for letting the doctor at the rehab put me at 15 mgs of abilify, that's a huge dosage, i was not feeling anything but anxiety, this sucks, there is so much few success stories from antipsychotics, and on top of that i have a cold turkey and other meds to deal with, i don't know what to do

went up to 300mgs

i really don't think i'm gonna recover from that, to many meds, to many changes, this is insane

went up to 300mgs

now after more 2 days without sleep, 2 ambien 12,5, trazadone and seroquel, i freaked out and went to see my doctor, he wants me off seroquel right now, off trazadone in 3 weeks, and whants to add tegretol, propranolol, and klonopin daily, my mom took the seroquel from me.

went up to 300mgs

Wow dude. Klonopin is not something you want to mess with. A documentary just came out about it. You think your in bad shape now? Brnzo withdrawal lasts years and years. Drop your doctor and find someone else IMO

Hi NB,

Sounds like your are really struggling. My doctor also told me to take klonopin daily when I was struggling. Now I'm struggling even more and it looks like it will take years for me to taper off of 1.25mg of it. Just doing a micro taper has thrown me into major withdrawal and after only reducing by .019mg I am having to hold. Klonopin like other benzo's are only supposed to be used short term 2-4 weeks and even then they can be addictive. Here is one source for that recommendation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7525193I don't know why doctors continue to prescribe these medications for daily long term use. They are considered one of the worst drugs to try to taper off of and that is saying a lot on a website for surviving antidepressants.

Sorry for the rant. I've had a really rough day too with my klonopin taper and withdrawal symptoms from it. 

I hope that you can find some peace and that if you feel you need to use these medications you do so with informed consent. Look them up and know what you are getting into and how hard it may be to get out of. 

I'm so sorry your mom took the seroquel away and now you can't do any kind of taper with it. I hope it does not cause additional harm. 

I'm thinking of you and sending healing vibes your way.

Hugs

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

• Moderator Emeritus

NB - you know that your doctor's plan is inadvisable - forcing a cold turkey off seroquel and then a fast taper off trazodone and switching the benzo (or adding a 2nd). Yikes, this person needs a knowledge and compassion transfusion STAT.

Can you talk to your mom about what you want to do?  Can you talk to your doctor about what you think makes sense for you?

At your age, are you considered a legal adult in Brazil?

scallywag's Introduction

Hey NB! How are you doing? I think Brazil legally considers everyone over 18 adults. Is it possible that you change your doctor without discussing this with your mother? It may be a pain, but there have to be some doctors that are more understanding. Even if they don't know about withdrawal, they might be moe compassionate and supportive.

History:

Current:

Hey NB! How are you doing? I think Brazil legally considers everyone over 18 adults. Is it possible that you change your doctor without discussing this with your mother? It may be a pain, but there have to be some doctors that are more understanding. Even if they don't know about withdrawal, they might be moe compassionate and supportive.

yes i did went to a doctor twice this week without telling her, spend $600 for nothing all he did was try to put me on antipsychotics

went up to 300mgs

How frustrating. How are you doing and what is your plan now?

Hugs

yes i did went to a doctor twice this week without telling her, spend $600 for nothing all he did was try to put me on antipsychotics

I'm so sorry to hear that. Is it maybe possible to google local forums or sites for information about different doctors? Over here we have special websites where you can review doctors and people also talk about doctors in forums. Maybe that way you can find someone who is more supportive?

History:

Current:

NB - you know that your doctor's plan is inadvisable - forcing a cold turkey off seroquel and then a fast taper off trazodone and switching the benzo (or adding a 2nd). Yikes, this person needs a knowledge and compassion transfusion STAT.

Can you talk to your mom about what you want to do?  Can you talk to your doctor about what you think makes sense for you?

At your age, are you considered a legal adult in Brazil?

yes i'm considered an adult, every doctor that i go they only suggest more meds, or say i'm bipolar, my mom pretty much believes everything doctors tell us

she has no idea that meds can be dangerous... so once the doctor said that, she took the seroquel and the trazadone away from me, and is now trying to push me to take the tegretol, wich i tried a couple of times but i'm not longer taking it,  doctors are completely uselles

they only suggest rapid tappers, new meds, and stuff like that

went up to 300mgs

How frustrating. How are you doing and what is your plan now?

Hugs

i have no idea, she took both of the meds i was on, and now i'm taking 75 of trazadone and 0 seroquel, i'm screwed, my plan is to stick on the klonopin, and use it like 2 times a week to relief myself is things get to bad, i'm planing on going on a huge dosage of klonopin dayle, but that's after i wait for some healing to happen, then i'm just gonna stay on it for the rest of my life

went up to 300mgs

I'm so sorry to hear that. Is it maybe possible to google local forums or sites for information about different doctors? Over here we have special websites where you can review doctors and people also talk about doctors in forums. Maybe that way you can find someone who is more supportive?

doctors are not helping at all i have no idea what to do

went up to 300mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are a legal adult, you should be able to insist on privacy for consultation with the doctor, in other words that only you and the doctor are in the the room.

Your mother is naturally very concerned for you and may need to learn to trust you. It's a challenging spot in which you find yourself.

I wonder if the ideas in this topics might help you in talking with your mother:
How do you talk to your doctor about tapering and withdrawal
What to expect from your doctor about withdrawal symptoms

scallywag's Introduction

If you are a legal adult, you should be able to insist on privacy for consultation with the doctor, in other words that only you and the doctor are in the the room.

Your mother is naturally very concerned for you and may need to learn to trust you. It's a challenging spot in which you find yourself.

I wonder if the ideas in this topics might help you in talking with your mother:

How do you talk to your doctor about tapering and withdrawal

What to expect from your doctor about withdrawal symptoms

i'm considering saint dame, i hear people got cured from alcoholism and stuff like that,

went up to 300mgs

To be frank , I don't think you will be any better off. What can they do ?  I think if you can follow the tapering schedule we propose then you will be fine.

I understand the angst and the panic. It's understandable and we have all been there.

If you stop worrying and stop second guessing, and have a little faith then your taper should go smoothly from this point on. You can do this .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

To be frank , I don't think you will be any better off. What can they do ?  I think if you can follow the tapering schedule we propose then you will be fine.

I understand the angst and the panic. It's understandable and we have all been there.

If you stop worrying and stop second guessing, and have a little faith then your taper should go smoothly from this point on. You can do this .

Ali

since that tegretol i'm off balance, k can't walk without holding to walls, i was just tryong to get my computer and fell out of my bed and hurt my arm, ii think i'm gonna kill myself

went up to 300mgs

Ali

since that tegretol i'm off balance, k can't walk without holding to walls, i was just tryong to get my computer and fell out of my bed and hurt my arm, ii think i'm gonna kill myself

NB, this is only temporary. Losing balance is a side effect of Tegretol. Please follow the slow taper. Ask the doctor to prescribe you your previous medication and keep tapering slowly. You will get better. The state your are in is caused by the constant changes, you need stability to heal. Tomorrow is another day. Sending hugs your way.

History:

Current:

Please don't say that.  We are an online community with limited resources. We all have our moments. They are only temporary. If you are serious then you need to find local help. 

https://www.yelp.com.au/search?cflt=c_and_mh&find_loc=Curitiba+-+PR

There were times I felt like you. It's the drugs, it's not you. You have to try and understand that.

Hang in there ,

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

We understand how distressed and desperate people can feel.  Please read For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

Below are the details of one of the hotlines in Brazil from this site brazil-suicide-hotlines

CVV - Curitiba
Rua Carneiro Lobo, 35
CEP 80240-240
CURITIBA - PR
Hotline: (41) 342 4111
24 Hour service: check-mark.gif

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

thanks giuys, i heard ad withdrawal can cause bipolar, i actually heard it on thi ssite is this true?

went up to 300mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

A diagnosis cannot be made whilst someone is tapering or experiencing withdrawal symptoms because the drug/s have changed the brain.  From this post Ch4:

"Antidepressants can certainly make patients look manic or hypomanic. But the American APA DSM explicitly states that “manic like [or hypomanic –like] episodes that are clearly caused by somatic antidepressant treatment (e.g. medication) should not count toward a diagnosis of bipolar I or bipolar II disorder because these are drug induced states."

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management