Dahlia50: Reducing Zoloft

Dahlia50

Hi,
I’ve taken zoloft 50mg 14 years non-stop.
Later years felt numbed, disinterest, vision problems, inner shakes, burning weird headache etc.

First doctor wanted to increase dose but I felt so bad we stopped it. Later on decreased dose with 12,5mg. In few days had symptoms and got advised to go back to 50mg - adverse effect and became worse. Muscle twitching, heart palpitations, aggression, intensive suicide thoughts, burning in head felt like electricity. 
Went to clinic first time. They said stress. Then another doctor said it could be serotonin syndrome or akathisia.
Months went by with severe side effects. Difficult position having side effects from taken zoloft but also from reducing it. Went into clinic to get help to reduce. 25mg cut ”your on observation”. The fifth day I didnt get anything and said - Stop, you cannot do this in five days!!? 50mg to zero 😕. I left. Was told by doctor ”you can't go back now because then you'll get really sick”.

Its 10 weeks since cut from 50 to 25. At first felt ”ok” but third week came most of the hard WD. Mostly in bed for weeks: weekness, extreme fatigue, cognitive memory, difficulties to walk, palpitations, buzzing electric sensations with headache, pain in body neck shoulders, blurred weird vision diziness disoriented.

Few times also feeling little more presence than zombie-feeling. But it feels like senses are overwhelmed to take in impressions. Been taking Zoloft for so long I don’t know how it is without. Think Im breaking down Zoloft slowly and sensitive but haven’t checked it out.

Right now my worst WD is severe headache in different places, pressure in head, eyes down my neck and in general feel week and lost. Some days been unbearable. Brainfog, cognitive (to write this). No energy, electric buzzing head, achy, stiffness, feeling behind and sensitive to noise and light. Tried few walks but body mostly says No. I know it's a too big reduction but was hoping. Had severe side effects and heard that the last 25mg is the hardest, would do it very slowly.

Worried that maybe WD will be delayed and could be worse... Is it common for Zoloft (short half-life)? Thinking about long time effects and if I made a to big cut for the system. Also worried how tough 25mg reducing is for my heart, female 50 year. Could it be dangerous? Its 10 weeks since cut, is it even possible to reinstate and how small amount? I dont know…trying to hold on, wait, and just feels good to be here…

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

2022 May - 62,5mg (doctor wanted to increase). Felt sick, went back to 50mg efter 2 weeks

2022 Oct - Reducing dose to 37,5mg (from 50mg). WD in few days, advised to go back to 50 - I then got adverse worse paradoxical effect

2022 Oct - Zoloft 50mg severe side effects/adverse reaction

2023 May 5th - Reducing dose to 25mg (directly from 50mg by Dr, WD).

2023 Aug 1st - Reducing dose to 12,5mg 

2023 Oct 10th - Removed dose from 12mg to zero by Dr. Tried reinstate citalopram after 3 months didnt work bad reaction. In Terrible WD.

Use melatonin 4mg. Lergigan 5mg. Omega 3, D-vitamin, magnesium glycinate, zink.

• manymoretodays changed the title to Dahlia50: Reducing Zoloft

Hi,

I have a question related to my introduction. Regarding adverse reaction or serotonin toxicity.

Ever since last year when I had a reversed reaction to zoloft I feel worse after I’ve taken the pill.

I feel that even with 25mg zoloft. Its powerful, feels like my body cant tolerate the substance.

Its Every day and Same effect. I feel it after 2 hours but after 4 hours when zoloft is fully out in my body/bloodsystem, Im clearly affected by it for 3 hours. Feeling  dizzy, affects my vision, pressure in head, and its hard to breathe. I feel over stimulator, aggressive with racing thoughts and chemical anxiety. I cant do anything then to lady down. Its like Im gone for a while like Im going to pass out. Hard to concentrate, I cant even think when it effects my brain. 

Its the Exactly same hours Every day after taking the pill. It feels separate from WD.

What is your experience and thoughts of that...? It makes me want to taper again. Ive been struggeling but tried to wait as long as I can to stabilize before another taper. Tommorow its 11 weeks since my last 50% cut from 50mg to 25mg. How long is good to wait….

Edited by manymoretodays
name to topic title

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

2022 May - 62,5mg (doctor wanted to increase). Felt sick, went back to 50mg efter 2 weeks

2022 Oct - Reducing dose to 37,5mg (from 50mg). WD in few days, advised to go back to 50 - I then got adverse worse paradoxical effect

2023 Oct 10th - Removed dose from 12mg to zero by Dr. Tried reinstate citalopram after 3 months didnt work bad reaction. In Terrible WD.

Hi,

I have a question related to my introduction. Regarding adverse reaction or serotonin toxicity.

Ever since last year when I had a reversed reaction to zoloft I feel worse after I’ve taken the pill.

I feel that even with 25mg zoloft. Its powerful, feels like my body can’t tolerate the substance.

Its Every day, same time and effect. I feel it after 2 hours but after 4 hours when zoloft is fully out in my body/bloodsystem, Im strongly affected by it for 3 hours. Feeling dizzy, affects my vision, pressure in head and hard to breathe. I feel over stimulated, aggressive with racing thoughts and chemical anxiety. I cant do anything then to lay down. Like Im gone for a while and going to pass out. I can’t even think when it effects my brain. Its exactly the same hours Every day after taking the pill. It feels separate from WD.

What is your experience and thoughts...? It makes me want to taper again. Ive been struggeling but tried to wait as long as I can to stabilize before another taper. Tommorow its 11 weeks since my last 50% cut from 50mg to 25mg. How long is good to wait….

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Dahlia50: Adverse reaction or serotonin toxicity
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Dahlia50

Are you still taking 25mg Zoloft? How has your symptom pattern changed in the last month? What is your sleep pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for an important site and for your reply!
I’ve received good information here and also want to contribute to your research of stories and facts. It has begun to receive a little more attention in the Nordic countries but knowledge is still poor unfortunately.

To answer your question, yes I’m still taking 25mg Zoloft. I was close to giving up but I didn't dare to go back and increase. I do have WD and also I feel worse after taking the pill. So I’ve fighted to get to this now 3 mounths since 50% reduction. 

At first I had a lot of extreme physical symptoms such as dizziness nausea vision problems extreme joint and muscle pain stiffness palpitations, brain zaps, pressning and electric sense in head. 
Last month its more changed to severe headache that moves around and like a rubber band around head. Its no ordinary headache. Now more of fear anxiety confusion and the last 2 weeks feeling of depression. Easy to tears.

I have waves and small windows but in general I feel week low sore power- and energyless. Cognitive issues, my brain feels tired slow and sluggish. I have a constant buzzing sound in my head but not as loud now.
6 mounts ago I changed to taking the pill in the morning instead of evening. It means that its tougher during days so I cant work but it helps sleep a little.
Since 2 weeks I sleep better but could be better. I often fall asleep too late cause that is my time when I feel calmer and a bit better.

What is maybe a little special in my case is that I did not feel well from Zoloft before I started to decrease. I had side effects and an exhaustion. I think the substance contributed me being exhausted when I was pushing myself for years with a ”chemical false strength” when I was actually very numb from emotion, more like a hard working robot which made me lose touch with myself and soul in a way. 
I didn't realize it at all when I was on zoloft but I can start seeing it now how it actually affected my life in a negative way in recent years.

So in that way I understand that there is a mountain of emotions and problems that will come up now that zoloft has put a lid on. How are you supposed to be able to grasp feelings and work on things if you don't feel them and are disconnected. B

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

Also, you should taper a substance when you’re stable and in a good place. But I had to reduce and jump because I felt so sick from it. I had a reaction/adverse effect when I increased dose and I got intense suicide thoughts (which I never ever had before) burning in my head and muscle twitching all over my body. Thats when the electricity feeling to my brain started. I’ve never experienced that before. And didnt know anything about it.
And almost the worst part - it took too long for doctors to even understand side effects and persistent attempts from me to try to get some help. 
Doctors have acknowledged side effects but even until today they dont understand that it was some adverse effect and it felt toxic. They say Im unusual.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Dahlia50 said:

I do have WD and also I feel worse after taking the pill. So I’ve fighted to get to this now 3 mounths since 50% reduction. 

Please explain more about how you feel worse. What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages? How do you feel before you take each dose, how do you feel afterward? 

When you were taking 50mg Zoloft, how did it make you feel sick? You were taking 50mg for 14 years, correct?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Correct, I’ve been taking 50mg zoloft for 14-15 years.

When I took 50mg I felt different things recent years: vision problems, light sensitive, difficulty concentrating, headache, some shakings and in the end more and more distance cut off zombie-feeling. Felt inattention while driving my car, wasnt really in control with perception like affected by something. Checked my eyes. Weirdly enough I didnt connect it with the fact that I also take a substance until later.

It wasnt until I changed my dose that something happened. First decreased dose and then soon after went back to 50mg. Then I got muscle twitching all over, burning head, palpitations (checked my heart) a loud tinnitus sound (didnt have before) electricity feeling in my head, intensiv suicide thougts (first time) aggressive racing upset, couldnt sleep, everything just felt very intense. 

Today I take my 25mg at 9am.

I feel ok in the morning. My head is clearer. Lighter softer in my body and more inside myself like myself. Although a little fragile from this whole tapering thing. 

I actually feel the substance even the first hour. I get tired from it. But approx after 3 hours I start feeling bad. And every day after 4 hours at 13am I get more headache at certain spots, blurry vision, more elictricity sound, stiffness in neck, body feels heavier and harder to walk, I feel lost cant think, I sneeze several times, getting paler, confused, internal discomfort, less presence, no apetite, real pressure and anxiety (more chemical), harder to breath, my temperature rises, my heart, stomach issues, inner shakings. In bed and endures it for 3-4 hours. I feel sick. Late afternoon/evening it slows down in intensity.

I feel dull afterwards and tired head but not all the intense symptoms as above.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Dahlia50 said:

But approx after 3 hours I start feeling bad. And every day after 4 hours at 13am I get more headache at certain spots, blurry vision, more elictricity sound, stiffness in neck, body feels heavier and harder to walk, I feel lost cant think, I sneeze several times, getting paler, confused, internal discomfort, less presence, no apetite, real pressure and anxiety (more chemical), harder to breath, my temperature rises, my heart, stomach issues, inner shakings. In bed and endures it for 3-4 hours. I feel sick. Late afternoon/evening it slows down in intensity.

Do you mean these symptoms start 3 hours after taking 25mg Zoloft? If so, those are adverse drug effects, not withdrawal symptoms.

How's your sleep?

I think adverse effect too.

I fall asleep too late around midnight. Some nights been ok but woke up 3am this morning.

Worried about the situation.
Feel I have to do another lowering soon due to tough adverse effect. Because of that I would like to decrease to 12.5mg (cut 25 in half) but don't know if I dare when I now know how tough it is. Or should lower 10%. Means I also have to switch directly to liquid. ”Thinking out loud” cause this is all I'm thinking about right now….

I have contacted helth care but they talk about being careful with relapse - when my problem right now are adverse effects, but at least they now Im having side effects so I do know where to call if too unbearable.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• Administrator

You might try reducing 25mg Zoloft by 10%, or 2.5mg. See Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Late reply. Reducing 10% would have been the best.
I felt bad from substance so went to clinic for some days. Unfortunately they don't do small cuts so now I’ve made another decrease to 12,5mg. Dont know how to get through another WD at home and nervous it gets even worse this time at lower doses. It is so painful.
Already started to feel symptoms after 4 days but the worst started after 3 weeks last time. 

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

I felt bad adverse effect after taking the pill, needed to reduce. Have received prescription Oxascand 5mg which I can take when it gets too bad. What is your experience? Can Oxascand help and slow down WD symptoms or can it make it worse…?

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• Administrator
On 7/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, Altostrata said:

You might try reducing 25mg Zoloft by 10%, or 2.5mg. See Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

We advise gradual tapering, as above. 

Suggest you stop tapering and see if the withdrawal effects go away. If they get worse, if I were you, I'd updose to 15mg, see if that's enough.

12 hours ago, Dahlia50 said:

Oxascand 5mg

Please use the pharmaceutical name for your drugs so we don't have to Google to find out what they are. I'll presume this is a benzo. Benzos tend to incur physiological dependency if dosed daily.

Hi,

Felt too bad from substance so had to take a step down to 12.5mg.

Hasn’t been that many days yet but expecting the same horrible WD symptoms as last time. If/when they get worse, I'd updose to 15mg as per your suggestion. Will stay at 12.5mg until it gets better which took almost 3 months last time. I’m worried about permanent side effects but trying not to think too much.

Yes its benzo, pharmaceutical name Oxazepam. Have them for worst case a few days - if I cant stand it. Know they are addictive so would rater not take them. I’ve also got Lergigan (Prometazinhydroklorid).

Thank you, this is such a great and supportive site when struggling with this misery of AD.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on my third week after tapering to 12.5mg zoloft. Just like last time, felt OK the first 2 weeks but then WD comes. I wonder what actually hurts so much inside the head, does anyone know? Receptors, neurotransmitters, synapses, nerves. Pressing burning sharp headache that also moves around in different spots and feels electric. Does not resemble a normal headache. Anyone who recognize this real pain in head?

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

Feels like nothing helps with this horrible headache but if anyone has any advice on something that may help…

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor
On 8/23/2023 at 2:17 PM, Dahlia50 said:

I'm on my third week after tapering to 12.5mg zoloft. Just like last time, felt OK the first 2 weeks but then WD comes. I wonder what actually hurts so much inside the head, does anyone know? Receptors, neurotransmitters, synapses, nerves. Pressing burning sharp headache that also moves around in different spots and feels electric. Does not resemble a normal headache. Anyone who recognize this real pain in head?

Hi @Dahlia50  I was on Zoloft for 2 years, a similar dose to you. I read your post and I can tell you that I had EXACTLY the same symptoms and the tremors you mention elsewhere in your posts. My thoughts are exactly the same as yours, that it is related to neurotransmitters etc in the brain growing and rebalancing. It started when I stopped taking it (I did cold turkey from 12.5mg to 0mg).

So you are not unique or alone. Perhaps this is a common symptom in Zoloft withdrawal. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Hi @DaBro,

Thanks for your reply! You feel alone with this. Frustrating when trying to explain to others and they say you're just worried. Your comment ment a lot, appreciated. I'm struggling right now, six weeks on 12,5mg. Sometimes wonder if I will manage this without Zoloft and if it ever will get better. 

I get angry at doctors who don't know (or don’t want to understand) that it often is more difficult the further down you get and the last bit.

So you did cold turkey from 12,5mg and felt tremor and thoose neurotranmitters in the brain. Even if ”only” been on zoloft for two years. Did it get better over time... 

I intend to go down to 6mg next time and not stop suddenly from 12,5mg. But its tough no matter how you do it.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• Mentor

Hi @Dahlia50  I know how hard it is and people who have not experienced what we have do not understand. Fortunately my wife could see WD was real because of all my physical symptoms (Dyskinesia, sweating, voice loss, facial palsy). People mean well when they tell you they’ve felt tired and groggy too, but they don’t really understand. 

Believe me when I will say you will make it through. Your body is just adjusting (healing) to the Zoloft going. It’s not going to be easy but it is the direction you want to go. 

as for me, you can read my recovery story. I cold turkey’d because I didn’t like being on Zoloft. I was constantly tired and emotionally numb. My doctor said that at 12.5mg I was effectively on zero and it was probably only a placebo and I could just stop (wrong). The medical advice was that you could get withdrawal symptoms for 3 weeks, so I decided to just stop and live with the symptoms. 3 weeks became 3 months, by which time I knew I never wanted to go near these drugs again. I found this website 6 months into WD. So I’m not the right person for tapering advice.

just wanted you to know that how you feel is (unfortunately) normal and that you will be ok. It’s a hard journey and you’ll have good and bad days with no logical reason why you can feel ok one moment and terrible an hour later. It’s healing.

And yes, it gets better over time and no, many doctors don’t understand. They have been given wrong information by the drug producers. 

my supplement tips are simple. 
omega 3 in the morning and magnesium Glycinate an hour before bed. I found Gynostemma tea helped with the head pain a little bit - not a magic cure, but it took the edge off.
Music and podcasts for distraction. 

stay strong. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 5:58 AM, Dahlia50 said:

Correct, I’ve been taking 50mg zoloft for 14-15 years.

When I took 50mg I felt different things recent years: vision problems, light sensitive, difficulty concentrating, headache, some shakings and in the end more and more distance cut off zombie-feeling. Felt inattention while driving my car, wasnt really in control with perception like affected by something. Checked my eyes. Weirdly enough I didnt connect it with the fact that I also take a substance until later.

It wasnt until I changed my dose that something happened. First decreased dose and then soon after went back to 50mg. Then I got muscle twitching all over, burning head, palpitations (checked my heart) a loud tinnitus sound (didnt have before) electricity feeling in my head, intensiv suicide thougts (first time) aggressive racing upset, couldnt sleep, everything just felt very intense. 

Today I take my 25mg at 9am.

I feel ok in the morning. My head is clearer. Lighter softer in my body and more inside myself like myself. Although a little fragile from this whole tapering thing. 

I actually feel the substance even the first hour. I get tired from it. But approx after 3 hours I start feeling bad. And every day after 4 hours at 13am I get more headache at certain spots, blurry vision, more elictricity sound, stiffness in neck, body feels heavier and harder to walk, I feel lost cant think, I sneeze several times, getting paler, confused, internal discomfort, less presence, no apetite, real pressure and anxiety (more chemical), harder to breath, my temperature rises, my heart, stomach issues, inner shakings. In bed and endures it for 3-4 hours. I feel sick. Late afternoon/evening it slows down in intensity.

I feel dull afterwards and tired head but not all the intense symptoms as above.

It sounds as though you may have gone through something similar to myself. I had been placed on 100mg sertraline about a month and a half earlier and the psychiatrist had refused to listen to my complaints about increasing side effects, insisting that I continue on the dosage. I experienced a migraine which lasted about thirty hours and, after I had been threatened if I didn't continue to take the dosage, wound up experiencing what I now know to have been called the first of three thunderclap headaches. I could barely see anything even indoors because my eye's were so sensitive to the light, I smashed my home, almost committed suicide, and spent the next five years doing my best to fight the constant urge to try to kill anyone coming near to me. I managed to work out that the feeling of electricity running through my body was something called adrenergic storming, caused by pituitary damage and the adrenal gland releasing adrenaline twenty four hours a day. You may have caught the condition before it became that severe.

Prior medications;

sertraline 50mg April

sertraline 100mg May to July 2014 (ceased medication immediately upon occurrence of first thunderclap headache)

lorazepam April 2014 and November 2014 to January 2015 (each time suppressing symptoms of illness until two weeks after cessation of medication)

seroquel November 2014 to January 2015 50mg prior to being raised to 100mg for one day (medication ceased immediately upon occurrence of convulsive seizure)

warfarin 1990 to June 2023

Was instructed to 'cease doing anything healthy' by treating psychiatrist in June 2014 (the psychiatrist stating that belief in disease is the cause of disease and that dietary supplementation encourages people to think there's something wrong with us) so only commenced taking supplements again in June 2023 upon contrary instructions from GP.

Current medications;

eliquis since June 2023

Supplements; multivitamin/mineral, zinc, magnesium, calcium/magnesium, vitamin c, vitamin d, spirulina, resveratrol, iron.

Thanks for comment. I’ve met several doctors. All pretty much refused to listen to complaints about side effects. Had headache and that sensitivity to light for a long time. Even now during WD when reducing the dose. Thunder headache. Pressure. Feeling of pulsating electricity. Hard to describe. Sounds similar to what you describe about adrenergic storming and adrenaline. 5 years sounds really tough.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

I was lucky enough to find the account of the experience of the son of the British Earl of the town of Sandwich who experienced similar symptoms years ago, after long term psychiatric treatment. That account detailed how he had taken five years to recover so I knew that, if I was one of the people who do recover, it was likely to take that long. I think I had already made it about two years at the time but it was reassuring to know that it was likely to come to an end at some point. If you remember the rough periods early in zoloft treatment, when you pretty much lose it and they have to give you benzodiazepines to calm you down, it's a state called akathisia. Adrenergic storming is like that without end. Headaches would come and go so I had to keep boxes of paracetamol handy all of the time. Funny, they always tell you that the dosages have to be gradually reduced in order to prevent these kind of effects but when they do happen the doctors take you straight off at the high dose and then go into cover up mode without explanation of what's happened.

Prior medications;

sertraline 50mg April

sertraline 100mg May to July 2014 (ceased medication immediately upon occurrence of first thunderclap headache)

lorazepam April 2014 and November 2014 to January 2015 (each time suppressing symptoms of illness until two weeks after cessation of medication)

seroquel November 2014 to January 2015 50mg prior to being raised to 100mg for one day (medication ceased immediately upon occurrence of convulsive seizure)

Was instructed to 'cease doing anything healthy' by treating psychiatrist in June 2014 (the psychiatrist stating that belief in disease is the cause of disease and that dietary supplementation encourages people to think there's something wrong with us) so only commenced taking supplements again in June 2023 upon contrary instructions from GP.

Current medications;

eliquis since June 2023

Supplements; multivitamin/mineral, zinc, magnesium, calcium/magnesium, vitamin c, vitamin d, spirulina, resveratrol, iron.

• 2 months later...

Update. Previous adverse reaction to Zoloft. When to taper with liquid, it didn't go well at all. Got worse/allergic. In hospital for few days, doctor wanted to remove it completely ”small dose” (12mg). Knew I should taper more but as I couldn't stand liquids I agreed to stop from the existing dose. It is very painful. So angry at doctors ignorance.

Like previous tapering, it went reasonably well in the beginning. 3-4 weeks before the worst started. Now on week 10 without zoloft. For several weeks mostly bedridden, couldn't even stand up. Extremely chemical in the head with pressing pulsating vibration electric feeling. Pain in the body nerves and muscles. The memory disappeared completely for a while, disoriented with brain fog and distance from both myself and surroundings. Extremely tired. Emotionally numb.

Considering how bad I felt on zoloft, I never wanted to go back even though at the moment it feels uncertain if I can handle this. 
Have a question - the hours I felt worst from zoloft after taking the pill, I feel bad from side effects even now during the same time. Is it withdrawal or still side effects??

Now I feel depression and anxiety but think still chemical. Sometimes feels like I'm going crazy, feelings of unreality and damaged forever. Trying to fight this.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

• Mentor

Sending you strength @Dahlia50  . It is 100% from the withdrawal and not reality. 

I remember how hard it was at first but do try to get out for a walk, even for 15 minutes. Listen to some music. Keep a journal of things to appreciate each day. It’s so hard when you feel so low but with time you will get better. Healing has started, it just doesn’t feel like it. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Thanks for the reply @DaBro Needed it. Means a lot with someone who understands. It's so hard and it's nothing like normal so it's hard to explain to others. I’ve been stuck/taking zoloft for so long and concerned that it will take longer then. But I have no choice, it's terrible now but one day it might start to get a little better even if it feels far away. It takes such a long time and sometimes it gets worse when you hope it will get better. Like the brain isn't working and it definitely affects the thoughts. There is not much you can do when there is so much fatigue in the brain and body. But thanks for good advice, will try to go out if only for 5-10 minutes and remind myself that it’s withdrawal and not reality.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

It may help you to get through if you understand that serotonin is the same poison which stingrays use to cause intense pain when they sting people and animals in the sea. High levels of serotonin cause vasoconstriction of blood vessels in the body and brain, cutting off blood, oxygen, and nutrient supply, throughout the body. So even tapering is going to cause fluctuations in vasodilation/vasoconstriction.

Prior medications;

sertraline 50mg April

Current medications;

eliquis since June 2023

@Barry2954 It definitely felt like poison. Like it affected blood and oxygen. Unfortunately, it sounds like it can cause damage then.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

Hi,

My biggest suffering now 10 weeks after stopping zoloft is Electricity and Pressure in my head non-stop. There is an extreme amount of electricity and electrical noise in the head and like an electric current through the body. Is it neurotransmitters? Epilepsy? Is there anything that can be taken to reduce this? Or is it just to let time pass. Today it's worse than ever, feel scared. Like Im going crazy, head going to explode. Irritated and depressed with negative thoughts losing hope. I can't insert 1mg liquid zoloft as I had a reaction. The question is whether fluoxetine would work. Or maybe it will just be even more chaos in the brain now if take something. Just thinking out loud…trying to bear this…

Did not tolerate zoloft liquid and had an allergic reaction. What I would have done instead was to split the 12mg tablet in half. But the doctor thought I was taking so little that it was fine to stop completely as he understood that I couldn't tolerate zoloft anymore. Have given up on doctors, they don't listen and dont believe symptoms.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

I don't know about others but I was able to learn that my own feeling of being flooded with electricity was a constant flooding of the body with adrenaline. The pituitary gland regulates the adrenal gland so, when it is injured, the adrenal gland can pretty much run amok and flood the body with adrenaline. How long this goes on depends on how severe the damage to the pituitary gland is. I have read that some people never recover but the majority of people will either recover within months or, like myself, recover after around five years.

Prior medications;

sertraline 50mg April

Current medications;

eliquis since June 2023

Hi @Alostrata or anyone els,

It's been 11 weeks since I completely stopped taking Zoloft. I was in a tough situation with an adverse reaction and when I stared to taper with liquid, I had an allergic reaction. Went to a psychiatric care, they thought I couldn't tolerate the substance and it should be taken off. Went from 11mg to zero Immediately. Unfortunately, they have no knowledge about WD and that it may come later.

After 3 weeks it was very chemical and I was bedridden for weeks. But it’s now after 11 weeks that I really hit WD. There is terrible pressure and pain in my head and I can't stand it. The last few days I’ve had suicidal thoughts. Trying to handle the anger. Depression. It's still chemical and cramping in the neck and head. Have histamine problems so I take several lergigan a day. I'm starting to fear that I won't be able to do this, that I'm one of those people who can't stop for taking it 14 years. I was not like this on 12.5mg so this current state/suffering came after the last reduction.

I dare not take 1mg liquid as I had an allergic reaction. My thoughts are if I can split 12mg tablet in half so it becomes 6mg or less and reinstate. Is it possible after 11 weeks? At the same time, afraid that it will be too much and cause a reaction. Thought about switch and take 1mg of fluoxetine (prozac) instead but am afraid of everything. To be like this for months. Can't work. Body aches and can't bear to go out. I'm totally lost right now…just writing and thinking out loud…

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

On 12/19/2023 at 8:39 AM, Dahlia50 said:

@Barry2954 It definitely felt like poison. Like it affected blood and oxygen. Unfortunately, it sounds like it can cause damage then.

I'm sorry to hear about your latest decline. I wish that I could offer some advice but my own reaction occurred because I was on the maximum dose and not experiencing withdrawal at the time. The biggest problem with psychiatric medications like zoloft is the secrecy surrounding negative reactions which psychiatrists maintain. There have been so many lies and threats to professionals speaking out against psychiatric treatments that it's a minefield for medical professionals who want to know the truth. Still, some years ago I was able to learn about Dr Peter Breggin. At one point he was so much of a advocate for psychiatry that he was teaching psychiatry in Harvard medical school and yet he found himself becoming increasingly critical of the profession and its medications that he turned on them, writing a number of books and recording videos which are available on Youtube. Despite all of the threats to their careers many professionals have spoken out against the profession and the fact that the medications are poisonous to many patients.

Prior medications;

sertraline 50mg April

Current medications;

eliquis since June 2023

Hi @Altostrata or anyone els,

Please see my last post, if there is any advice to be able to reinstate or if it is too late. Pressing pain in the head, aching burning throbbing in the body, feels like an injury. What should I do…. Wait it out or will there be more damage. Know there are no easy answers but Im scared. 

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

This also happened when I got covid and was in hospital, tried liquid and it didn't go well. Stressed when I couldn't taper with liquid, but I could have split the tablet into smaller parts instead. But I got sick from covid and couldn't even swallow then so it wasn't easy to think clearly.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

@Altostrata or anyone els,

Please is there anyone who can advise me, in some way. Know there is no magic help but...
Another level now. Thinking of reinstating 6mg zoloft again. It's the least dose I can think of in tablet form. Even though I had such side effects and felt so bad from taking zoloft, I cannot cope with this.

The brain is panicking. It constantly presses in the head and hurts incredibly and feels like electricity. Cramping sensation in the neck. It tears. System is panicking, I'm panicking. Anger aggression. Desperate. The sad thing is that I actually feel better without the substance in terms of the side effects and the feeling of poison. But now has WD (harm) instead. Since I stopped completely I had a lot of histamine problems. Red face/neck and flaky skin and nasal congestion (it has started to subside though). The worst is the chaos in the head, also starting to have difficulty sleeping. Can't go out for a walk, it's too hard for the brain (feels worse afterwards).

Try another SSRI, would help? Or maybe it's more something you do before to cross taper. It may not help WD, it’s zoloft the body wants. I am ready to reinstate zoloft but a worried about whether it will work after 3 months. Now that the nervous system has been hit, I am afraid that there will be a reaction if the body tolerates the substance. Adverse reaction. But what choice do I have...I try everything to endure but feel like I can't take it anymore... 

Maybe try to contact a doctor but they gave the ”wrong advice” last time and some hardly believe you, so dont know what to do.

2008 Zoloft 50mg 

@Altostrata or anyone els,

Please is there anyone who can advise me, in some way. Know there is no magic help but...
Another level now. Thinking of reinstating 6mg zoloft again. It's the least I can think of in tablet form. Even though I had such side effects and felt so bad from taking zoloft, I cannot cope with this WD that has occurred.

The brain is panicking. It constantly presses in the head and hurts so incredibly and feels like electricity. Cramping sensation in the neck. It tears. The system is panicking, I'm panicking. Anger aggression. Desperate. The sad thing is that I actually feel better without the substance in terms of the side effects and the feeling of poison. But now has abstinence (harm) instead. Since I stopped completely I had a lot of histamine problems (it has started to subside a bit though). Red face/neck and flaky skin and nasal congestion.

I am ready to reinstate but a worried about whether it will work after 3 months. Now that the nervous system has been hit, I am afraid that there will be a reaction if the body tolerates the substance. Adverse reaction. But what choice do I have...I try everything to endure but feel like I can't take it anymore... 

2008 Zoloft 50mg