DaveB: trying to stop a roller coaster year

DaveB

• Mentor
1 hour ago, DaveB said:

Hey guys, do you really think I will stabilize given time doing what I am currently doing and that I can get back to normal? My wife thinks I just need to quit taking everything, “why would you keep taking something that doesn’t make you  better?” She thinks I should just quit taking meds and “see what’s you, and what is side effects.”

I think you may have answered this already but is there any way to get your wife to read about withdrawal, read the stories here or something so she understands what this is like?
These are drugs that change our BRAINS, those changes don't happen overnight and un doing them isn't going to happen overnight either.

but I guess it's a hard thing for ppl to understand if they haven't had the experience with them.

*sigh*

It's gotta be so hard for you, having your wife doubt what are going thru and how you need to do it, to keep the symptoms under control.

I don't envy you at all, Dave.

stay strong, you're gonna get thru this

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Mate,

You quit now and I hope your wife is ready for the outcome because it more than likely will not be at all pretty. 

Your wife is the issue here not what your currently doing. That might sound harsh but you need to do what’s right for you.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Held for approx 4 to 6 weeks min on each reduction.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

Used diazepam (2018) 10mg 10th Nov, 5mg 11th Nov, 2.5mg 12 Nov, 2mg 13th Nov.

Used diazepam 10mg 24th Nov, 7.5 25th Nov and 5mg 26th November 2018

Well she gave me an ultimatum, quit the Paxil or she is done with me. I guess I will be taking the plunge, can’t ruin my family. Hopefully I can make it work and cope while my brain figures it out. I don’t think I have any other choice at this point. To her credit, the Paxil has never helped at all in the year and change I have taken it, so why continue.

2008 - October 28th, 2016: Zoloft 50 - 150 mgs, settled on 50mgs from 2011 - 2016.
January 23rd - March 1st 2017: Zoloft 50mgs, direct switch to Lexapro.
March 1st - May 1st 2017: Lexapro 10 mgs, down to 5mgs for a week, then off.
June 1st - July 31st 2017: Paxil 20mgs, Lyrica 600mgs
August 1st - September 30th 2017: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
October 1st  - November 12th 2017: Paxil 60mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
November 12th, 2017 - September 4th 2018: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs 

September 4th - September 27th: Paxil 30mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

September 28th - November 7th: Paxil 20mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs (Also Testosterone Therapy started in June 2018 and ended in November 2018)

November 7th 2018 - February 22nd 2019: Paxil 10mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

February 22nd 2019 - April 17th: Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin 1mgs

April 17th - Now: Zoloft 25mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin .5mgs

@Happy2Heal I have messaged u can u please reply back 

Sept 28 : nov 10 amitriptyline 10 mg

no history of drugs in past 

symptoms 

mild grainy vision , visual snow 

tinnitus 

dizziness

floters 

difficult in focusin 

muscle pain

• Moderator Emeritus

Dave,

If I was you and you’re keen to keep the marriage working, I’d keep taking the Paxil dose you’re taking now and pretend you’ve stopped it.

I’ve stopped sharing the specifics of this journey with my family and it’s saved a lot of arguments and headaches. 

Also, I’m doubtful she’s serious about ending it all over this episode with Paxil. It sounds like quite an empty threat, unless it’s something that’s built up for many months and years? This process can be very draining for our families and sometimes out of stress (and indeed their own despair) they can be outright unkind. 

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

• Mentor

Dave,

If you were a diabetic and your wife said quit taking your insulin or she was going to leave you, would you? Keep your pills at work my friend.  I'm am so sorry you are going through this.  Regardless of your decision we are here for you.

Warm wishes as always,

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Moderator Emeritus
22 minutes ago, eymen23 said:

I’d keep taking the Paxil dose you’re taking now and pretend you’ve stopped it.

I'm not sure that lying about it is good in a marriage.  Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome is in the DSM-5:

Going cold turkey now could make things much worse.  We have members here that have lost their job, become bedridden and/or had to move in with relatives because things have become unbearable.

CT and Fast Tapers

The other thing is, if you cold turkey and things go south, reinstatement may not work and/or you could end up on more drugs.

From Post #1 of About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

And the large red lettering is by Altostrata, not me.

On 10/9/2012 at 10:17 AM, Altostrata said:

Don't suddenly go off medication assuming that reinstatement is a safety net. This is one of the reasons we advocate gradual tapering to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Once the nervous system is destabilized by withdrawal, all bets are off. Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall.  (Humpty Dumpty is a character in a children's nursery rhyme - he is an egg.)

Reinstatement does not always work, and you may have to live with severe withdrawal syndrome for a long while. Medicine wants to believe the acute phase of withdrawal lasts only a few weeks. From what people have posted on the Web, it can last many months.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I'm not sure that lying about it is good in a marriage. 

I think we will probably agree to disagree here, but sometimes concealing the truth can be more beneficial for all parties involved.

I think being economical with the truth is much better than a cold turkey off the back of several very large cuts in 2018, or indeed breaking up.

Just my suggestion. 

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, eymen23 said:

I think we will probably agree to disagree here, but sometimes concealing the truth can be more beneficial for all parties involved.

I think being economical with the truth is much better than a cold turkey off the back of several very large cuts in 2018, or indeed breaking up.

Just my suggestion. 

I think other avenues should be tried first.

The thing with lying is if the truth is discovered it then puts doubt in the other person's mind about what else that person may have lied about.  It is very difficult to renew trust once it has been broken.  And it puts a lot of stress on the liar trying to prove themselves that they have only lied about that one thing, assuming that is the only lie.

There are ways around it, as long as things are worded carefully.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

@ChessieCat 

I definitely agree with you on the above. I don’t condone lying in ordinary circumstance. I guess I’m seeing it from the perspective of:

lying > cold turkey 

Sorry to hijack Dave. I hope you find a solution that works for both you and your family. 

• Administrator

DaveB, you need to get your relationship with your wife straightened out.

If I were you, I would not discuss every bump in the road of tapering with family members, making it the center of your relationship. You cannot blame them for getting tired of it.

You and your wife might go to a marriage counselor instead.

If you quit Paxil cold-turkey now, after all the time we've spent with you discussing tapering and withdrawal symptoms, you will be deliberating taking a huge risk, which you've failed before. We're not going to keep picking up Humpty Dumpty. In many cases, there's nothing we can do about a severe withdrawal reaction other than suggest reinstatement, which doesn't always work.

Good luck.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

18 hours ago, DaveB said:

Well she gave me an ultimatum, quit the Paxil or she is done with me. I guess I will be taking the plunge, can’t ruin my family. Hopefully I can make it work and cope while my brain figures it out. I don’t think I have any other choice at this point. To her credit, the Paxil has never helped at all in the year and change I have taken it, so why continue.

oh, boy, this is scary.

DaveB you are, literally, not thinking straight and your wife sounds poorly informed.

please, please read and re-read what Altostrata and ChessieCat have said.

and good luck, it's going to be hard no matter what. but cold turkey sounds like a really bad idea for everyone, your wife just doesn't understand that. please keep us updated, I am afraid for you.

🤗  < internet hugs 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

Well, Dave, all I can say is that you will not save your marriage by quitting Paxil.  It's terrible that your wife isn't aware of that, but if she is threatening to leave you now, I think you will have very little hope of avoiding that outcome after quitting Paxil.  

I'm worried you will lose your job and ability to support your kids, too.  I'm not sure how your wife plans to support herself if she separates from you, but I think you should keep taking Paxil and see what happens.  Even if she does separate from you at least you will be able to keep working.  You won't lose everything if you can keep paying for what your kids need.

You know I CT'd essentially.  It was a very, very fast taper.  I had to stop working.  In fact, I couldn't be alone for several months.  It was very risky for me to be alone because of SI plus I was so terrified that I didn't want to be alone.  There was a period of time when I couldn't sleep unless my husband was with me AND stayed awake to "protect me" from whatever terrifying thing I thought was going to hurt me or kill me.  

You have seen what dropping your dose did to you.  I've never heard you complain about DP, DR or SI.  I've always assumed you had none of those.  I'm pretty worried that you will if you quit Paxil.  You should seriously consider what might happen if you get into a situation like mine.  I still can't work.  It's hard to imagine that I will ever be able to again, but being absent from the workforce means getting a job now would be very difficult.  So, I feel that you need to think about the long term impact of what might happen.  

I say this with the best of intentions: I get the sense that you aren't able to think clearly about how much worse WD could get.  That's normal, I believe.  It's very hard to imagine worse!!  I know that to you it seems worse than you could ever imagine, but can you think of symptoms you haven't had?  Most of your physical symptoms haven't come back, right?  Are you dealing with SI at this point?  Maybe you could read about some possible symptoms others have had after a CT.  Check out the CT threads before you decide?

I am so very, very sorry that your wife is saying you have to CT.  That is truly awful.  She doesn't realize what she's saying or doing.  You have to protect both you and her and your kids from her lack of information, Dave.  You are the only one who can.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

Voice-of-the-Patient-Petition-Analysis-Report.pdf 

Patient Analysis with patient journey maps as researched and written by Dr Anne Guy, Scottish petitioner Marion Brown and Welsh petitioner Stevie Lewis.  This document provides a compelling picture of patient experience.

PE01651: Prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal

Calling on the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Government to take action to appropriately recognise and effectively support individuals affected and harmed by prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal.

This Scottish petition received submissions from around the world.  There are almost 300 submissions which have been made available to the public.  I have read about 50 of them.  They are concise case studies from both sufferers and medical professionals, maximum of 3 sides of A4.

Direct link to public submissions:  http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651

SA's Scottish Petition topic link

Thank you all for your support/advice/common sense. I won’t be doing a CT, I talked to my wife and I think she understands what a bad decision that would be at this point. My plan is to hold until June-July keeping everything exactly the same, and see where that puts me.

Sorry I was so slow to respond to all of you, I had a busy day skiing with my kids and then dinner and games with friends. I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of care/concern and advice. I really appreciate it all and all of you for being here for me!  

2008 - October 28th, 2016: Zoloft 50 - 150 mgs, settled on 50mgs from 2011 - 2016.

September 28th - November 7th: Paxil 20mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs (Also Testosterone Therapy started in June 2018 and ended in November 2018)

A REALLY tough day again today! I felt really good from about 11AM - 1PM, but then I have been dealing with intense anxiety ever sense. Have I permanently broken my nervous system with all the changes I have made? Eventually anxiety like this can’t keep it up, I mean won’t my body eventually give up on creating all the cortisol? I am feeling hopeless again. These waves are just unbearable!

Hi @DaveB. Sorry to hear you had a rough day. Those are never fun. I go in and out of them a lot myself. 

If you haven't already, or even if you have in the past, I'd try to listen to this YouTube talk by Claire Weekes: https://bit.ly/2G4d44bIt's a very encouraging one, especially when you're wondering if you'll every progress or see any light along this tough journey. I've been listening to this talk for the last week, and it has helped me tremendously. I'll definitely be revisiting if from time to time.

I'm rooting for you!

09/2011- 01/2014: 10mg Cipralex / 02/2014: increased to 15mg Cipralex

02/2014 - 10/2016: 15mg Cipralex / 11/2016: reduced to 12.5mg Cipralex (over 2 weeks)

12/2016: reduced to 10mg Cipralex (over 2 weeks) / 01/2017 - 09/2018: 10mg Cipralex

10/2018 - 11/2018: reduced gradually to 7.5mg Cipralex / 12/2018: found SA & first learned about the 10% taper method

2019: 6.9mg / 2020: 5.1mg (0.064-0.065) 06/01/21/2021: 4.8mg (0.061-0.062) / 06/01/21/2021-04/15/2022: 3.8mg (0.048) /

04/16-07-10/15/2022 : 2.8mg (0.036mg) / 10/15/2022-04/27/2023: 2.4mg (0.031mg) / 04/27/2023-06/05/2023: 2.4mg (0.030mg) / 06/05/2023- 11/04/2023: 1.7mg (0.022mg) - Extremely bad WD; UPDOSED 03/01/2023- 04/03/2023: 2.0mg (0.025mg); UPDOSED AGAIN 04/04/2023: 2.3mg (0.028-0.029mg)

Please Note: I am not a medical professional. Consult a knowledgeable

medical professional when making decisions about your medical care. 

Unfortunately it’s the nature of this beast.

All those changes do add up so you need to hold on for a good while yet.

I was originally hoping 3 or 4 months for myself to stabilise properly but I’m now thinking 12 months or longer as just can’t see it happening quicker with how slow and frustrating it has been so far.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

@ChessieCat @Altostrata

8AM - take 10mgs Paxil

8:30AM - wake to moderate anxiety, take multivitamins, fish oil, magnesium, vitamin D. 

8:30 - 11AM - pretty strong anxiety, not doing well. 

11AM - 1PM - anxiety almost shuts off completely, feeling so much better. 

1PM - 3PM - anxiety building, Getting pretty bad.

3PM - 9PM - Anxiety really bad, pretty much unbearable. Tried to watch Australian Open final and movie with my kids, felt awful!

9  - 11PM - Feeling better, But anxiety still hanging around.

11PM - 2.5mgs Zyprexa and bed.

Another really tough day, doubting recovery. Not sure what to do to be honest. Feels like at times I just get worse and worse.

• Moderator Emeritus

What to do is to hold.  

I'm glad you decided not to CT.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

2 hours ago, DaveB said:

Feels like at times I just get worse and worse.

whatever you are feeling, good or bad, is always temporary. you can't trust it to be "truth" - so in this case, that's a good thing! 

I'm glad you are not going CT, too. people here have lots of experience and they know. I took years and years getting off lexapro, not because I had the wise help from here but out of fear from when I tried to do it any other way, it felt horrible.

don't know why, but it looks like you weren't able to flag the mods so I will - they have a box around their screen names if it worked.

@Altostrata @ChessieCat

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

On 1/24/2019 at 5:02 PM, DaveB said:

@ChessieCat @Altostrata

7:30AM - 8:30 AM - finally up after a terrible night. Anxiety surprisingly quite mild. take multivitamins, fish oil, magnesium, vitamin d. Moderate to strong anxiety.

8:30 - 11AM - don’t have client meeting til the afternoon so try to lay down to get some sleep after bad night. Broken sleep, HIGH Anxiety.

11AM - Take Paxil 10MGs, Monster Energy drink, feeling much better

11AM - 1PM - Feeling much better, not normal, but manageable.

1PM - 3PM - anxiety building a little, still at manageable levels.

3PM - 5:45 - Anxiety ranging from mild to moderate, manageable.

5:45 - Moderate exercise

5:45 - 11PM - Feeling good, low anxiety if any.

Night I really felt great, finished the movie, and enjoyed the evening. Slept totally fine unlike the night before. Woke to pretty strong anxiety at 6:45 that became really strong by 8AM. Now 10AM and the anxiety has subsided, thank goodness cause it was really bad.

Overall yesterday wasn’t bad, I posted at my worst and I apologize for that, I probably need to make a rule not to post when feeling my worst. I just can’t talk to my wife about it, so this forum ends up being my sounding board and I am sorry for that.

You are correct about not saying it to your wife dave ,its much better to offload

On your thread,im in a good place now with never saying anything to the levels I used to ,god love my missus ,she heard every raw word ,thanfuly we both know this is my journey to make .

If your not posting at your worst then maybe get a journal and offload into that.make sure you dont offload it on to your wife .

Keep at it mate ,we simply have no other choice.

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, DaveB said:

@ChessieCat @Altostrata

8AM - take 10mgs Paxil

8:30AM - wake to moderate anxiety, take multivitamins, fish oil, magnesium, vitamin D. 

8:30 - 11AM - pretty strong anxiety, not doing well. 

11AM - 1PM - anxiety almost shuts off completely, feeling so much better. 

1PM - 3PM - anxiety building, Getting pretty bad.

3PM - 9PM - Anxiety really bad, pretty much unbearable. Tried to watch Australian Open final and movie with my kids, felt awful!

9  - 11PM - Feeling better, But anxiety still hanging around.

Another really tough day, doubting recovery. Not sure what to do to be honest. Feels like at times I just get worse and worse.

Did you go back to bed after taking 10mg Paxil at 8 a.m.?

Has your sleep pattern changed since you moved Paxil?

The symptoms 8:30-11 a.m. suggest an adverse reaction to something you took at 8:30.

Did we not discuss stopping multivitamins and vitamin D?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

28 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Did you go back to bed after taking 10mg Paxil at 8 a.m.?

Has your sleep pattern changed since you moved Paxil?

The symptoms 8:30-11 a.m. suggest an adverse reaction to something you took at 8:30.

Did we not discuss stopping multivitamins and vitamin D?

Yes, went back to sleep. Haven’t noticed any real difference in sleep pattern since changing the Paxil. 

We discussed it, but we also thought I may need more B vitamins because the Monster Drinks always help for a few hours. We decided not to change it as I was already changing things (moving Paxil, stopping ashwagandha).

@Altostrata @ChessieCat

6:30AM - wake to moderate anxiety. 

7: 30AM - take 10 mgs Paxil, take multivitamins, fish oil, magnesium, vitamin D. 

7:30 - 9:30 - meetings cancelled, try to sleep in car, anxiety mild to moderate. Was able to get some sleep.

10AM - loose stool, noticed I still have twitching in left eyebrow, been almost a month, hoping it isn’t TD from Zyprexa (is this how TD would even manifest?)

10AM - 7:30PM - Anxiety in waves from mild to moderate, not fun but not unbearable. I can manage this. Maybe decreasing in strength as we get closer to night.

7:30 - mild/moderate exercise

7:30 - 10PM - feeling good, little to no anxiety, almost normal. 

10PM - 2.5mgs Zyprexa and bed early due to a presentation I have to give at 7:30AM the next day.

If this was my normal days I could at least handle life, anxiety not out of control and at least manageable. The fact that these are my “good” days leave a lot to be desired.

Pretty tough morning so far, feels like it may just be a “grind it out” kind of day!

On January 25, 2019 at 2:06 PM, DaveB said:

Hey guys, do you really think I will stabilize given time doing what I am currently doing and that I can get back to normal? My wife thinks I just need to quit taking everything, “why would you keep taking something that doesn’t make you  better?” She thinks I should just quit taking meds and “see what’s you, and what is side effects.”

I'm curious, Dave.  When you say this are you sort of venting?  Such as saying: Isn't it ridiculous that I have to take something that doesn't appear to make anything better?  Isn't it absurd that there is such a drug being prescribed that can create a situation in which I have to take it or I will get worse, but getting better is a very long, slow process?!!  It is absurd.  It is absolutely preposterous.  

The fact that taking the drug doesn't fix the symptoms immediately goes against everything we lay people think we know about drug dependency.   I never thought about what happened to people who quit drugs or alcohol.  I always assumed they got better rather quickly, but that's not true at all.  I certainly never dreamed that quitting or reducing the dose could damage the operation  of the autonomic nervous system nor that it could be a long lasting condition despite the person returning to the drug.  What is happening to us happens to alcoholics all the time!!  It's well known amongst doctors.  The same is true for benzos and opioids.  I really "can't believe" this happened to me because I took a drug prescribed by a doctor for emotional issues.  How truly shocking.

I'm wondering what you believe?  Do you have moments when you are sure you are doing the right thing by holding?  

Do you ever actually believe you would get better more quickly if you CT or fast taper?  It's perfectly natural to believe that, unfortunately.  For most of our lives we have seen cause and effect work the way your wife expects it to work in this case.  I often wake up to another day in a state of panic once again for absolutely no "reason" and feel as if I'm living in an alternate universe where nothing is as it should be.  If I had not lived this I'm not sure I would believe it myself.   I'm so relieved that it is clearing up for me.  I believe completely that I will get well, and I believe the same is true for you.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

17 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

I'm wondering what you believe?  Do you have moments when you are sure you are doing the right thing by holding?  

Do you ever actually believe you would get better more quickly if you CT or fast taper?  It's perfectly natural to believe that, unfortunately.  For most of our lives we have seen cause and effect work the way your wife expects it to work in this case.  I often wake up to another day in a state of panic once again for absolutely no "reason" and feel as if I'm living in an alternate universe where nothing is as it should be.  If I had not lived this I'm not sure I would believe it myself.   I'm so relieved that it is clearing up for me.  I believe completely that I will get well, and I believe the same is true for you.

Rosetta, thanks for checking in, I always love your comments! I WANT to believe I will get better by holding, I feel like last Spring I was headed that way before I goofed it all up with testosterone and a fast taper. So I am really holding to that hope that it can happen, though feeling the way I do after two years of this certainly makes me doubt everything. I HOPE I will get better, but I guess my answer is up to this point I have very little evidence to point to to prove that hope to be true. That is why I often, far too often, have to rely on the hope and experiences of others on this site.

Today is a day where I certainly am doubting everything as I feel so terrible!

I feel similar especially when struggling. I always feel that while everyone else stabilises I will be the exception and it won’t happen to me and this is my new life or should I say my new existence. 

If if I was off the drug and felt like I do would probably be a lot more optimistic.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Yes, that's what you need.  Someone to confirm that you are on the right course over and over and over again.  We do need that. Eventually my husband started to say, "I don't know any longer."  That was very hard to hear.  SA helped me through that stage.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

35 minutes ago, Tom37 said:

I feel similar especially when struggling. I always feel that while everyone else stabilises I will be the exception and it won’t happen to me and this is my new life or should I say my new existence. 

If if I was off the drug and felt like I do would probably be a lot more optimistic.

Exactly how I feel, especially the last part. I would get it if I felt this crappy off of everything, but I still am taking TWO drugs and feel terrible. I think that is where my wife is confused as well. Like “you are taking two drugs for anxiety...you have terrible anxiety...why keep taking the two drugs, they obviously don’t help!”

I definitely get it.....but thats What being in stable unstable creates....RachelSusan took a good while before she felt fully stable even after her initial acute symptoms stopped and Nick took about 12 months before he felt good enough to say he was stable.  I know Gridley was about 4 months before he felt a lot better. Unfortunately everyone is different.

I could manage this a lot better if I KNEW it would end even if it’s 12 months I could handle it.

Those two cases give me a small bit of hope that I can get there too.

Edited by ChessieCat
made correction for member

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

Totally understand where you’re coming from Dave, it can be discouraging to be taking an ‘effective dose’ of a medication and feel so unstable.

However, at this point Dave it is the prior changes that are causing the suffering, much more so than the current drug or dose. 

I think this is what we find so difficult. If we think about how human beings are conditioned, we are designed to feel anxiety whenever there is a threat (real or perceived) to our survival. Hence feeling strong anxiety gives us the sense that something in our current environment is harming us. Naturally we blame the drug or the current dose, but sometimes it is everything we did up until now that is causing the suffering. 

For example, if you had taken 10mg of Paxil for the past 2 years, you would likely feel very different to if you had taken 40mg of Paxil for 2 years and rapidly reduced to 10mg. However, the emotional suffering suggests to us that something we’re currently doing is ‘wrong’ or harmful, hence the 10mg dose is to blame, not the rapid drop. 

Another example, if you put your hand in a flame and you burn it, you will suddenly feel intense physical pain which prompts you to remove yourself from the harmful situation, by withdrawing you hand. Imagine you then put your hand into a bucket of cold water. Your hand is still hurting (it’s burnt), but that doesn’t mean you need to take your hand out of the water because the water is harmful.... your hand is hurting because of what previously happened

Hope this makes sense. 

• Administrator

Is there caffeine in the Monster drink? Can you post a photo of the label here?

What is your sleep pattern? Do you wake up often at night?

Overall, how have your symptoms changed since you decreased from 20mg Paxil to 10mg November 7? Better, worse, about the same?

45 minutes ago, eymen23 said:

For example, if you had taken 10mg of Paxil for the past 2 years, you would likely feel very different to if you had taken 40mg of Paxil for 2 years and rapidly reduced to 10mg. However, the emotional suffering suggests to us that something we’re currently doing is ‘wrong’ or harmful, hence the 10mg dose is to blame, not the rapid drop. 

Another example, if you put your hand in a flame and you burn it, you will suddenly feel intense physical pain which prompts you to remove yourself from the harmful situation, by withdrawing you hand. Imagine you then put your hand into a bucket of cold water. Your hand is still hurting (it’s burnt), but that doesn’t mean you need to take your hand out of the water because the water is harmful.... your hand is hurting because of what previously happened

Hope this makes sense. 

Yes this actually does make sense. I gues now the question I wish I could have answered is, when does my hand stop burning!?! Haha.

31 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Is there caffeine in the Monster drink?

Yes, it is the Monster “Ultra Red” it has 140mgs of caffeine. 

31 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What is your sleep pattern? Do you wake up often at night?

Sleep is pretty good, I sometimes wake in the middle (2-4AM) of the night, when I do I feel relaxed and always go back to sleep. I usually wake anywhere from 5:30 - 7 with anxiety. Like somewhere a light switch flips and the anxiety gets turned on about that time of day.