Apathy, anhedonia, emotional numbness, emotional anesthesia

Neuroplastic

• Administrator

Manati, all of these questions have been answered before. Please read this topic from the beginning.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Manati Hi Manati, I know that you posted a question to Altostrata specifically, but I thought I would chime in as well. 

There are several of us that are part of a Facebook group called Marriages Destroyed by Antidepressants.  The group primarily consists of 1) people who themselves have experienced emotional anesthesia while on psychotropic medications, or while coming off of them, and 2) relatives, friends, family of people who have observed their loved ones while they experienced emotional anesthesia. 

Based on our experiences and analyzing patterns over time, we have seen several factors that impact the length of time a person experiences drug (or whithdrawal) - induced emotional anesthesia:

1. Length of time on a psychotropic medication (this is the BIGGEST factor)
  2. Dosage of medication
  3. If the person was bridged to other medications (the more medications, the more the brain is impaired by the drugs)
  4. How long was the taper (slow tapers tend to bring back connection to feelings vs. fast tapers or going cold turkey)

We have also observed that the feelings don't generally come back on like a light switch.  Regaining access to emotions is very much like the windows and waves of withdrawal.  There is an analogy of Christmas Lights that sometimes explains how the connections to feelings come back ...  

• Many of those that report their wake up describe a gradual change in feeling, in terms of being able to feel guilt, joy, have cravings for specific foods, enjoy music, want sex, etc.

• Think about a string of Christmas lights, with different colored bulbs, and each bulb glows bright and then fades really dim. This is what regaining connection to emotions is like. Each color represents a different feeling (like yellow=romantic love, purple=attachment to children, blue = sadness, orange = guilt, red = music enjoyment, green = sexual drive, etc). When those connections start to work again, some of those lights will glow brighter, and others will stay dim. The next day, some that were bright may dim a bit and yet others might grow a bit brighter. Like, they may want to listen to music and may want to spend time with the kids but have zero interest in looking their partner in the eye or even talking to them. The next day, they may not be able to listen to music at all and find zero joy in any music whatsoever (Musical Anhedonia), and just want to spend more time with the children, and the thought of sex may actually be the last thing in the world they ever want to do. Then a few days later, they may feel zero bond to their own children.

• Some of the lights may stay dim for months and only have moments of any brightness. We find that a lot with the romantic love, because those dopamine receptors have been so INCREDIBLY hijacked by the abundance of serotonin in the synaptic cleft.

• If people come off of the drugs, there is a good chance that those connections will repair. If they are bridged to another antidepressant or serotonin-enhancing drug, it will take longer for those connections to repair themselves.  

And to your original question, we do see that the biggest factor(s) that determine a length of time to regain those connections are both the length of time taking the drug, and the number of different medications that the person had been bridged to.  

Psychiatric drug-induced Chronic Brain Impairment (CBI): Implications for long-term treatment with psychiatric medication
          May 2018
  Boyfriend left me without warning after double-dosage increase in Lexapro (also taking Ambien). He was not planning it - made the decision in 5 minutes. 
          Jul 2018    Discovered truth about Antidepressant impact to relationships. Docs did not warn boyfriend or any family of these dangers.  I do not trust my meds.  Decided to stop my prescription meds. 
                             Tapered slower than docs instructed. Was not on ADs, but did NOT know that my migraine med was a psychiatric med - and I tapered too fast.

Sep 2018   Experienced "wake-up" - recognized it as something AD users experience when stopping meds.  Started experiencing withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstated low dose.  

Sep 2013  |  Topiramate 50 mg   Jun 2014  |  Phentermine 37.5 mg

Jul 2018   |  Topiramate 50 mg    |  Phentermine 19.0 mg

Aug 2018  |  Topiramate 25 mg   |  Phentermine 19.0 mg

Sept 2018 |  Topiramate   0 mg   |  Phentermine   0.0 mg

Sept 2018 |  Topiramate 25 mg   |  Phentermine 19.0 mg

Jan  2018 |  Topiramate 22 mg    |  Phentermine 37.5 mg                        Supplements: Omega 3, Magnesium L-Threonate, Probiotic

Dear WakeMeUp,

thank you so much for your kind and informative response!! Your observations are very interesting indeed (if also discouraging, since I have cold turkeyed after 18 years on medication! Is there even hope for me I wonder??). I think that many followers of this thread will profit from your answer.

8 minutes ago, WakeMeUp said:

@Manati Hi Manati, I know that you posted a question to Altostrata specifically, but I thought I would chime in as well. 

There are several of us that are part of a Facebook group called Marriages Destroyed by Antidepressants.  The group primarily consists of 1) people who themselves have experienced emotional anesthesia while on psychotropic medications, or while coming off of them, and 2) relatives, friends, family of people who have observed their loved ones while they experienced emotional anesthesia. 

Based on our experiences and analyzing patterns over time, we have seen several factors that impact the length of time a person experiences drug (or whithdrawal) - induced emotional anesthesia:

1. Length of time on a psychotropic medication (this is the BIGGEST factor)
  2. Dosage of medication
  3. If the person was bridged to other medications (the more medications, the more the brain is impaired by the drugs)
  4. How long was the taper (slow tapers tend to bring back connection to feelings vs. fast tapers or going cold turkey)

We have also observed that the feelings don't generally come back on like a light switch.  Regaining access to emotions is very much like the windows and waves of withdrawal.  There is an analogy of Christmas Lights that sometimes explains how the connections to feelings come back ...  

• Many of those that report their wake up describe a gradual change in feeling, in terms of being able to feel guilt, joy, have cravings for specific foods, enjoy music, want sex, etc.

• Think about a string of Christmas lights, with different colored bulbs, and each bulb glows bright and then fades really dim. This is what regaining connection to emotions is like. Each color represents a different feeling (like yellow=romantic love, purple=attachment to children, blue = sadness, orange = guilt, red = music enjoyment, green = sexual drive, etc). When those connections start to work again, some of those lights will glow brighter, and others will stay dim. The next day, some that were bright may dim a bit and yet others might grow a bit brighter. Like, they may want to listen to music and may want to spend time with the kids but have zero interest in looking their partner in the eye or even talking to them. The next day, they may not be able to listen to music at all and find zero joy in any music whatsoever (Musical Anhedonia), and just want to spend more time with the children, and the thought of sex may actually be the last thing in the world they ever want to do. Then a few days later, they may feel zero bond to their own children.

• Some of the lights may stay dim for months and only have moments of any brightness. We find that a lot with the romantic love, because those dopamine receptors have been so INCREDIBLY hijacked by the abundance of serotonin in the synaptic cleft.

• If people come off of the drugs, there is a good chance that those connections will repair. If they are bridged to another antidepressant or serotonin-enhancing drug, it will take longer for those connections to repair themselves.  

And to your original question, we do see that the biggest factor(s) that determine a length of time to regain those connections are both the length of time taking the drug, and the number of different medications that the person had been bridged to.  

Fluoxetine (Prozac) (25mg?) from December 2002 - November 2005 for anxiety/depression

Effexor (Venlafaxine) Retard (75mg) due to Panic attacks from November 2005 until around May 2020 when I started tapering off from 75mg to about 33mg in September. Accidentially missed a dose and naively went cold turkey from around 33mg to zero on 26th of September. Hell broke loose in early December.

25th December: Reinstated Venlafaxine with one bead (0.3/0.4mg) in the evening, proceeding with two beads (0.7/0.8mg)

since 5th January: 3 beads of Venlafaxine daily and nothing else except fish oil and magnesium. No changes in daily routine

15th January - 17th January: 4 beads of Venlafaxine

since 18th January: back to 3 beads of Venlafaxine due to extreme agitation, introduced Ashwaghanda supplement.

Since 23. January: introduced Lyrica to help with sleep/jerks keeping me awake: updosed from 4mg to 8mg.

Since February: 700mg Valerian and 2mg Melatonin for sleep

March: tapering Lyrica again due to side effects.

April: down to 2 beads of Venlafaxine

17th October: Off everything. Braindead, apathetic/anhedonic Zombie.

@Manati Yes, there is hope.  Please don't ever give up hope.  If we have learned anything at all, it's that the brain is extraordinary - it is engineered to heal itself, when it is allowed to.  That doesn't mean that it works 100% of the time, but it DOES gradually heal itself if you help provide it with the tools to heal.  We have seen a lot of people who have cold turkey'd off of the meds regain the connection to their feelings.  It's just that their road tends to be longer.  The posts that SA has on Symptoms and Self Care are incredible, and often link to other sources that are also incredible.  Nutrition, Rest, Hydration, Exercising as capable, Magnesium and Fish Oil, and focusing on the Vagus Nerve - all help the brain to heal itself.  Time and getting support is important in this healing process. 

Psychiatric drug-induced Chronic Brain Impairment (CBI): Implications for long-term treatment with psychiatric medication
          May 2018
  Boyfriend left me without warning after double-dosage increase in Lexapro (also taking Ambien). He was not planning it - made the decision in 5 minutes. 
          Jul 2018    Discovered truth about Antidepressant impact to relationships. Docs did not warn boyfriend or any family of these dangers.  I do not trust my meds.  Decided to stop my prescription meds. 
                             Tapered slower than docs instructed. Was not on ADs, but did NOT know that my migraine med was a psychiatric med - and I tapered too fast.

Sep 2018   Experienced "wake-up" - recognized it as something AD users experience when stopping meds.  Started experiencing withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstated low dose.  

Jan  2018 |  Topiramate 22 mg    |  Phentermine 37.5 mg                        Supplements: Omega 3, Magnesium L-Threonate, Probiotic

Thank you for your encouraging answer, WakeMeUp! May I ask how many members there are in your group? And from your research, do you have any explanation why this phenomenon occurs under such different/contradictive circumstances? (Drug intake, drug withdrawal, and adverse reaction to a drug)

1 minute ago, WakeMeUp said:

Yes, there is hope.  Please don't ever give up hope.  If we have learned anything at all, it's that the brain is extraordinary - it is engineered to heal itself, when it is allowed to.  That doesn't mean that it works 100% of the time, but it DOES gradually heal itself if you help provide it with the tools to heal.  We have seen a lot of people who have cold turkey'd off of the meds regain the connection to their feelings.  It's just that their road tends to be longer.  The posts that SA has on Symptoms and Self Care are incredible, and often link to other sources that are also incredible.  Nutrition, Rest, Hydration, Exercising as capable, Magnesium and Fish Oil, and focusing on the Vagus Nerve - all help the brain to heal itself.  Time and getting support is important in this healing process. 

Fluoxetine (Prozac) (25mg?) from December 2002 - November 2005 for anxiety/depression

Effexor (Venlafaxine) Retard (75mg) due to Panic attacks from November 2005 until around May 2020 when I started tapering off from 75mg to about 33mg in September. Accidentially missed a dose and naively went cold turkey from around 33mg to zero on 26th of September. Hell broke loose in early December.

25th December: Reinstated Venlafaxine with one bead (0.3/0.4mg) in the evening, proceeding with two beads (0.7/0.8mg)

since 5th January: 3 beads of Venlafaxine daily and nothing else except fish oil and magnesium. No changes in daily routine

since 18th January: back to 3 beads of Venlafaxine due to extreme agitation, introduced Ashwaghanda supplement.

Since 23. January: introduced Lyrica to help with sleep/jerks keeping me awake: updosed from 4mg to 8mg.

Sorry @Altostrata, I didn't mean to annoy. I have read through the topic and gained the impression that the cases following adverse drug reactions seem to be more persistent. That's why I started wondering if there are generally differences in healing patterns relating to the cause of the condition.

42 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Manati, all of these questions have been answered before. Please read this topic from the beginning.

• Administrator

No, they're not.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Manati There are 2500+ members in the Marriages Destroyed by Antidepressants.  There is a long history of other forums that also contained a lot of this information (Topix, Paxil Progress, and others), the studies and testimonials about this have been around since Prozac was first introduced.   

Per your question, the reason that all of this is happening is that antidepressants and other psychotropic medications actually create abnormal brain function (see Robert Whitaker).  I will see if I can summarize, it's a bit complex and I really encourage you to read other publications or watch videos if you want to see the details.  We always point back to the science and credible studies:

1. While Medicated:  In the non-medicated brain, much of our Serotonin is recycled over and over again.  Which means the brain doesn't have to make a ton of it in order to function, it just keeps using the same serotonin. While taking SSRIs or SNRIs, the serotonin recycling process has been impaired.  There is extra serotonin in the synaptic cleft, but this causes 2 different reactions in the brain that a) slows production of serotonin, and b) down-regulates the serotonin receptors.  This impairs the serotonin system.  When it is impaired, the brain is still very smart, and prioritizes where it's LIMITED ACTIVE serotonin can get to.  So it will make sure it goes to vital organs and systems over the ability to feel love or connection.
  2. Drug Withdrawal:  While in withdrawal, the recycling process is semi-functional again, but all of the serotonin in the synaptic cleft gets used up during the first days/weeks/months after coming off of the drugs.  Because there is some serotonin available right after discontinuing the medication, the serotonin system doesn't automatically switch back on to previous-medicated functioning.  So, at first, when people come off of the drug, they can feel pretty okay because there is still serotonin there available.  (and therefore people experience Protracted Withdrawal when that serotonin is used up). But, that is where the problem is.  It takes a long time for the brain to replace serotonin.   

In both cases, the brain is trying to get the serotonin to vital places, but because the serotonin system has been impaired, the serotonin that is available gets sent to vital areas of the body.  We see very very often that the emotional connection systems are sometimes the last to be healed, and there is a good reason for that.  The brain is very smart - Alive first, then connection.  

These are more credible sources that can really drill down into these details.  I will list some.  Definitely encourage the videos linked by Robert Whitaker and another by Grace E. Jackson.

Robert Whitaker: Psych Drugs Harm, a History - watch this to the end, and listen to how he explains this in the car analogy

Grace E. JacksonBuilding a Better Understanding of the Antidepressants - Can also look at this list of topics she discusses in the video (topics time-stamped). (List of Topics)
List of Publications and Studies: Scientific sources on how these drugs create emotional anesthesia

May 2018

Dear WakeMeUp, thank you so much, again, for taking the time and effort to provide such a detailed response! And thank you also for the literature attached, I'll start reading it straight away. Wow- there are so many links on that drive, thank you for sharing!

It's a puzzling phenomenon, isn't it, considering emotions are orchestrated by various brain areas yet ALL emotions are affected! That's why I was wondering if it the main reason for it is rather neurotransmitter- or receptor related. More than 2500 members - that's a big data set indeed. At the same time so tragic for each and every individual. Let's hope we'll all get out of this.

26 minutes ago, WakeMeUp said:

@Manati There are 2500+ members in the Marriages Destroyed by Antidepressants.  There is a long history of other forums that also contained a lot of this information (Topix, Paxil Progress, and others), the studies and testimonials about this have been around since Prozac was first introduced.   

Per your question, the reason that all of this is happening is that antidepressants and other psychotropic medications actually create abnormal brain function (see Robert Whitaker).  I will see if I can summarize, it's a bit complex and I really encourage you to read other publications or watch videos if you want to see the details.  We always point back to the science and credible studies:

1. While Medicated:  In the non-medicated brain, much of our Serotonin is recycled over and over again.  Which means the brain doesn't have to make a ton of it in order to function, it just keeps using the same serotonin. While taking SSRIs or SNRIs, the serotonin recycling process has been impaired.  There is extra serotonin in the synaptic cleft, but this causes 2 different reactions in the brain that a) slows production of serotonin, and b) down-regulates the serotonin receptors.  This impairs the serotonin system.  When it is impaired, the brain is still very smart, and prioritizes where it's LIMITED ACTIVE serotonin can get to.  So it will make sure it goes to vital organs and systems over the ability to feel love or connection.
  2. Drug Withdrawal:  While in withdrawal, the recycling process is semi-functional again, but all of the serotonin in the synaptic cleft gets used up during the first days/weeks/months after coming off of the drugs.  Because there is some serotonin available right after discontinuing the medication, the serotonin system doesn't automatically switch back on to previous-medicated functioning.  So, at first, when people come off of the drug, they can feel pretty okay because there is still serotonin there available.  (and therefore people experience Protracted Withdrawal when that serotonin is used up). But, that is where the problem is.  It takes a long time for the brain to replace serotonin.   

In both cases, the brain is trying to get the serotonin to vital places, but because the serotonin system has been impaired, the serotonin that is available gets sent to vital areas of the body.  We see very very often that the emotional connection systems are sometimes the last to be healed, and there is a good reason for that.  The brain is very smart - Alive first, then connection.  

These are more credible sources that can really drill down into these details.  I will list some.  Definitely encourage the videos linked by Robert Whitaker and another by Grace E. Jackson.

Robert Whitaker: Psych Drugs Harm, a History - watch this to the end, and listen to how he explains this in the car analogy

Grace E. JacksonBuilding a Better Understanding of the Antidepressants - Can also look at this list of topics she discusses in the video (topics time-stamped). (List of Topics)
List of Publications and Studies: Scientific sources on how these drugs create emotional anesthesia

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not sure how much longer I can hold out guys. My brain literally feels frozen, I have no bodily sensations anymore. How can I go on like this for possible years?? The complete avolition and loss of feeling have destroyed my life

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

14 hours ago, Nic123 said:

I’m not sure how much longer I can hold out guys. My brain literally feels frozen, I have no bodily sensations anymore. How can I go on like this for possible years?? The complete avolition and loss of feeling have destroyed my life

I'm not sure I have any amazing advice, I just noticed no one has replied and I feel for you. I guess just try your hardest to believe that your brain and body is healing and WILL get better. 

I noticed that your last taper was quite fast, is a tiny reinstatement possible if you're in an unbearable situation?

10 years on various anti-depressants

5 years Effexor xr

tappered of 150mg in 6 months

nothing for two weeks

Reinstated 15 beads for 50 days

Tappered off then clean 2-3months

gradually went back up to 13 mg 3 years

bridged fluoxetine 10mg

2 week tapper

1 year clean

reinstated 5ml dispersed fluroxatine for 6months

5 hours ago, SouthernFreeze said:

I'm not sure I have any amazing advice, I just noticed no one has replied and I feel for you. I guess just try your hardest to believe that your brain and body is healing and WILL get better. 

I noticed that your last taper was quite fast, is a tiny reinstatement possible if you're in an unbearable situation?

Thanks for the kind words, it’s so hard to convince myself I will get better and I won’t feel like this forever but in this state it feels like no other “being” is possible. I spoke to another person who suffered called violet and they experienced the same and said they fully recovered so that’s made me hopeful. 

there’s no way I’d ever take it again. I’m 6 months out and think that would make things worst for me. I thought I tapered correctly as I never experienced the common withdrawals like brain zaps etc. it was just after 2 months or so I was hit with these mental problems 

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

Hello @Nic123. I sympathize completely with you and I didn’t even stop taking the medication. I’m literally disgusted by myself for that too. Many times I thought about going to Ct. at least then I would absolutely not be functional. To suffer all day long ... without moving anything. I’ve never been like this and I don’t wear that, to put it mildly.

2023.01.27 1,6 mg 2023.01.29 1,5 mg 2023.02.27 1,35 mg 2023.03.30 1,2 mg 2023.04.18 1,1 mg 04,26 1,05 mg 2023.01.26 1,05 mg 2023.02.27 .27 .20. .21 0,8 mg 2023.07.14 0,65 mg 2023.08.20 0,45 mg 2023.09.20 0,25 mg 2023.11.14 000000000!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothings changed I realise that now. I’m starting to really consider the implications that I will have this permanently after reading numerous people’s accounts of suffering for 3+ years with no improvements. Every day I wake up feeling exactly the same day. No one day feels any different from the last. I know I can’t base my outcome from other people’s experience but it’s impossible not to. The loss of Emotions and blankness is absolutely debilitating and I’ve been contemplating suicide as the only logical outcome from all this. It does feel like game over for me unfortunately this is how my life turned out.

5 hours ago, Nic123 said:

Nothings changed I realise that now. I’m starting to really consider the implications that I will have this permanently after reading numerous people’s accounts of suffering for 3+ years with no improvements. Every day I wake up feeling exactly the same day. No one day feels any different from the last. I know I can’t base my outcome from other people’s experience but it’s impossible not to. The loss of Emotions and blankness is absolutely debilitating and I’ve been contemplating suicide as the only logical outcome from all this. It does feel like game over for me unfortunately this is how my life turned out.

3 or 4 years would feel like an eternity feeling like that, but it is still only a small portion of your life so I don't think suicide would be logical. I guess you have tried all the supplements, meditation and all that?

10 years on various anti-depressants

5 years Effexor xr

tappered of 150mg in 6 months

nothing for two weeks

Reinstated 15 beads for 50 days

Tappered off then clean 2-3months

gradually went back up to 13 mg 3 years

bridged fluoxetine 10mg

2 week tapper

1 year clean

reinstated 5ml dispersed fluroxatine for 6months

I have a symptoms question.  I hope this is the right place. While on the AD I had zero ability to feel strong connections to anyone. I only felt for my immediate family and dog. Dates never worked as I just never felt connected to anyone.  But I still laughed, and could find joy in my activities. I was never really drawn to or motivated to do anything though. It's been a few months post the ad and nothing much has changed in that regard. Except for I get alot sadder at sad things and am full of anxiety. How long does it take to begin to regain the connection emotions? And what do they even feel like?

???? To  early April 2021: citalopram 20mg. This was a about 12+years

April 2021: stopped taking citalopram 

6/10/2021 to 6/11/2021: started taking buspirone for anxiety . Got ringing in the ears and insomnia so I stopped

6/16/2021 reinstatement of citalopram at 10mg

8/12/2021: 4.5ml/9mg citalopram 10/11/21 4ml 11/15/21 3.5ml 12/28/2021: 3ml/6mg 1/28/2022 2.5ml/5mg  2mL/4mg 3/6/2022 1.5ml/3mg 4/12/2022  5/31/2022 1ml/2mg  7/31/2022 .5ml/1mg

9/3/2022: .4ml/.8mg citalopram. after a few days got some severe withdrawal so  .45ml/.9mg 9/8/2022 10/6/2022 1mg again .45ml/.9mg 12/9/2022

Same Same @Nic123, I'm 'feeling' with you (...). It's just so cruel.

On 6/13/2021 at 3:49 AM, Nic123 said:

@Nic123Hello. I totally feel how you feel. I have always been a social person. In fact, big. communicative. Now I feel like I have lost all my abilities. No one and nothing affects you. I really even feel like my parents are strangers. my ability to speak also disappeared. I simply have nothing to say. I struggle every day with suicidal thoughts but I couldn’t do it. Training alone is what catches my eye. 4-5 * 1.5 hours per week. it is thus not life. but hold on to my fellow man

2023.01.27 1,6 mg 2023.01.29 1,5 mg 2023.02.27 1,35 mg 2023.03.30 1,2 mg 2023.04.18 1,1 mg 04,26 1,05 mg 2023.01.26 1,05 mg 2023.02.27 .27 .20. .21 0,8 mg 2023.07.14 0,65 mg 2023.08.20 0,45 mg 2023.09.20 0,25 mg 2023.11.14 000000000!!!!!

@brassmonkey may I ask if, from your observations, emotional anesthesia induced by (failed or successful) reinstatements usually lifts right after tapering of the drug? Or does it persist for longer after that? Have you identified any typical pattern in that regard? Thank you!

@Manati-- Anhedonia or emotional blunting is one of the most common ADWD symptoms. It is quite harmless, but many people find it very upsetting. It does improve the further a person tapers and is usually resolved by the time they make the jump to "0". Here is an article I wrote about it:

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you so much @brassmonkey, for your comforting response. I'm just freaked out about those many people who suffer from this over many years, possibly permanently (?), after an adverse reaction or reinstatement...

I am almost 3 years drug free, and of course have a lot of issues like vision problems, and memory issues, I feel like I got stupid  but what bothers me most is that I cant feel any pleasure or happiness I tried to drink some shots just to see if I would feel better but nope. Any who has been there and got better? 

Started Venlafaxine around  2007-2008  for around 4,5-5 years 70mg

ca .2012  Taper as doctors advise 2 weeks skip a day and stop

7 -8 later months total breakdown after sruggling a lot Hospitalized

and started on Cipralex.

Taper as doctors advise: Mai 2018  from 20 to 10 mg escitalopram to zero in one Month.

supplements

Magnesium citrate 600 mg

Omega 3  2000 mg

vitamin D3 sometimes

I'm so sorry to hear that and I notice your last taper was ill-advised. Way too fast.

To answer your question I'm just over three years off Lexapro 10MG also tapered incorrectly on doctors advice. 

I'm in the same boat most of the time with an occasional episode of feeling a bit of normal. I still live in hope that's all we can do. Just keep pushing through and make the most of every day.

Ps I don't believe alcohol is the answer to anything 🙃

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

This is such a torturous journey. I feel for you both. I too am in the same boat nearly 31 months drug free. I also was tapered too quickly off Lexapro by a Dr. I’m in a terrible wave and consider reinstatement but like so many,  I’m frightened my symptoms will get worse rather than ease. 

Knowing I’m not the only one is a double edged sword. Of course I would not want anyone else to be suffering like this but knowing these symptoms can be considered ‘normal’ for my circumstances is definitely a comfort. 

Take care. They do say we will get better. We have to believe them. Hang on in there folks,  take it moment by moment. X

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

I am on the same boat. CT'ed citalopram(I know is not the exact same drug) 14 months ago, and thinking about reisntatement because of how bad I feel.

But they say you can turn the corner at any moment, so lets just keep on believing that is posible.

March 2019: 10mg Citalopram

April 2019: 20mg Citalopram

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

April 2020: Stopped taking Citalopram.

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so). 

• 4 weeks later...

I am on the same boat after 13 months free lexapro where i was feeling kind of good.

Now it's like hell and feels like permanent.

I am so scared.

06/2012 - 02/2015 CIPRALEX 10 mg (for somatic abdominal pain + reflux) - prior to this NOT any significant episode of anxiety/depression

on medication: emotional-sexual numbness, total inability to cry, +8 kg, fatigue -> abdominal pain gone

02/2015 - 1/04/2015 tapering from 10 mg to 0 mg doctor advised

05/05/2015 huge anxiety, burning skin sensation, panic, fear, not able to cry again, never-had-before insomnia, totally lost appetite, little loss of vision in one eye, sweating, chest pain, short breath, restlessness, accelerated heartbeat, mild akathisia legs-feet

30/05/2015 reinstated 8mg (I was suggested 5 mg here)

middle 07/2015 general improving

10/2015 start disastrous too long taper 7mg  11/2015 6mg  12/2015 5mg 1/2016 4mg  2/2016 4mg  3/2016 3mg ->FAIL back to 4mg .... 8/2016 3mg 8/2017 2mg  (short wave in summer '17) 8/2018 2mg stable  8/2019 1mg  1/2020 0.6 mg 

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

7/2020 - 10/2020 MILD WAVE(mostly anxiety, poor sleep)

6/2021 - 9/2021 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, deep depression, internal restlessness, anhedonia)  0.125g triazolam  2 times

18/03/2022 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, PAIN in muscles and nerves, arms and right leg,cannot exercise,hard to walk) 0.125g triazolam 3 times

7/5 rein 0.1mg

This boat is getting bigger!

Its now a month since I wrote the last thread and I’ve come out of the wave I was in on June 23rd. I have made the decision not to reinstate no matter how far out I am, getting any worse is too much of a gamble for me. Hang on in there Folks PAWS is tough but (today) I truely believe that we can all heal together in our boat. X

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

Many thanks for the answer.

Yes this boat of late >1yr crashes I also didn't expect it would have been big.

I also try not to reinstate (it's too much a gamble after this time). The wave started mid June. I have small windows but some syntmoms are persistent and this is something that destroys me.

Trying to hang on.

06/2012 - 02/2015 CIPRALEX 10 mg (for somatic abdominal pain + reflux) - prior to this NOT any significant episode of anxiety/depression

on medication: emotional-sexual numbness, total inability to cry, +8 kg, fatigue -> abdominal pain gone

05/05/2015 huge anxiety, burning skin sensation, panic, fear, not able to cry again, never-had-before insomnia, totally lost appetite, little loss of vision in one eye, sweating, chest pain, short breath, restlessness, accelerated heartbeat, mild akathisia legs-feet

10/2015 start disastrous too long taper 7mg  11/2015 6mg  12/2015 5mg 1/2016 4mg  2/2016 4mg  3/2016 3mg ->FAIL back to 4mg .... 8/2016 3mg 8/2017 2mg  (short wave in summer '17) 8/2018 2mg stable  8/2019 1mg  1/2020 0.6 mg 

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

6/2021 - 9/2021 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, deep depression, internal restlessness, anhedonia)  0.125g triazolam  2 times

18/03/2022 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, PAIN in muscles and nerves, arms and right leg,cannot exercise,hard to walk) 0.125g triazolam 3 times

7/5 rein 0.1mg

Of course I am just speculating. This escitalopram is so strong that it alters the brain so deep that these late very strong effect are more common. I don't know what to think anymore. Probably I am biased, it seems this molecule gives this more

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

7/5 rein 0.1mg

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone developed anhedonia/emotional anesthesia after a few months of being off meds?

I’ve had muffled emotions ever since my adverse reaction back in December, which I attributed to the DP/DR. The DP/DR has mostly remitted, but, in its place, I have transitioned to full blown anhedonia over the past few weeks.

A few months ago, despite my emotions being blunted, I was still able to cry, feel pleasure, had sexual urges, etc… Now I’m just completely blank. No emotions or desires whatsoever. My grandfather passed, and it didn’t even phase me. Even the simplest of pleasures do absolutely nothing for me now. I no longer feel anything from nicotine, but I paradoxically smoke more just out of sheer boredom.

Someone please tell me this is normal and that there’s a chance that I’ll be an actual human being again at some point.

12/23/20 - started fluoxetine 20mg/day

1/2/21 - adverse reaction symptoms appeared

1/5/21 - stopped fluoxetine CT

present - some symptoms have remitted, but most have remained

Symptoms that have fully remitted: phantosmia, burning/tingling sensations on skin, muscle spasms

Symptoms that have partially remitted: numbness, DP/DR, impaired coordination, panic attacks

Symptoms that are still present: mental and physical fatigue, cognitive impairment(memory, concentration, problem solving, executive function, etc…), visual snow/retinal after images, headaches, feeling hungover, anhedonia, aphasia, loss of emotions, confusion/disorientation, loss of appetite, exercise intolerance, sensitivity to light/sound/temperature, depression, anxiety, “nervous system overload” feeling, sexual dysfunction(remitted and relapsed)

On 8/22/2021 at 3:08 AM, GeoJeep said:

Has anyone developed anhedonia/emotional anesthesia after a few months of being off meds?

I’ve had muffled emotions ever since my adverse reaction back in December, which I attributed to the DP/DR. The DP/DR has mostly remitted, but, in its place, I have transitioned to full blown anhedonia over the past few weeks.

A few months ago, despite my emotions being blunted, I was still able to cry, feel pleasure, had sexual urges, etc… Now I’m just completely blank. No emotions or desires whatsoever. My grandfather passed, and it didn’t even phase me. Even the simplest of pleasures do absolutely nothing for me now. I no longer feel anything from nicotine, but I paradoxically smoke more just out of sheer boredom.

Someone please tell me this is normal and that there’s a chance that I’ll be an actual human being again at some point.

Hey, Just know you arent alone. Im going thought exactly the same thing. I'm now 8ish months off lexapro and "mind numbness" continues everyday. At one stage the anhedonia was so bad i was just staring at a wall completely blank inside. Although i still feel blank to a degree its not as bad as it was before. But i still just want to "feel" again. I dont really have emotions anymore, stress is probably the only thing i can slightly feel as a physical sensation.

On 1/13/2013 at 8:16 PM, Altostrata said:

I had intense free-floating anxiety.

What is free floating anxiety, that sounds horrible?

History of depression and anxiety. Symptoms of PTSD. 1998-1999 Venlafaxine 2006-2007 Prozac.2013-15 Sertraline 50mg. 2015 cross-tapered to citalopram 20mg. 2015-2021 Citalopram 20mg (brief increase to 30mg for 2/3 months in 2019. 01/2021 Dropped from 20mg to 10mg, back up to 20mg til June. 25/6/21 stopped CT. Started 50mg 5htp after a week without citalopram in the hope this would balance out my serotonin levels. After 3 days increased to 100mg 5htp. 11/7/21 Stopped 5htp with the intention of reinstating citalopram at 1mg. 16/7/21 Reinstated cit at 1mg. 2/8/21 Increased dose to 2mg. 28/11/21 10% reduction to 1.8mg.

8/12/21 2mg 6/1/22 1.8mg 10/2/22 1.6mg 13/5/22 1.5mg 4/6/22 1.55mg 4/7/22 1.4mg 4/8/22 1.25mg 1/11/22 1.1mg 3/3/23 1mg 18/4/23 0.9mg 2/6/23 0.8mg 4/10/23 0.7mg 11/11/23 jumped off @0.7mg started on 5htp 200mg -400mg, L-Theanine, and L-tyrosine 200mg. 25/11/23 came off 5-htp, l-tyrosine and l-Theanine. 24/12/23 went on 7.5mg mirtazapine. 27/12/23 stopped mirtazapine & reinstated citalopram @.35mg. 1/1/24 increased to 0.5mg. PTSD diagnosis October 2023. 11/11/23 started EMDR therapy for PTSD. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to taper off citalopram. Vegan, otherwise healthy lifestyle. Other medications; tapering off combined HRT. Other supplements; magnesium glycinate, vegan omega3. Completely OFF caffeine (since July 21). Finding it difficult to completely give up alcohol but haven’t had any since 25/12/23. Main symptoms; crushing depression, anhedonia/emotional anesthesia, irritability, rage, anxiety/fear, intrusive thoughts, cognitive fog, inability to focus, restlessness and some insomnia

On 8/21/2021 at 6:08 PM, GeoJeep said:

Just wanted to echo what Nic123 said and reassure you you're not alone. I've been gradually getting worse emotional anesthesia since I dropped from 20mg to 10mg citalopram in January this year and went off completely in June. I don't feel anything for anything or anyone. I guess we just have to do the best we can to get through it and trust that we will heal eventually.

History of depression and anxiety. Symptoms of PTSD. 1998-1999 Venlafaxine 2006-2007 Prozac.2013-15 Sertraline 50mg. 2015 cross-tapered to citalopram 20mg. 2015-2021 Citalopram 20mg (brief increase to 30mg for 2/3 months in 2019. 01/2021 Dropped from 20mg to 10mg, back up to 20mg til June. 25/6/21 stopped CT. Started 50mg 5htp after a week without citalopram in the hope this would balance out my serotonin levels. After 3 days increased to 100mg 5htp. 11/7/21 Stopped 5htp with the intention of reinstating citalopram at 1mg. 16/7/21 Reinstated cit at 1mg. 2/8/21 Increased dose to 2mg. 28/11/21 10% reduction to 1.8mg.

8/12/21 2mg 6/1/22 1.8mg 10/2/22 1.6mg 13/5/22 1.5mg 4/6/22 1.55mg 4/7/22 1.4mg 4/8/22 1.25mg 1/11/22 1.1mg 3/3/23 1mg 18/4/23 0.9mg 2/6/23 0.8mg 4/10/23 0.7mg 11/11/23 jumped off @0.7mg started on 5htp 200mg -400mg, L-Theanine, and L-tyrosine 200mg. 25/11/23 came off 5-htp, l-tyrosine and l-Theanine. 24/12/23 went on 7.5mg mirtazapine. 27/12/23 stopped mirtazapine & reinstated citalopram @.35mg. 1/1/24 increased to 0.5mg. PTSD diagnosis October 2023. 11/11/23 started EMDR therapy for PTSD. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to taper off citalopram. Vegan, otherwise healthy lifestyle. Other medications; tapering off combined HRT. Other supplements; magnesium glycinate, vegan omega3. Completely OFF caffeine (since July 21). Finding it difficult to completely give up alcohol but haven’t had any since 25/12/23. Main symptoms; crushing depression, anhedonia/emotional anesthesia, irritability, rage, anxiety/fear, intrusive thoughts, cognitive fog, inability to focus, restlessness and some insomnia

On 1/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, Snorky said:

I wish someone would comment on my species of anhedonia, particularly the agitation type mental tightness that prevents watching, listening and reading etc.

I’ve called it out as mental akathasia and keep waiting for it to become full blown paving around etc.

Thank you

I believe I suffer with this. I cant settle to anything and even if I can settle for 10-15 minutes to a task, I get no enjoyment from it. I think I can somewhat relate to the mental tightness analogy too. I find it hard to listen to anything other than the most relaxing ambient soundscapes and anything else is too overstimulating. I can watch TV but only if it's something easy like soaps or old favourites. Reading I can only manage for a few minutes before I get bored and have to move onto something else.....

On 4/2/2020 at 11:53 PM, gardenlady said:

My emotional anesthesia, anhedonia, fear, dread, doom continue to worsen the longer my slow taper goes on.  I am completely passive and mute with nothing to say to anyone.  I also am ashamed to admit that I have no love or compassion for anyone or anything and it's really scary and getting worse.  Just existing to get through each day alive is my one goal.  I'm unable to even hope.  Has anyone else felt like this and recovered? 

I can totally relate to this @gardenlady as this is basically my life at the moment. You're not alone. How are you at the moment?

@Nic123 @GeoJeep I really relate to everything you say about losing your sociability, ability to communicate, and feeling emotions in general… only piece of advice I can give is that the numbness seems to lift eventually… try not to see it as permanent. Within my waves I seem to have both waves of negative emotions and waves of numbness. I think the brain shuts down to protect itself from the pain at times. I will have periods where I cry and feel difficult emotions, followed by periods of numbness/irritability, and it’s easy to feel like I’ll be stuck in numbness forever in those moments. Eventually I’ll notice myself crying to a song on the radio or scene in a movie, etc. and even though they aren’t pleasant emotions, I feel relief that I’m feeling something again. I think the “good” emotions will come as the brain figures out its serotonin production/use again. 

• On meds since 2004. Previous medications: Adderall, Ritalin XR, Concerta, Adderall XR, Prozac, Effexor, Lexapro, Abilify.
  • March 2020 tapered off 100mg Zoloft by taking 50 mg every other day, then every 2nd day, then every 3rd day. March 2020 tapered Trazodone from 50mg to 25mg. April 2020 quit Vyvanse cold turkey
  • Stopped Zoloft completely by May of 2020
  • May 22, 2020 withdrawal nightmare set in; OCD symptoms
  • Mid July 2020 reinstated 12.5mg Zoloft
  • August 2020 began TMS treatments and reinstated Trazodone 100mg
  • September 2020 reduced Trazodone down to 50-75mg 
  • Between September- November 2020 tried twice unsuccessfully to quit Zoloft cold turkey
  • 11/12/20- 12.5mg Zoloft, 75mg Trazodone
  • 5/30/21- 5mg Zoloft, 15mg Trazodone
  • 7/2/21- 3mg Zoloft, 0mg Trazodone (both done with taper) 
  • 1/2/22- .05mg Zoloft (with taper over last 6 months)
  • 5/16/22- jumped off from .019mg (with taper over last 5 months)- med free!
  • December 2020- present - Neurofeedback 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy