Jaffa: Possibly late onset withdrawal

Jaffa

Hi everyone,

I’m really suffering with unbearable anxiety. I’ve got a long history with Zoloft and akathisia when I’ve reinstated once I found withdrawal symptoms, I’m bearable. Of course, the akathisia was worse than the withdrawal symptoms, and all I can’t do it again, even though in the end, I’d reach stability on the Zoloft. I’ve always wanted to be of these drugs, but it’s just been way too hard. I’m 54 years old. For the last four years I’ve been really well but I had some health anxiety. Some health issues come up and I’m now feeling just terrible. I’m in a state of continual movement and agitation and anxiety. It’s not full blown akathisia but it’s got some part of it. I feel so worried. I’m wondering if this is like a late onset withdrawal. I tapered from 50 mg of Zoloft down to 25 mg by reducing my dose by 2 mg every three months until using a compounding pharmacist until I was 25 and I’ve been there for nine months, but now after nine months I’m feeling like I’m in withdrawal and it’s horrific. I’m trying to avoid to marzipan, but some nights I just feel I need relief. sometimes I’m using a little bit of Carver and some herbs from the naturopath. I just want to know is this is this possible that stress could bring on a late onset of withdrawal? Has anyone had this happened to them before thank you 

2003 Paxil - I can't remember the dose but I think it was 10mg  experienced  horrendous akathisia when starting for 3 weeks then okay 

2004.  slow reduction to 0 , withdrawal symptoms, so reinstated to 10mg - again horrendous Akathisia which lasted 5 weeks.
2005 - attempted to slowly taper off and again  Terrible withdrawal so reinstated and endured akathisia until it settled. Psychiatrist changed me over to

Zoloft so that I could have another baby. No adverse reaction with the switch except terrible diorreah

2006   tried once more to come off Zoloft carefully with terrible results. reinstated Zoloft and used 2.5 mg of zyprexa to help Akathisia- horrid episode                             lasted 3 months with some akathisia and severe depression which I’d never had before. Withdrawal from zyprexa ( depression) 

2008  50 mg of Zoloft then after 6 months I tapered to 25 mg and decided to stay there . 

2012 stress event and peri menopause acute anxiety which led to, updosing to 125 mg, tortuous symptoms(akathisia) then stabilized,  back to 50 mg-

2014 - same again  down to 25 with Akathisia on updosing and a hospital visit. 

2019 - 2023 Zoloft tapering by 2 mg linear taper every 3 months started at 50 mg, got to 25 mg around January 2023.  June 2023- health anxiety and what feels like withdrawal again.  Insomnia, anxiety, blunted good feelings.

2023 June- Zyprexa taken twice, ativan 1 mg taken once, temazepan infrequent but 15- 18th of June used for 4 nights

2023 August - introduced 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for 12 days then 15mg of mirtazapine. Sleep now ok but daily life depression, anhedonia, agitation and a weird feeling of being sedate and anxious at the same time. Currently holding.

My introduction thread: Jaffa: Possibly late onset withdrawal

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome @Jaffa, I’m so sorry to hear that you’re struggling. Yes, Akathisia can certainly give us health anxiety, I’ve had it too and it’s just awful. 

When did you first go on 50mg of Zoloft, and when did you get down to 25mg? Could you please put in your drug signature, just go to the top of the Introduction and Updates page and you’ll see the thread on starting a topic for yourself. In the first paragraph there’s a link showing you how to do a drug signature. Please put the tapering schedule you did in there as well. Thank you. 

Getting withdrawals months later is quite common. 

What did you mean when you said you’re trying to avoid marzipan? Did you mean mirtazapine, and autocorrect changed it? Can you put any other medications you’re on into your signature as well. 

Please be careful with different herbs, as withdrawals can make us hypersensitive, and anything can make withdrawals worse. Also, it’s best not to drink any alcohol and cut down on caffeine. If you want to try any supplements a lot of people have found magnesium and omega 3 has helped a little. Again, though, due to hypersensitivity just start on a really low dose of one and up it slowly, then do the same with the other. If you start on a low dose you’ll know if you can tolerate it, or not. 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Carmie, Thankyou. 
I’m overwhelmed at the moment but I’ll try and do my drug signature. I’m tired. I haven’t slept. I feel like I’m dying from this. I meant mirtrazipine not marzipan. 

2003 Paxil - I can't remember the dose but I think it was 10mg  experienced  horrendous akathisia when starting for 3 weeks then okay 

2004.  slow reduction to 0 , withdrawal symptoms, so reinstated to 10mg - again horrendous Akathisia which lasted 5 weeks.
2005 - attempted to slowly taper off and again  Terrible withdrawal so reinstated and endured akathisia until it settled. Psychiatrist changed me over to

Zoloft so that I could have another baby. No adverse reaction with the switch except terrible diorreah

2006   tried once more to come off Zoloft carefully with terrible results. reinstated Zoloft and used 2.5 mg of zyprexa to help Akathisia- horrid episode                             lasted 3 months with some akathisia and severe depression which I’d never had before. Withdrawal from zyprexa ( depression) 

2008  50 mg of Zoloft then after 6 months I tapered to 25 mg and decided to stay there . 

2012 stress event and peri menopause acute anxiety which led to, updosing to 125 mg, tortuous symptoms(akathisia) then stabilized,  back to 50 mg-

2019 - 2023 Zoloft tapering by 2 mg linear taper every 3 months started at 50 mg, got to 25 mg around January 2023.  June 2023- health anxiety and what feels like withdrawal again.  Insomnia, anxiety, blunted good feelings.

2023 June- Zyprexa taken twice, ativan 1 mg taken once, temazepan infrequent but 15- 18th of June used for 4 nights

2023 August - introduced 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for 12 days then 15mg of mirtazapine. Sleep now ok but daily life depression, anhedonia, agitation and a weird feeling of being sedate and anxious at the same time. Currently holding.

• getofflex changed the title to Jaffa: Possibly late onset withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Your welcome @Jaffa, no hurry to do your signature. Just do it when your brain lets you. I have CFS, and some days I can’t think or read to save my life either. 

I hope you find a little bit of joy in something today, I love looking at things in nature💛

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Jaffa still in terrible state

Has anyone read my last post? I’ve only had a response from Carmie 🙏🏻

Im really not doing well and I’m considering starting on either zyprexa or mirtrazipine. I’m on 25 mg of Zoloft and experiencing a late onset withdrawal which seems to be getting worse. It’s been a month. I’ve had to quit my job. I’m 54 with 2 children who need me. I’m using serotonin for sleep but only 3 hours then dread. I’m occasionally using temazepam to help get more sleep. Kava in daytime helps with anxiety a bit. Feeling like I can’t go on like this. No drug signature yet. I’m too overwhelmed. Zoloft 18 years

Edited by manymoretodays
merged to member's topic, title added

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Jaffa, I see you’ve started a new thread. We only each get one thread here in the Introductions section.  I’m so extremely sorry that you’re suffering so much and had to quit your job. It must be so hard taking care of your kids. These medications certainly cause a lot of problems. 

We can’t help you on here as regards starting other medication, you will have to see your doctor about that. We are a volunteer peer support group that helps people taper slowly. We aren’t doctors. We’ve found on this site though, that a lot of people who have chopped and changed meds have gotten worse. No one knows what will happen when you add in more meds. 

How often are you using temazepam? 

What did you mean that you’re using serotonin for sleep? What are you taking in the evening that produces serotonin? 

As I mentioned too, please be careful with the herbs as well, as some herbs can make withdrawals worse. 

You tapered to 25mg of Zoloft 9 months ago. Sometimes a small updose helps, but it works better the closer to the last drop you did. I’ll  leave a note with the others and ask if they think maybe a small updose might help. There are no guarantees. 

Feel free to write and ask questions on this thread. When you write on here it will end up going back to the top of the page. 

Sending hugs🤗

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there Jaffa and welcome,

Yes, just one Introduction per member is our rule.  Please post in this topic.

Here are the instructions, so you can do your signature:

That will really help us to help you.

I'll add in a few more links to topics here now too, that may help with your coping with symptoms that have recently developed.  It sure does sound like WD(withdrawal), and it may help to know you are not alone in what you are going through:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Akathisia vs. restlessness, anxiety, and agitation

Health anxiety, hypochondria and obsession with symptoms

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Please HOLD with your Zoloft dose now until we can get a better idea of how to help, after your signature is done, and you've provided more information.  Consider this our getting to know you time.  Try not to add new drugs, or supplements right now.

Some of the basics around tapering and your drug, and a little about WD

*Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

*Tips for tapering Zoloft(sertraline)

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Delayed onset of withdrawal

I'm not trying to overwhelm, these links will be here now, for when you feel able to read more and empower yourself.

Hoping you are feeling some, even if slight improvement very soon Jaffa.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Welcome, @Jaffa

On 6/16/2023 at 5:55 AM, Jaffa said:

I tapered from 50 mg of Zoloft down to 25 mg by reducing my dose by 2 mg every three months until using a compounding pharmacist until I was 25 and I’ve been there for nine months, but now after nine months I’m feeling like I’m in withdrawal and it’s horrific.

As you tapered, how did your symptom pattern change? Are your symptoms worse at any particular times of day?

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Morning dread and burning skin

A little better as I move around so I move around all day. 
Afternoon about 2 pm seems to settle a bit but not always just the last two days and then there are no feelings- just flat . 
Evenings I improve slightly and can engage a bit with my children 

Scared at bedtime- how will I go tonight 

• Administrator

Please supply those daily notes. We need to know how you feel before and after each dose. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs. Your recent drug history in your signature would be helpful, too.

Since you reduced to 25mg 9 months ago, have you drunk alcohol, taken antibiotics or other drugs, or had covid?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

None of the above 

• Mentor

Hi @Jaffa,  I must chime in and agree that all the additional herbs and supplements you're taking could be making you worse.  Keeping things slow, simple, and stable is key.  

I'm sure that if you heed the wonderful advice here from our experienced moderators, you can improve.  They have lived through most of the things that we are dealing with.

Sending healing strength to you...

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

I have stopped sleeping. I’ve been using 2 mg of melatonin for 20 nights. Now does nothing. My nervous system is shot. I’m thinking of starting mirtrazipine 5 mg. Thoughts on safety given my history ? Am I doing this update properly. I’m so sleep deprived. Can you see my history 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaffa,

So....I just got your most recent post merged here to your Introduction topic.

Yes, good job.  I can now see your signature below your post.  You did it!!!! 

When you next reply, just use the reply box that you will see below my post.  When you have asked a question around your case, or replied to a request in a post to you above......then you just click on the submit reply button at the bottom of that box and it will be in this string, which YOUR Introduction.

I'm seeing a request for you to respond to above and I'll quote it here so for your ease of viewing:

On 6/17/2023 at 11:23 AM, Altostrata said:

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

Here is a sample note, that shows, what we would like you to try to do, but with your information:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Put the date at the top, and then plug in your drugs, by name and dose, to the right of the times of day and night.  Get any drugs or supplements listed to the right of the time, that you take.  Don't worry if it is just the Zoloft......we want to see how your symptoms relate to your drug(s).  Also on the right note how your symptoms are, what they are and how intense.  Describe, and some will rate symptoms on a scale of 1-!0, after describing.   That makes it easier to make any suggestions.

Put your notes, when you have 24 hours done, in a reply into this topic, which is your topic now.

11 hours ago, Jaffa said:

I have stopped sleeping. I’ve been using 2 mg of melatonin for 20 nights. Now does nothing. My nervous system is shot. I’m thinking of starting mirtrazipine 5 mg. Thoughts on safety given my history ? Am I doing this update properly. I’m so sleep deprived. Can you see my history 

Jaffa, one thing you should know is that we are not going to ever make any new medication addition suggestions.  That's not what we do.  We are more geared with helping you taper once stable enough to do so.  If you do opt for adding any new medications, please do that with your prescribing doctor.

Your CNS right now is in a state of disruption and dys-regulation.  It can be best to avoid new drugs and additions that might disrupt even more.  It needs a chance to settle from some of the recent things you have tried.  Less can often be more, when it comes to stabilizing.

You can check medications singularly and also for interactions(with each other, if on more than one) right here:  Drugs.com- interaction checker

I'm sorry you are still so sleep deprived.  Did you get a chance to look at any of the tips to help sleep in the topic I linked you to in my first post?  If not, scroll up, and then look at that topic.  I hope you find something that helps that does not involve another drug.  Insomnia is very common with drug withdrawal and also adverse reactions.  So know you are not alone.  2 mg is a lot of melatonin to be using, we often suggest starting lower.  Try some basic non-drug coping.......stay offline, darker your bedroom so the early morning light is not a problem, listen to calming soothing sounds......maybe even take a bath in Epsom salt prior to trying to sleep.  You'll see more ideas in the topic in my first post to you.

Did anything happen a month ago?  Any unexpected stressors or anything prior to you getting WD symptoms again?

You are doing fine, learning to navigate the site now.  Awesome on getting the signature all finished!!!  Next up, try to do some notes as described and then post after 24 hours in a reply right here.

Cheering for you Jaffa, we all are.......that you see some improvement and sleep soon.....

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Last night after a full day of hyper alertness and managing to do all my chores feeling nothing but fear and the need to keep active , I did manage to get some sleep. I didn’t use temaz or melatonin. I did try some kava 47.1 mg. I had as usual an Epsom salt bath before bed. I’d only slept 3 hours the previous night and 5 before that. The morning dread and rocking in bed started at 4 am but miraculously I did go back to sleep for an hour . Woke to horrid anxiety and palpitations. Another day . 

I take 25 mg of Zoloft every morning at 7:30. 
I know you don’t recommend reinstating but I’m considering trying mirtrazipine for the first time. 

This episode I’m going through was not planned. I was not psychologically prepared. I have two teenage children who are autistic and my mum is 89 and not long for her. I’m so overwhelmed. 

This started from a lot of health stuff- overactive bladder now treated, thyroid nodule biopsy not cancer, ibs now under control with strict diet , told I have partial prolapse. Before this I was 4 years well and working and coping and then bang. I never thought this would ever happen to me again. I think it’s brought on late onset withdrawal or just withdrawal while on 25 mg. The reason I stayed on 25 mg was to avoid withdrawal. 

please someone- how is this likely to play out. It’s been a month of pain now. I’m doing walks in nature, eating super clean, occasional meditation with Tara Brach some diaphragmatic breathing exercises. Epsom salt baths. 

Anxiety is worst in morning. I move a lot to manage it. Settles around lunch time somewhat. Awful sensations in throat , solar plexus, upper back tingles. No feeling just fear

• Administrator

Please supply those daily notes.

Slept well with no meds. Felt a bit weird in the night- heavy and numb at 4 am. Maybe an effect from starting keto / low carb diet 5 days ago ? Or ?
Woke to awful sensations and terrible anxiety about 7/10 around 6 am

7:30 took my regular 25mg of Zoloft.

had high fat smoothie and some avocado. 
felt really awful up to 11 am

went for long fast walk and anxiety at 12:30 6/10

lunch - eggs and veg and nut bar

Have had anxiety, and other awful sensations in chest and throat all afternoon for no particular reason. Yesterday I seemed to have a window and felt much better in the afternoon and it gave me hope. Today anxiety is persistent 7/10. 
Hoping evening will get better. It’s 5 pm

• Administrator

Please post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. We need to know how you feel before and after each dose.

11:30 pm slept till 4:30 am 

toilet diorreah 

rested and maybe another hour of sleep

7:30 morning anxiety- tight stomach, throat, chest. 
9:30 smoothie for breakfast 

housework anxiety a little better 6/10

fast walk 12 pm 45 min

felt better for an hour or so 

3:00 pm - very flat, awful feeling hard to describe, no joy possible, tingles in upper body. Slight sick feeling in tummy and throat- iatrogenesis. 
feels like I have no serotonin. 
5 pm - anxiety and awful buzzy sensations in body

meditation 20 min , epsom salt bath

7 pm dinner

evening felt flat and watched tv with agitated depression till 9:30

10:30 - 2 paracetamol and my hrt progesterone 

woke at 3:20 anxiety and dread

worry

stayrd in bed rocking with hot water bottle . In and out of bed to toilet

clutching on to husband while he slept 

• Administrator

In your daily notes, include when you take Zoloft and how you feel before and after each dose, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

I’m so sorry to say this but I am finding this site really hard to navigate when you are not feeling well 😮‍💨

update:- I had a horrific night two nights ago and didn’t sleep at all. I was enveloped by fear about just about everything and I rocked in the feral position all night. 
the following night I took some paracetamol and 2 mg of melatonin slow release and I slept so I feel a little better today. 
my question is - Is it ok to use melatonin while in withdrawal or experiencing iatrogenesis? Any thoughts/ experience with this? 
thanks 🙏🏻

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's our topic on melatonin:

Melatonin for sleep

Many members do find it helpful.  As you'll see in that topic, many do just as well on a lower dosage than 2 mg.

And I do see you have had mixed reactions to it,  that it sometimes does nothing, and then when last taken it seemed to help.

It is generally okay to take in WD.  Start low, go slow.  Don't make more than one change in anything at any time, so you'll know what helps, and what does not.  Glad it helped, although hard to know if it was the paracetamol or the melatonin.

The rule of 3KI's

I think you have a very de-stabilized nervous system right now, are very sensitive to changes and additions of things too.  I gave you a few links to topics that if you had not gone to yet......you might consider doing for help with coping.  You'll see those above.

Also see:  topic which includes the usage of paracetamol in withdrawal

Looks like we are still waiting on more notes from you too @Jaffa  I do see one set done, it was undated.....so do try to get the date at the top of your notes, and then I don't even see the Zoloft in there.  Those notes are above.  You will need to note when you take it to the left of the time, by name and dose.  You'll see prompts to how to do those, and your previous tries as well.  You're trying and that good.  We do need to see more of those, in the format outlined though.  So please keep trying.  Those will go right into a reply box here, in this, your topic.

I hope you are not doing inconsistent dosing now, hard to tell or know.  I don't see the Zoloft in your last note at all.

This is where you post, the advantage is that you can read up to see what has been given to you as far as information, and refresh on what is being asked of you as well.  The advantage for us is that your information is all in one place too.  Very helpful right now.

I'm sorry you are having difficulty navigating the site.  My best recommend would be to just post here for now.  Later, when you are feeling better.....it will be easier to figure out further navigation.

Hurray for the one decent night sleep.  And best Jaffa,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

3 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Here's our topic on melatonin:

Melatonin for sleep

Many members do find it helpful.  As you'll see in that topic, many do just as well on a lower dosage than 2 mg.

And I do see you have had mixed reactions to it,  that it sometimes does nothing, and then when last taken it seemed to help.

It is generally okay to take in WD.  Start low, go slow.  Don't make more than one change in anything at any time, so you'll know what helps, and what does not.  Glad it helped, although hard to know if it was the paracetamol or the melatonin.

The rule of 3KI's

I think you have a very de-stabilized nervous system right now, are very sensitive to changes and additions of things too.  I gave you a few links to topics that if you had not gone to yet......you might consider doing for help with coping.  You'll see those above.

Also see:  topic which includes the usage of paracetamol in withdrawal

Looks like we are still waiting on more notes from you too @Jaffa  I do see one set done, it was undated.....so do try to get the date at the top of your notes, and then I don't even see the Zoloft in there.  Those notes are above.  You will need to note when you take it to the left of the time, by name and dose.  You'll see prompts to how to do those, and your previous tries as well.  You're trying and that good.  We do need to see more of those, in the format outlined though.  So please keep trying.  Those will go right into a reply box here, in this, your topic.

I hope you are not doing inconsistent dosing now, hard to tell or know.  I don't see the Zoloft in your last note at all.

This is where you post, the advantage is that you can read up to see what has been given to you as far as information, and refresh on what is being asked of you as well.  The advantage for us is that your information is all in one place too.  Very helpful right now.

I'm sorry you are having difficulty navigating the site.  My best recommend would be to just post here for now.  Later, when you are feeling better.....it will be easier to figure out further navigation.

Hurray for the one decent night sleep.  And best Jaffa,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Ok the reason I’m not posting my day is because it’s the same pretty much. I take 25 mg of Zoloft every morning at 7:30- 8:30 . 
my mornings are the worst with agitation, anxiety and overwhelm. 
I get moving and try to keep busy. 
Im hyper focused and appear normal but am struggling terribly. 
I exercise and that helps lower the anxiety. 
Sometimea my anxiety drops in afternoon but then I feel other yuck - anhedonia and joyless with some tingling sensations that are upsetting. 

I keep busy and distracted to cope. I try and make social contact with a friend. Off course that’s challenging as they don’t understand. 
Evenings I epsom salt bath

Im eating well towards keto but some carb because I’m scared of full blown ketosis. 
Bedtime I take paracetamol and melatonin but not all the time. 
This is my day everyday. 

I have no intention of tapering off my 25 mg of Zoloft. No way

This is iatrogenesis brought on by huge stress about 5 weeks ago involving my bladder , my thyroid and my husband’s health. All those things have been resolved now but it ignited either a late onset withdrawal ( stable on 25 mg of Zoloft for 9 months down from 29 mg before that) or ptsd and a brain injured from too many attempts to taper off and then catastrophic reinstatement or updosing which led to torturous Akathisia. 

There is no variation with this day other than to say that some days the symptoms are worse than others. 
🙏🏻

Update

Hi everyone, 

yesterday I had a more manageable day - still awful but manageable. Today it’s shot back up to dreadful. Really struggling. Anxiety, tingling and stomach tight . I’m doing all the self care I can but I can’t stop overthinking my tasks and my to do list to get me through the day. 
my other problem is that me weight is dropping. I’ve gone from 56 kilos( 123 pounds) to 49 kilos ( 108 pounds ) in 5  weeks. I’m eating a high fat high protein diet. Keto I guess but trying to add some carb because I’m scared of full blown ketosis. Thoughts on weight 

Edited by Shep
added title after moving from another intro thread

Poop out or withdrawal

Alto strata and admin,

Is it possible or likely that I’m experiencing full blown withdrawal despite being on 25 mg of Zoloft OR poop out ? If so what is the recommended action. So I stay put on 25 mg. Am I supposed to continue tapering while feeling this terrible? This is so awful. I’m really struggling to get through the day and sone times the night. 🙏🏻

Edited by Shep
added title after moving from another intro thread

Tryptophan and 5 htp ?

Has anyone tried 5 Htp while in withdrawal and / or tryptophan? Recommended by a psychiatrist Hyla Cass on a podcast to do with psych med withdrawal. 

Edited by Shep
added title after moving from the Symptoms & Self Care forum

• Moderator Emeritus

@Jaffa Please note I moved your last three posts from new threads you had started. Please ask ALL questions here in your original intro/update thread. This keeps all of your information in one place.

You can use the search box to find a lot of information. Here is the thread on 5htp:

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) and l-tryptophan

9 hours ago, Jaffa said:

my other problem is that me weight is dropping. I’ve gone from 56 kilos( 123 pounds) to 49 kilos ( 108 pounds ) in 5  weeks. I’m eating a high fat high protein diet. Keto I guess but trying to add some carb because I’m scared of full blown ketosis. Thoughts on weight 

Most people lose weight on the Keto diet. You may not want to do the Keto diet at this time. You can eat healthy by eating plenty of protein, fruits, and vegetables and avoiding sugar, caffeine, processed foods, and alcohol. 

Oh thanks. Sorry for the mistake in posting. Struggling a bit with this site

Hi @Jaffa and welcome to the community.

Im sorry to hear of your struggles and hope you can find some respite soon.

From my experience trying other drugs to fix a problem caused by drugs doesnt really work. Im not a mod though so i cant give any advice.

The only thing i can say is please follow whatever the admins request from you. They can not help without all the relevant info. 

Good luck 

2015- Jan 2021 20mg Citalapram

Jan 2021- April 2021 Sertraline (CT)

June 2021 - Fluoxetine & Trazadone

Oct 2021- Trazadone to Quitiapin 

Oct 2021 to June 2022 switches Duloxetine then paroxatine then Venlafaxine.

June 2022- venlafaxine for 5 or 6 weeks at 37.5 twice daily. Upped for one week to 75mg twice daily but caused panic attacks. Dropped back down to 37.5 twice daily. Panic attacks stopped. 

1 week- 62.5mg 1 week- 50mg 1 week- 37.5mg 1 week - 25mg 

ANTIDEPRESSANT FREE SINCE JULY 22ND 2022!! 

18/05/23 - 01-06/23 doxycycline for a rat bite 

Taken propranalol since 2015. 80mg.

21/11/22 76mg. 28/11/22 72mg. 05/12/22 68mg. 19/12/22 64mg. 27/12/22 60mg. 02/01/23 56mg. 09/01/23 50mg. 16/01/23 47mg. 23/01/23 44mg. 29/01/23 40mg. 05/02/23 38mg. 12/02/23 35mg. 19/02/23 32mg. 25/02/23 27mg. 04/03/23 25mg. 11/03/23 22mg. 17/03/23 19mg. 24/03/23 20mg. 05/04/23 18mg. 11/04/23 16mg. 17/04/23 14mg. 27/04/23 20mg. 19/06/23 19mg. 25/06/23 20mg. 04/08/23 18mg. 11/08/23 17mg. 16/08/23 16mg. 25/08/23 15mg. 01/09/23 14mg. 08/09/23 13mg. 15/08/23 12mg. 22/09/23 11mg. 29/09/23 10mg. 19/11/23 9mg. 26/11/23 8mg. 03/12/23 7mg. 10/12/23 6mg. 17/12/23 5mg. 24/12/23 4mg. 31/01/23 3mg. 07/01/24 2mg. 13/01/24 1mg. 19/01/24 0mg. DONE! 

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Ok the reason I’m not posting my day is because it’s the same pretty much. I take 25 mg of Zoloft every morning at 7:30- 8:30 . 
my mornings are the worst with agitation, anxiety and overwhelm. 

Hi Jaffa, and good to know the ^.

And I know, it all seems the same to you......your days now, but the notes- on a daily basis, in the format suggested, just might shed light on something else.  Looks like Altostrata is following, and is definitely more expert than I, in being able to discern if there is anything else that might help now.  So......I still encourage you to do some notes, especially if you'd like more input from Alto at this point.  Use some of your hyper focus to focus on those notes, first on paper, and then share here.

Good, that you are consistent with the dose and time of the Zoloft.  Glad to hear that.

It's not unusual that some will suddenly experience a late onset WD type reaction.  I did all the math, as to if you had done a 10% reduction and comparing that to the linear reductions that you have done.  You've said you went down by 2 mg each drop.  And you have not exceeded a > than 10% reduction, as far as I can tell.  At any time.   And I agree, the health issues encountered did sure seem to precipitate your present reaction......some certainly due to the iatrogenesis, and then also WD kicked on in I think.   I wish we could turn it around really quickly, darn it!

As far as your thyroid goes......is that all in good shape now?  With normalizing thyroid function?  Do you take a medication for this?

I also saw that you do have some great non-drug coping skills that you use.  That's good.

Easy does it for right now, on the additions and or very restrictive diets......as those above have mentioned.  Each addition just further is skewing the full picture right now, and further confusing your now very vulnerable nervous system.  Proceed gently......treat it like a baby.

My best suggest, again, would be for you to do some more notes, a few days worth........then post.  As that will get you further input from Alto.......and maybe they will see something, and be able to suggest something that helps.  No one is going to push you to taper right now.  Describe your symptoms, get your sleep in there(after the fact, or no sleep with the first a.m. time) and every drug or supplement you take.  With name and dose.

Meantime, do hang in and on, which you are valiantly doing.  Trust me, this WILL pass.  Unfortunate the time sometimes involved.   I am so sorry.  You've already been through so very much.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thankyou. The keto diet is partly because it stops my diorreah and I’m eating a lot of food by force cause I have no appetite. The weight loss is due more to the endless agitation and anxiety and lack of sleep. I will add more carbs. I’m eating very green and clean so nutrition is good but my system is hyper sensitive/ hyperactive. My thyroid is all good now according to bloods but large thyroid nodule. I don’t know how to post updates. What are the steps please 🙏🏻

I'm really worried that Im not going to heal. I'm feeling so terrible. My nervous system feels locked into anxiety and my body feels tense and my heart is beating faster than usual. I have had several attempts over the last 18 years to taper from this Zoloft( about 6 in total). Each time I hit unbearable withdrawal I reinstated the Zoloft quite quickly but ended up catastrophically worse with akathisia. Is my brain damaged from all these attempts to withdraw and then reinstate? Are there any success stories involving people who have had a similar history? So many episodes of traumatic akathisia make me wonder if my brain is damaged - my receptors and so forth. Really feeling terrified both about continuing to feel like this and possibly needing to introduce more medication.

I hope Ive put this in the right thread

11 hours ago, Jaffa said:

The weight loss is due more to the endless agitation and anxiety and lack of sleep.

I had the same, I lost a copious amount of weight during my more acute stage.

You will start improving sooner rather than later, you can trust the mods. If I had followed their advice from the beginning I would very likely be already healed!

Hang in there.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• Moderator Emeritus

Jaffa, You did it.  Posted in your topic, your Introduction.

No,  I don't believe you are permanently damaged.  I know it's tough right now and has been. 

Do try and post some notes, scroll up to find those instructions again as to how to do those.  Those will help to get you more input into what might help now.

Please do another couple of days worth, real time, posting 24 hours at a time, dated, with all drugs and supplements included by name and dose.  You know the drill.

Thanks.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/27/2023 at 10:07 PM, Jaffa said:

I hope Ive put this in the right thread

No, your last two posts were in a new introduction thread. I just merged them into your original topic. Please stop starting new threads. 

I placed your intro/update thread link in your signature and also in your profile. If you lose track of it, go to the upper right corner of your computer and click on the little drop down arrow next to your username. The link to your introduction topic is over on the left side toward the bottom. You may want to bookmark it on your computer. 

On 6/27/2023 at 8:58 PM, Jaffa said:

Is my brain damaged from all these attempts to withdraw and then reinstate? Are there any success stories involving people who have had a similar history? So many episodes of traumatic akathisia make me wonder if my brain is damaged - my receptors and so forth. Really feeling terrified both about continuing to feel like this and possibly needing to introduce more medication.

Your brain and body are temporarily damaged. Most people who come here are dealing with some sort of destabilization, if not outright hypersensitivity and kindling. But we have plenty of success stories:

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal

Edited by Shep
fixed typo