Jaffa: Possibly late onset withdrawal

Jaffa

Also I’ve been using 2mg of melatonin regularly now It’s prolonged release so I can’t cut it. It recommends only using it for 3 weeks. I’m a bit nervous about that . What are your thoughts about continuous use? 

2003 Paxil - I can't remember the dose but I think it was 10mg  experienced  horrendous akathisia when starting for 3 weeks then okay 

2004.  slow reduction to 0 , withdrawal symptoms, so reinstated to 10mg - again horrendous Akathisia which lasted 5 weeks.
2005 - attempted to slowly taper off and again  Terrible withdrawal so reinstated and endured akathisia until it settled. Psychiatrist changed me over to

Zoloft so that I could have another baby. No adverse reaction with the switch except terrible diorreah

2006   tried once more to come off Zoloft carefully with terrible results. reinstated Zoloft and used 2.5 mg of zyprexa to help Akathisia- horrid episode                             lasted 3 months with some akathisia and severe depression which I’d never had before. Withdrawal from zyprexa ( depression) 

2008  50 mg of Zoloft then after 6 months I tapered to 25 mg and decided to stay there . 

2012 stress event and peri menopause acute anxiety which led to, updosing to 125 mg, tortuous symptoms(akathisia) then stabilized,  back to 50 mg-

2014 - same again  down to 25 with Akathisia on updosing and a hospital visit. 

2019 - 2023 Zoloft tapering by 2 mg linear taper every 3 months started at 50 mg, got to 25 mg around January 2023.  June 2023- health anxiety and what feels like withdrawal again.  Insomnia, anxiety, blunted good feelings.

2023 June- Zyprexa taken twice, ativan 1 mg taken once, temazepan infrequent but 15- 18th of June used for 4 nights

2023 August - introduced 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for 12 days then 15mg of mirtazapine. Sleep now ok but daily life depression, anhedonia, agitation and a weird feeling of being sedate and anxious at the same time. Currently holding.

My introduction thread: Jaffa: Possibly late onset withdrawal

I’m sorry alto strata

ok 

8:30 25 mg of Zoloft 

10 am estrogel  0.75 mg  - 

this is the same every day. The dose has never changed apart from the other day when I used a half pump of estrogel because I was scared it may be causing problems but then I did some research and it would seem that the opposite applies. Low estrogen can cause anxiety. I’ll change my signature. I have only added ovestin cream since bladder irritation and it was every night for two weeks and since the beginning of June just two nights a week for maintenance. 

2003 Paxil - I can't remember the dose but I think it was 10mg  experienced  horrendous akathisia when starting for 3 weeks then okay 

2004.  slow reduction to 0 , withdrawal symptoms, so reinstated to 10mg - again horrendous Akathisia which lasted 5 weeks.
2005 - attempted to slowly taper off and again  Terrible withdrawal so reinstated and endured akathisia until it settled. Psychiatrist changed me over to

Zoloft so that I could have another baby. No adverse reaction with the switch except terrible diorreah

2006   tried once more to come off Zoloft carefully with terrible results. reinstated Zoloft and used 2.5 mg of zyprexa to help Akathisia- horrid episode                             lasted 3 months with some akathisia and severe depression which I’d never had before. Withdrawal from zyprexa ( depression) 

2008  50 mg of Zoloft then after 6 months I tapered to 25 mg and decided to stay there . 

2012 stress event and peri menopause acute anxiety which led to, updosing to 125 mg, tortuous symptoms(akathisia) then stabilized,  back to 50 mg-

2019 - 2023 Zoloft tapering by 2 mg linear taper every 3 months started at 50 mg, got to 25 mg around January 2023.  June 2023- health anxiety and what feels like withdrawal again.  Insomnia, anxiety, blunted good feelings.

2023 June- Zyprexa taken twice, ativan 1 mg taken once, temazepan infrequent but 15- 18th of June used for 4 nights

2023 August - introduced 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for 12 days then 15mg of mirtazapine. Sleep now ok but daily life depression, anhedonia, agitation and a weird feeling of being sedate and anxious at the same time. Currently holding.

• Administrator
On 7/5/2023 at 1:20 PM, Altostrata said:

When did you start the progesterone and estrogel? Please include this in your signature. Since December 2022, what have been your dosage changes in each of these steroids?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dear friends, I can’t deal with this anxiety anymore. I’m so terrified right now. I feel this is all too much. I didn’t plan this withdrawal. I thought I would be safe on 25 mg having tapered so slowly but life stress has happened and now I feel I can’t keep on going like this. I feel like I need to medicate again to survive. I can’t reinstate Zoloft because of Akathisia I get when doing so. Unless perhaps adding zyprexa short term would help ??? I don’t know. Alternatively I could try mirtrazipine . Im terrified. 

Sorry alto for not updating signature . Im overwhelmed by that. I’ve been on the estrogel and progesterone at the same dose for two years. No changes to that over that time. Only new addition was ovestin cream which was recent but anxiety started before that. Using that 2 x week. 

Im so sorry. Im just not strong enough to keep living with this. My life is terrible right now and this is just so traumatic. 

Also just to be clear- Akathisia nearly killed me. The terror was non stop

• Moderator Emeritus

@Jaffa Please work closely with your doctor to get stable as you go through this crisis period. We aren't able to help anyone taper through a crisis and we aren't able to help with what is called "medication management." That has to be done through your doctor.

When you feel stable and have been on the same drug(s) for a number of months, then come back to the forum and we can help you with your taper. 

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Jaffa said:

I can’t reinstate Zoloft because of Akathisia I get when doing so.

Why do you think this?

After you got to 25mg in January, how did you feel in February-May?

Have you ever skipped doses, forgotten a dose, or taken a dose off-schedule January-June?

On 6/27/2023 at 12:20 AM, Jaffa said:

Ok the reason I’m not posting my day is because it’s the same pretty much. I take 25 mg of Zoloft every morning at 7:30- 8:30 . 
my mornings are the worst with agitation, anxiety and overwhelm. 

There is no variation with this day other than to say that some days the symptoms are worse than others. 
🙏🏻

Does the "agitation, anxiety and overwhelm" occur before or after you take Zoloft?

Gee, sure would have been helpful if you posted those daily notes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

So I got to 25 mg in late September last year. I didn’t notice any withdrawal to speak of in the 9 months at 25 until this recent life stress episode. I believe that despite an extremely careful slow taper from 50 to 25 by holding each 2 mg drop for 3 months, the stress event is when the full effect of the 25 mg drop was felt. In other words, despite removing the drug the brain continues the same as if the drug was not changed and then huge stress/ anxiety induces the withdrawal. The brain/ system which has been altered by medication, can’t cope. 
My Akathisia episodes have happened several times over the 18!years I’ve been on sertraline. Each time I’ve tapered to a low dose or tried to come off , withdrawal hits and I reinstate/ updose and get terrifying Akathisia where I can’t sit still, can hardly eat, can’t be alone due to severe terror and  fight suicidal ideation all day. It’s torture. I can’t go through that again. It left me so traumatised. 
This last 4 years since becoming menopausal I’ve been at my best. I’ve been working and functioning optimally. I , stupidly perhaps , thought I could reduce Zoloft really slowly to 25 and have no problems but ….. I wish I had just stayed at 50 mg despite some numbing.  Clearly withdrawal for me is unavoidable. 
I don’t want to introduce mirtrazipine. I’m terrified to try it but I feel like I can’t keep feeling this bad with no idea of how long it will take for me to recover and then the trauma of it all. I’m so scared that the mirtrazipine will cause Akathisia to my very sensitive system. Another psychiatrist has recommended zyprexa 2.5 but that a terrifying long term drug. I’m so scared Alto. This is a nightmare and one I never thought I would go through again. I have 2 teenage children with ASD and a mother approaching end of life and I’m in this ****. It’s truly terrible.  

I did find out from gp yesterday that I’ve been on hrt since January ( same dose daily . 75 estrogel and 100 mg progesterone) . I really don’t think hrt is the problem though. Menopause could be a factor but having been through episodes like this in the past, it just feels like withdrawal/ iatrogenesis and s good dose of my own anxiety issues and trauma ptsd on top. 
Thanks for your support 🙏🏻

Do you have any thoughts about mirtrazipine? 

Still haven’t started mirtrazipine, I’m so scared of feeling worse than I currently do. 
Alto - each and every time I have updosed my Zoloft I get terrible life threatening Akathisia. It’s not possible for me to do that again for the 6 th time in 18 years . I did once take zyprexa while reinstating Zoloft but I had an awful time getting off zyprexa and the episode was long - I think 4-6 months 

@Jaffa

I believe alto wants some more daily notes in order to advise you. I think the only way she will know best course of action is if she can see a pattern.  She will be looking to see whether you are having an adverse reaction something but she won't know unless you supply her with the info. 

I understand you are terrified, its absolutely awful, something no one should have to go through but sadly there is no quick fix. You can get through this, I believe in you. 

No one is asking you to update sertraline and I don't think anyone here is going to advise you to take more tablets. They want to get you off the meds in the safest way possible. Not add more problems to the mix. 

Try and give some notes they don't have to be perfect. 

Reach out anytime fir support OK? 

You ARE going to be OK. 

Sending hugs 

2015- Jan 2021 20mg Citalapram

Jan 2021- April 2021 Sertraline (CT)

June 2021 - Fluoxetine & Trazadone

Oct 2021- Trazadone to Quitiapin 

Oct 2021 to June 2022 switches Duloxetine then paroxatine then Venlafaxine.

June 2022- venlafaxine for 5 or 6 weeks at 37.5 twice daily. Upped for one week to 75mg twice daily but caused panic attacks. Dropped back down to 37.5 twice daily. Panic attacks stopped. 

1 week- 62.5mg 1 week- 50mg 1 week- 37.5mg 1 week - 25mg 

ANTIDEPRESSANT FREE SINCE JULY 22ND 2022!! 

18/05/23 - 01-06/23 doxycycline for a rat bite 

Taken propranalol since 2015. 80mg.

21/11/22 76mg. 28/11/22 72mg. 05/12/22 68mg. 19/12/22 64mg. 27/12/22 60mg. 02/01/23 56mg. 09/01/23 50mg. 16/01/23 47mg. 23/01/23 44mg. 29/01/23 40mg. 05/02/23 38mg. 12/02/23 35mg. 19/02/23 32mg. 25/02/23 27mg. 04/03/23 25mg. 11/03/23 22mg. 17/03/23 19mg. 24/03/23 20mg. 05/04/23 18mg. 11/04/23 16mg. 17/04/23 14mg. 27/04/23 20mg. 19/06/23 19mg. 25/06/23 20mg. 04/08/23 18mg. 11/08/23 17mg. 16/08/23 16mg. 25/08/23 15mg. 01/09/23 14mg. 08/09/23 13mg. 15/08/23 12mg. 22/09/23 11mg. 29/09/23 10mg. 19/11/23 9mg. 26/11/23 8mg. 03/12/23 7mg. 10/12/23 6mg. 17/12/23 5mg. 24/12/23 4mg. 31/01/23 3mg. 07/01/24 2mg. 13/01/24 1mg. 19/01/24 0mg. DONE! 

How do I reach out for support Doctorscrap? Do I just post here? I need support . I wish I had a person beside me physically who would help me through this. I can’t bare the loneliness. 

@Jaffa

Yes here is the place to get support. 

Do you have anybody at home with you who are supporting you? 

Are you going to keep some daily notes? 

June 2022- venlafaxine for 5 or 6 weeks at 37.5 twice daily. Upped for one week to 75mg twice daily but caused panic attacks. Dropped back down to 37.5 twice daily. Panic attacks stopped. 

21/11/22 76mg. 28/11/22 72mg. 05/12/22 68mg. 19/12/22 64mg. 27/12/22 60mg. 02/01/23 56mg. 09/01/23 50mg. 16/01/23 47mg. 23/01/23 44mg. 29/01/23 40mg. 05/02/23 38mg. 12/02/23 35mg. 19/02/23 32mg. 25/02/23 27mg. 04/03/23 25mg. 11/03/23 22mg. 17/03/23 19mg. 24/03/23 20mg. 05/04/23 18mg. 11/04/23 16mg. 17/04/23 14mg. 27/04/23 20mg. 19/06/23 19mg. 25/06/23 20mg. 04/08/23 18mg. 11/08/23 17mg. 16/08/23 16mg. 25/08/23 15mg. 01/09/23 14mg. 08/09/23 13mg. 15/08/23 12mg. 22/09/23 11mg. 29/09/23 10mg. 19/11/23 9mg. 26/11/23 8mg. 03/12/23 7mg. 10/12/23 6mg. 17/12/23 5mg. 24/12/23 4mg. 31/01/23 3mg. 07/01/24 2mg. 13/01/24 1mg. 19/01/24 0mg. DONE! 

I have been looking at the info and comments on “ waves and windows “ . It sounds dreadful. That you can get another wave with a stressful event completely terrified me. That this would go on for several years … I’d rather die I think. I can’t imagine how you live through that. Please tell me how you live through that

@Jaffa

You are scaring yoursely. Over time the waves and windows should become easier and then imagine the wonderful life you will have after all this. You can get through it. 

Reach out for help on ground if you have to. Get support. I hope you have people around you to support you. 

In order for a mod to help you need to give them the info they need. 

• Administrator
On 7/11/2023 at 12:05 AM, Jaffa said:

Each time I’ve tapered to a low dose or tried to come off , withdrawal hits and I reinstate/ updose and get terrifying Akathisia where I can’t sit still, can hardly eat, can’t be alone due to severe terror and  fight suicidal ideation all day. It’s torture. I can’t go through that again. It left me so traumatised. 

This sounds like you get this symptom from withdrawal, it's not an adverse effect of Zoloft.

I need to see those daily notes before further discussion.

No alto,

The very first time I went on Zoloft it was for horrid anxiety. The Akathisia started a day after the first dose and increased as I increased the dose. I kept reminding myself that it gets worse when you start drug and then it gets better and that kept me going.

Every attempt at reinstating higher dose after attempting to taper has seen my withdrawal symptoms turn to Akathisia as I’m thrown into what feels like a chemical cyclone. 
Right now I’m in withdrawal. It’s been 7 weeks of withdrawal hell BUT I don’t have Akathisia . I’m restless and agitated. I have burning or tingling skin in upper back and arms . My stomach is upset. I’m hyper alert and going all day. I have no appetite but feed myself good food. There are other sensations and experiences that are hard to describe because they feel outside the range of normal human experience. It’s dreadfully unpleasant . I’ve got a script for mirtrazipine but I’m holding on. I’m trying so hard but I just don’t think I can keep going like this. Terrified about the new drug though. Hate this 🙏🏻

Daily notes 13/07/23

2 mg melatonin , 100mg progesterone terrible night sleep lots of wakeful periods with quiet moans and fidgeting limbs due to emotional pain that feels physical in solar plexus and chest and upper back. 

anxiety on waking early and continues till 1 pm 

8:30 am 25 mg Zoloft 

10 am 0.75 mg of estrogel

breakfast

symptoms are burning and tingling discomfort in chest , stomach and throat. Tight upper back. Hyper alert and needing to stay busy. These arrived on waking and continue until 1 pm at 7-8/10

lots of worrying also about potentially starting a new antidepressant if I can’t cope anymore 

1:30 pm lunch

afternoon grocery shopping feeling a bit better relatively

kept busy as usual all afternoon. When I move my limbs and body the burning and tingling doesn’t feel so intense

bed making, dishes, 

3 pm a friend comes for tea and a cry

im clear headed, tired but very awake

4 pm—6 pm a body scan meditation , I’m able to let go and feel more relaxed 

5/10 symptoms- still aware of tender vulnerability in my solar plexus region . 
Feel sad and mentally scared but less anxiety. Still the tingles arrive with a single anxious thought or worry. 

6:30 dinner evening is 5 -6/ 10 as bed time approaches. 

Overall feeling overwhelmed and a weird lot of strange feelings sensations that are hard to describe 

10 pm progesterone 100 mg and 10:15 pm 2 mg melatonin. If I wake at 1 or can’t sleep I may take a temazepam 10 mg for some relief . I’ll let you know in the morning if I did. Perhaps taking temaz 2x week for now to get some sleep is better than starting mirtrazipine. 

sorry I don’t do notes so often. It’s hard . I find it a bit triggering. I’m trying not to focus to much on how bad it all feels. I do understand your need for them. Thankyou 🙏🏻

• Administrator

Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. We need to know how you feel before and after each dose.

Fri 14/07

the night before

10 pm 100 mg progesterone 

10:15 pm 2 mg of melatonin 

slept well after 3 nights of minimal sleep 

7 am woke with anxiety 6/10 - symptoms tight uncomfortable even painful sensation in chest under ribs and upper back tingles. Arms and stomach butterfly sensations

8 am 25 mg of Zoloft 

9:30 breakfast, vit d, probiotic, introduced a b complex vitamin 

10:15 estrogel .75 mg

11 am swimming pool, sauna, spa, first time weights ( wondering if this will help)

feeling lonely, cut off , mentally alert, less anxiety because I’m moving

2 pm lunch with a friend who doesn’t get it but that’s ok - it’s company and variation 

3 pm less anxious but anhedonia and some agitation. 
4 pm housework , shopping, parenting 

5 pm epsom salt bath and body scan meditation 

very flat but a little better relatively 

7 pm dinner with family

8-10 pm symptoms are ok ish but very quickly upped by fearful thoughts about ever being ok, my husband going away on conference and he and kids going to Japan in September and me being alone. Normally I’d relish that but not now. Terrifying

Hi all, please let me know if I’m in the right space to reach out for support. Is this where we write updates and get responses from others who are struggling with withdrawal. I’m so messed up I’m finding it hard to navigate the site. Apologies if I’ve got it wrong 🙏🏻

• Administrator
On 7/15/2023 at 6:10 AM, Jaffa said:

7 am woke with anxiety 6/10 - symptoms tight uncomfortable even painful sensation in chest under ribs and upper back tingles. Arms and stomach butterfly sensations

This is when you feel worst? How long do these sensations last?

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Hi all, please let me know if I’m in the right space to reach out for support. Is this where we write updates and get responses from others who are struggling with withdrawal. I’m so messed up I’m finding it hard to navigate the site. Apologies if I’ve got it wrong 🙏🏻

I merged this back to your main topic.  As you started a new Introduction topic.  Just one per member.

Use your bookmark to come back here.

If, feeling up to it, members will often visit other members topics to encourage and support and then that often will bring other members to your Introduction too to offer support and encouragement.  Many are struggling with WD, just like you.

Also:  Once signed in, you could go to:  Relationships and social life It's another forum, on site, just for members, with various topics that you could then reply or respond to.

Don't miss the post above this, Alto's got a ? for you.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Mentor
On 7/12/2023 at 4:57 AM, Jaffa said:

That this would go on for several years … I’d rather die I think. I can’t imagine how you live through that. Please tell me how you live through that

you do it just one day at a time, hon, or literally one minute at a time

you are thinking too much into the future, PLEASE try VERY hard to focus ONLY on the present

that is all you need to do

find ways to get thru the next few minutes or hours

stop worrying about the what ifs.

I haven't read your entire thread but my instinct is to suggest that you don't change anything as far as drugs and medications and the like go

ALL of us who have gone thru this, and there are many hundreds of us who have done it and have felt as bad or possibly worse than you do now, we have gotten thru it by learning non drug coping skills

things like acceptance, and floating along with the feelings, not letting them dictate what you think

if you have PTSD this can be hard but you have to keep telling yourself that these are just feelings, by themselves they can not hurt you.

are you having akithisia right now? 

if not, don't worry about it.

you can get thru this. You need to know that. You can. it's not easy but you can do it

and you will be ok.

it's all going to be ok.

try to slow your thinking and concentrate on just the present moment

write down your notes for Alto, she can help you sort things out

try to think calming thoughts, it will help your nervous system relax. No more, I can't get thru this, it's going to get worse, I just know it, 

please hon, don't do that to yourself, it's not helping. it just hypes things up more. yes it feels awful but it will change, things always change and you are going to feel BETTER. 

now is the time to think soothing thoughts

think about how strong you are and have been

you have apparently two challenged children and I'm sure that's not been easy but you've done it, I'll bet there are so many things that were tough that you've lived thru and done just great

this is just one bump in the road, a difficult one for sure but you have the strength to get thru it

you really do 😊

we can help you thru it

what symptom is the most troublesome right now?
I will see what I can find on non drug self help tips for you ok?

hang in there, it's all going to be ok

what have you tried so for to soothe yourself?

warm epsom salts bath? cup of herbal tea? some soft music? relaxation tapes?

gentle exercise like walking? hanging out in a wooded area or other naturally calming environment?

Edited by Happy2Heal

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Mentor

hi again

I should have read your most recent post, my apologies

I see you are trying non drug coping skills, that's great!! 

they will help. sometimes you have to try different things at different times

if being alone feels hard right now, maybe try to hook up with a place where you'll be with people or try to arrange visits or calls with friends, whatever you find soothing and helpful

you are doing fantastic!

keep up the good work

try not to think too far ahead, that's one thing I am prone to doing myself and it's just not very helpful

you got this!!!

💗

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

Hi, Just chipping in here. WD is exausting, but it changes all the time. One day when I thought I couldnt do it any more i just read one line of a book at a time, thats all I did all day!!! One line after the next after the next. Your doing loads and you are doing it. Camille tea works brilliantly for me, and I have seen huge improvements with fish oil of late but as Happy to heal has said try to stop the spiral of panic it makes you worce. The best for me is being outside. Currently I am outside all day, as soon as I come in I feel hemmed and have to go out again!!! Good ambient music, reading, epsom salts are also very effective. I keep a radio on all night, different stations depending how my mind is. Its very reassuring and helps me start the day with someone else as I live on my own, skint!!!!! I have been going threw the menapause for 10 years, the dr gave me antidepressants to help!!!! Its great that you got proper treatment for it. I sometimes take half a 5mg of diazepam, and its easily strong enough to help but if your really depressed it will make you feel worce which is why I haven't taken any recently as I have been struggling BUT I have improved a lot recently and have just eaten a meat shop bought lasagne and I am a vegy!!!!!!! It was lush. Get outside if you can and read in the night, any old rubbish will do, it makes you feel more productive and look up at the stars. I also use lots and lots and lots of candles and incense, it does really help. Reach out if you want a chat, anytime. Take care and just on one step at a time, OK?

Redkite

Anti-depressant roundabout-2013-2019 ( 5 different ones all effectively CT)

Paroxetine-2019-2022- Various from 10 to 30. Reduced from 30mg to twenty over summer, winter 21. Stablized. reduced from 20ml to 12.5 jan-july22. Some holds some reinstate of tiny tiny bit and then hold around 15mg. Last drop from 13.5 to 12.5 18th july . Had to add a tiny bit/ Held on drop day due to stress of invironment, dropped to 12.  7th september 

Droped to 11.25 gradually  threw   september picking smaller bits from the left over pot!!! Will stay at 11.25 for a couple of weeks. Shaky and tired.

10.65 28th October.

Terrible november and december so uped to 11. slightly better will stick at 11 till spring at the earliest.

May 10mg... finally, but what a drama. Totally exhausted!!!

Back up to 10. and a bit !! Cant believe how sick I get. 10 mg some time in june?

middle of  August back up to 10mg and  30th. ( 10.33?)

Hi Alto,

yes this is when I feel worst. The symptoms last up until lunch time . I find movement helps a lot so I go go go. I walk or do the housework. They are quite distressing symptoms and lead me into fearful and dark thoughts and wondering is I can continue like this. I’ve started some diaphragmatic breathing exercises because I feel like the tension in my torso causes heartburn or indigestion. Apparently that’s a symptom of menopause as well but it’s far far worse since this episode started. 
I looked up “ solar plexus “ last night and it’s a large connection of nerves so no wonder it’s pained. 
This symptom does die down a bit in the afternoon but if I’m having a real wave of a day with 7-8/ 10 anxiety then it can be there non stop or it may stop for a couple of hours and come back late afternoon until about 9:30. 

more notes coming 🙏🏻

Thankyou friends for the above messages of support. I’m so grateful. 
Your signature stories are amazing and living alone and feeling like this I honestly can’t imagine how. 
I do try not to catastrophise but when the symptoms feel unbearable I do feel like I can’t keep going like this. This wasn’t a pre planned considered taper. It came as a late onset shock withdrawal. My whole life has been turned upside down. My children and husband are going to Japan for a long awaited holiday and I was going with them but not now. I’m so scared about them leaving and being totally alone feeling like this.  I don’t feel I can go and stay with family because they don’t get it and will be annoyed at me for tapering my medication from 50 to 25. They have witnessed the Akathisia when I’ve updosed in crisis. 

Anyway , staying the course this week. 
What a nightmare this is 

• Mentor
22 minutes ago, Jaffa said:

Anyway , staying the course this week. 
What a nightmare this is 

yes it is, it is! it sucks that so many of us have had to go thru this.

I am very sorry you are going thru it and will have to miss a vacation to Japan. Are you sure you should stay home with the dark thoughts and all? you might be ok to travel, I can't say but I know that  I did some things during acute WD that I wasn't sure I could manage and I did ok. My symptoms didn't ramp up at all and although I didn't feel wonderful, I was distracted a lot by the going's on around me.

No one but those of us who have gone thru this truly understand how hard  it is. I wouldn't worry about others think.  Don't tell them about the medication, it's none of their business.  Tell them you are sick and if they can't be kind to just leave you alone. No one plans to be sick. 
They will likely not understand about withdrawal so it's useless to even try to explain.  

Just an idea. I think one of the hardest parts of WD recovery is that others have no clue and no empathy because it's beyond what they can comprehend. It makes it so hard to get the support we need and deserve.

You do what you feel is best of course but maybe the trip would go ok for you.  If you decide to stay home is there anyone you can call on to keep your company so you don't feel so alone?

I was almost a total recluse before I went thru Withdrawal I made many dosing mistakes along the way and got pretty messed up

I Found it extremely difficult to be alone, I needed people around because my thinking went to very dark places, So I fought my social anxiety and joined the Sr Center and made friends and now I have a wonderful  social life,

I knew that I was closer and closer to being totally healed when I was ok being alone for long periods and now I am back to being the introvert that I've always been, and prefer to have some longer stretches alone

But love having the benefits of having friends and a social life and fun things to do when I don't want to be alone.

I hope you find what works for you. If you do stay home reach out here and we will try to keep you company as best we can. But it would really be best to have someone nearby to you whom you can call on. Esp to have someone to do things with, I did a LOT of walking,I couldn't stay still and I was able to find others who liked to walk too, Maybe there is a walking group nearby or something like that...

Thankyou Happy2 Heal, 

I thought about going to Japan but I’d have no control over my environment. At least at home I can act on the symptoms- wild fast housework when highly activated, walks, plans of sorts, people to call. I’m so scared the unknown surroundings of Japan would freak me out and I don’t want to spoil this trip for my children and husband. I suffer a lot with anticipatory anxiety and I feel like at the moment I can’t commit to anything. It’s a kind is see how I’m feeling in the moment situation. I had to quit my job doing massage and spa treatments, facials etc which I loved. I’m a people person and I love meeting people. Like you I normally live alone time but feeling so awful  and odd makes it terrifying and I need to get away from those dark worrying thoughts. 
Im grateful that I did a heap of wonderful travel in my 20’s and 30’s before I touched these meds. Japan would be great if I was well enough. But the strain might put me back. 

I just went to the gym to try my first aerobics class in 20 years. I wondered if the work out , environment and music might help stimulate endorphins. It was ok ish but I left a little early because it was too much. It got my heart going but I worried it was making me a bit anxious towards the end. 😮‍💨

Ive lost so much weight with this adrenaline coursing through my veins. Shops now , At least there is sunshine toDay in Melbourne. 
Im amazed by your healing story. 🙏🏻

Daily notes Sat 15 th/ 07

10 pm previous night 100 mg progesterone 10:15pm 2 mg melatonin prolonged release 

slept from 11:30 - 4:00

4:00am woke with anxiety and emotional pain felt in solar plexus, throat , tummy a bit, toilet and diorreah. 
4:30 am 10 mg of temazepam for some relief ( first time in at least a week) . slept till 7

7 am wake up low and tired and mentally sad 

7:30 tea and hot water bottle. 
8 am onwards symptoms are better because of temaz. It must relax those tight muscles . 
8:30 25 mg Zoloft 

9:30 vitamin d, vit b complex,  breakfast, magnesium drink 200 mg

10:15 estrogel 0.75 mg

To gym with husband and feeling relatively ok

1 pm lunch

2  pm gardening and cooking. Made a low sugar gluten free chocolate cake. 
5 pm radio and feeling anxious and worried but relatively better than most days. 
6:30 dinner

7 :30 tv with son 

I noticed a new calm feeling that was nice. I went to bed and chatted on phone with friend till 11 pm . I was able to talk about other stuff as my anxiety was low

10 pm 100 mg progesterone 

11 pm slept till 6:30 . Nice 

Daily notes

Tuesday 18 th/07

abetter nights sleep for last 2 nights with just 100 mg of progesterone . Yesterday was a relatively better day. Not so good today

6:30 wake up

Anxiety and emotional type ache in the solar plexus, tummy, chest, throat

7:30 up and son to school

8:30 25 mg Zoloft 

9:30 breakfast

10 am 0.75 mg progesterone 

10:15 yoga class - awful feelings of low mood lonliness and cut off

11:15 same feelings continue with less anxiety, more low mood

11:15 vit d , vit b complex, introduced vit C 1000 - 

12 shops - anhedonia becoming anxiety and fearful dark thoughts 

1:30 lunch and feelings continue, probiotic

2 pm friend for tea and walk and a cry

4 pm aching and sadness and anxiety/ depression mixed in - felt in chest mainly and stomach. 
6 pm prepared dinner

7:30 feel relatively better , calmer, less pain and sensations

8:30 epsom salt bath

10 100 mg progesterone 

10:30 bed 
Reflection - vit c added first time today. I think I’ll stop it. Maybe too much.  Today was an awful day compared to last two days where I felt like symptoms were less severe. I do need to update my signature and give some more details of my journey. 
Thankyou

I need to know if anyone here has experienced healing after a late onset withdrawal. I’m experiencing horrid symptoms varying in intensity but debilitating. It sounds crazy but this happened despite being on 25 mg of Zoloft for 9 months after slowing tapering by 2 mg every 3 months. That means I tapered over 4 years to get down from 50 to 25mg. I’ve been on Zoloft for 18 years and in that time I’ve unsuccessfully tried to come off on about 6 occasions. Once withdrawal hit I’d reinstate/ updose but each time I went through horrific Akathisia- torture, until I stabilised. The last time I did this the aka lasted 3 months and it took me 6 months to stabilise. 
Im worried I’ve damaged my brain. I’m really anxious, or I have anhedonia and tingles and burning. I’ve lost a lot of weight. I’m throwing everything at this. I can’t updose Zoloft- too dangerous. 
Has anyone here had a late onset withdrawal that was awful and did you heal? 

Reinstatement of a drug

It says in Alto’s article on reinstatement that I should post here to have my question answered about MY possible reinstatement. I hope I’ve got this right and please forgive me if I’m mistaken. 
Alto I’m on 25 mg of Zoloft and suffering acute nervous system sensitivity. I’m agitated, hyper alert and today very depressed along with anxiety and racing thoughts. It’s a late onset withdrawal I’m sure. I updated my signature today to show clearly my numerous Akathisia episodes with updosing Zoloft after symptomatic withdrawal. 
My question:- can I take mirtrazipine 15 mg . I’ve never tried it before. It has a different mechanism of action. Have you seen this done before? My only other alternative for relief is zyprexa 2.5 mg which I’ve taken twice only but with no adverse reaction. 
I know you don’t know for sure but based on your experience what do you think about this reinstatement plan 

Thankyou

Edited by manymoretodays
merged 2 new Introduction posts to main topic, title added

Updosing Zoloft was done in 12.5 mg increments and still induced Akathisia. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaffa,

I again, merged up a couple more posts right back here.  This is your Introduction and where you should be posting now.  I also did see a PM you sent.  Please put all relevant information, concerns right here in your topic.  I'd rather not do PM counseling AND it keeps all your information in one place, right here, so anyone can respond.

I think we've gone over your mirtazapine question before Jaffa.

On 7/10/2023 at 4:48 AM, Shep said:

@Jaffa Please work closely with your doctor to get stable as you go through this crisis period. We aren't able to help anyone taper through a crisis and we aren't able to help with what is called "medication management." That has to be done through your doctor.

When you feel stable and have been on the same drug(s) for a number of months, then come back to the forum and we can help you with your taper. 

Are you feeling any better now, since your last posts and the PM you sent?  Many can attest to sometimes having to "ride the Waves" or surf sometimes.  Hang on.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, Jaffa said:

I need to know if anyone here has experienced healing after a late onset withdrawal. I’m experiencing horrid symptoms varying in intensity but debilitating. It sounds crazy but this happened despite being on 25 mg of Zoloft for 9 months after slowing tapering by 2 mg every 3 months. That means I tapered over 4 years to get down from 50 to 25mg. I’ve been on Zoloft for 18 years and in that time I’ve unsuccessfully tried to come off on about 6 occasions. Once withdrawal hit I’d reinstate/ updose but each time I went through horrific Akathisia- torture, until I stabilised. The last time I did this the aka lasted 3 months and it took me 6 months to stabilise. 
Im worried I’ve damaged my brain. I’m really anxious, or I have anhedonia and tingles and burning. I’ve lost a lot of weight. I’m throwing everything at this. I can’t updose Zoloft- too dangerous. 
Has anyone here had a late onset withdrawal that was awful and did you heal? 

Hey.  Just merged this post here too.  Have you checked out the Success Stories forum Jaffa?  And full recovery is possible.  I healed.  It's nothing like it used to be for me.  Much, much better.  I was pretty messed up.  I always kept hope alive.