Terry4949

• Moderator Emeritus
17 minutes ago, Terry4949 said:

i wondering about cutting out all histamine foods to see if that helps 

You might try an elimination diet.

Sometimes it is quicker to start with a restricted diet and then introduce a new food one at a time.

Many years ago, unrelated to ADs or WD, I had to do a food challenge and had to go on a restricted diet leading up to the challenges.  And it can be very hard to do.  But for me it was worth the effort.  I suggest that you look for online forums / support groups which might provide information and support whilst you go through this process.  Obviously they will probably not have much / any knowledge of ADWD but I think it would help to discuss your dietary situation and receive support and encouragement from people who understand how hard it can be to work out what food/s are causing issues.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

41 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

You might try an elimination diet.

Sometimes it is quicker to start with a restricted diet and then introduce a new food one at a time.

Many years ago, unrelated to ADs or WD, I had to do a food challenge and had to go on a restricted diet leading up to the challenges.  And it can be very hard to do.  But for me it was worth the effort.  I suggest that you look for online forums / support groups which might provide information and support whilst you go through this process.  Obviously they will probably not have much / any knowledge of ADWD but I think it would help to discuss your dietary situation and receive support and encouragement from people who understand how hard it can be to work out what food/s are causing issues.

Thank you for your reply I know after 1 tablet of mirtazapine my body was fried it was like a power surge that knocked me out in minutes and sent my cns into chaos maybe it is to do with histamine or maybe not and other foods are triggering it but the overwhelming feeling of chemicals flowing through my veins is awful so I will look into it 

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

Update 3 weeks into wave things have not improved severe symptoms and depression is so deep not had any relief trying to eat just healthy foods but have very little appetite I am still managing to crawl out for a walk but it is getting harder each time as I feel so unwell afterwards motivation is still very poor and sleep is 2 hours still a night and waking with awful cortisol and adrenaline bursts leaving me with feelings of burning all over all day 

• Moderator Emeritus

When we feel awful it is very easy to get stuck in the rut of only reporting the "bad stuff".  And this can become a habit.

It can be helpful to start including some of the "good stuff", however small.  It can help to get your focus off the internal and how bad you feel and start noticing more of the external.  I know for me sometimes the only good thing was that I managed to have a shower.  And wow, changing the sheets after 6-8 weeks, that was a big thing.  Or managing to get the grocery shopping done when my pantry was very empty, even if the groceries stayed in the bags on the kitchen floor for a while (except for the cold and frozen stuff).

Some members write a gratitude journal.  For some it is what they have managed to achieve.

Even though it feels like everything is bad, somewhere there will be a bit of good, but sometimes we need to make an effort to find it.  And sometimes it can be hard to find it but it's worth the effort because it can make a big difference to how we think and how we feel.  But it also takes time and practise and nobody can do it for you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

5 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

When we feel awful it is very easy to get stuck in the rut of only reporting the "bad stuff".  And this can become a habit.

It can be helpful to start including some of the "good stuff", however small.  It can help to get your focus off the internal and how bad you feel and start noticing more of the external.  I know for me sometimes the only good thing was that I managed to have a shower.  And wow, changing the sheets after 6-8 weeks, that was a big thing.  Or managing to get the grocery shopping done when my pantry was very empty, even if the groceries stayed in the bags on the kitchen floor for a while (except for the cold and frozen stuff).

Some members write a gratitude journal.  For some it is what they have managed to achieve.

Even though it feels like everything is bad, somewhere there will be a bit of good, but sometimes we need to make an effort to find it.  And sometimes it can be hard to find it but it's worth the effort because it can make a big difference to how we think and how we feel.  But it also takes time and practise and nobody can do it for you.

Thank you I am trying so hard just to remain positive I do try everything in my power to fight this and I try to find the positives even no matter how small the thing for me is the sleeping now is so bad with so much cortisol and adrenaline spikes as soon as I sleep I wake every 5 minutes it’s like I’m drowning in it then I spend so much of the day shaking and sweating and fatigued it’s going on 3 weeks now and I am virtually living on no sleep just full of cortisol and adrenaline so it makes it hard to see a positive 

I have been in protracted withdrawal now for 8 years and I can honestly say this is the worst that I have ever felt after over 5 years off all meds and not taking anything to be back at square one is destroying me as like you say I know it takes time and practise which I have given over the last 5 years and truly tried everything that I have learnt from this group the knowledge that is provided is truly remarkable and it’s somewhere where I can talk to people who truly understand what this horrific suffering is like especially for people like me who have suffered for years 

I thank you again for your reply and words of encouragement 

• Moderator Emeritus

Terry,

Please start posting about what different non drug coping skills you are trying and whether you think they might be helping in some way, however small.

Some examples of things that can help get your focus off yourself and your suffering:  I went outside and the sun felt warm, or I noticed that some birds were singing.  Or post about whether there are clouds in the sky or whether it is windy or still.  I'm in Australia and it is winter here.  Post about what the temperature is like where you are.  What about the garden, are the flowers blooming?

And also start posting about the what you have done or noticed that is not focused on how bad you are feeling.  For example, I had a shower and the cool/warm/hot water felt nice on my back.

It doesn't have to be major things.  Lots of little things add up.  Sometimes we have to make a concerted effort to notice them.

• Moderator Emeritus

Your new topic about windows and waves has been moved to the existing topic.  SA likes to keep similar information in one place so it is easier for members to find.

Before creating a new topic, please check to see if one already exists.

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/22/2022 at 8:08 AM, ChessieCat said:

Before creating a new topic, please check to see if one already exists.

As previously requested do a search to see if a topic already exist.  There are many existing topics on SA.

b-vitamins-or-b-vitamin-complex

So things are really tough the depression seems to have a hit rock bottom I am up at 4 am every morning and really struggle to do anything so this morning the sun came out so I decided to go for a walk round our near by lakes it takes me a hour to get round I was feeling rather unwell due to the autonomic dumping but I pushed myself it was a struggle but I got round when I got home I felt really low and tearful but pleased that I had made the effort I tried to take in the sun and how beautiful it all look but the apathy makes it hard to feel anything 

my son has come home today he has been away in the army it was nice to see him and I had to tell him that I was really suffering probably the worst ever in over 5 years which I found very difficult but found a sense of relief from doing it he was very understanding 

but I don’t like burdening him as he is away a lot and I don’t want to worry him 

I have been trying to eat a little today but I find my appetite is very low plus my mouth is so dry all the time 

I have been out in the garden as I have chickens and tried to do some work on there coup but found it very hard to concentrate and find any enjoyment but I stuck at it 

4 weeks ago I was a different man mentally I still had withdrawal symptoms but mentally I was so much better no trigger just appeared over night I tried a little magnesium yesterday and some fish oil to see if maybe I could tolerate them but I felt very ramped up last night on getting in bed I think the magnesium makes my skin burn and my temperature to over heat so supplements are still a no go 

I just have to find away through this dark depression and I’m sure I could get back to how I was 5 weeks ago 

• Mentor

@Terry4949 I am really impressed that you walked around the lakes.  Good for you. Do you think you will be able to do it again soon?

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

40 minutes ago, RachelSusan said:

@Terry4949 I am really impressed that you walked around the lakes.  Good for you. Do you think you will be able to do it again soon?

I will try again tomorrow it was hard even though I felt so depressed and it knocked me up it’s horrible just watching your life just go by when you know you should be enjoying it I must try harder to be a bit more positive but it is tough 

Hi, Terry,

I’m happy to see that you were feeling a lot better 5 weeks ago.  That is really good news!  Yes, you will get back to the state of being, undoubtedly!  

It is very demoralizing to fall back after feeling better.  That is one of the most difficult parts of this syndrome.  It’s almost as if it would be better to not feel better, but in reality, I think the windows are one of the things that helped me keep going.  They gave me hope that another would come.  Someday, the waves will be shallow and short, and the windows will be longer and much better.  When that happens there will be the odd wave that is deeper than usual, and, at that time, you will have to dig deep to find the strength to pass through it.  However, once you have, the window will be really good, and you will have even more hope for the future than ever before.  

I’m thinking of you and sending you good vibes to help you through this period.  Yes, I know, there’s no such thing, but it’s a nice thought, isn’t it?  Remember, we care about you, we are rooting for you, and we are all so impressed with how you have persevered thus far through what has been a really long road.  You have such strength, Terry!  You really do.  It make not seem that way right now, but it’s true.  

I’m glad you saw your son.  How nice.  The walk around the lake sounds lovely.  I hope you can go again and again.  Even if it’s not all that enjoyable, if you make it a habit, it will become familiar, and that familiarity will bring a sense of mild contentment.   That is actually an important part of healing.  Your mind will recognize the landmarks, the smells, the sounds, and you will feel a sort of peace from being in a place you are been many times.  There will be a relief to your misery from this recognition of a familiar place, however mild.

Take care,

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

@Terry4949

Well done, Terry! 

I feel so very proud of you and impressed with your hard work. 

I know how monumental these efforts can seem, sometimes it takes every last iota of strength to push through -- and you are doing it!

Good on you. Give yourself so much credit!!

6 hours ago, Terry4949 said:

So things are really tough the depression seems to have a hit rock bottom I am up at 4 am every morning and really struggle to do anything so this morning the sun came out so I decided to go for a walk round our near by lakes it takes me a hour to get round I was feeling rather unwell due to the autonomic dumping but I pushed myself it was a struggle but I got round when I got home I felt really low and tearful but pleased that I had made the effort I tried to take in the sun and how beautiful it all look

I have been out in the garden as I have chickens and tried to do some work on there coup but found it very hard to concentrate and find any enjoyment but I stuck at it 

I just have to find away through this dark depression and I’m sure I could get back to how I was 5 weeks ago 

Thank you very much for posting your update, Terry. I'm so pleased to read your news. 

It's very inspiring and also quite helpful to your fellow members, such as myself. 

Thank you for sharing, it is very encouraging. 

We are in this together <3

You are so very brave and strong, and you are doing a phenomenal job of getting through this. 

Keep walking, Terry! One foot in front of the other, one step at a time, one breath at a time, moment by moment, hour by hour. 

You are getting through the days and every day brings you that much closer to feeling better. 

The waves are temporary, the will pass. It gets better! It's already getting better.

Healing is happening all the time, even when we don't consciously feel it.

You're my hero <3

I'm giving you a standing ovation and sending healing vibes <3

A. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

I would like to thank you all Ariel Rosetta Rachelsusan for your kind words of encouragement sometimes it feels like you have spent a life time like this I never thought that after 5 years I would still feel so bad as if I stepped of the drugs yesterday but I have made it this far so can’t give up now many of my symptoms are physical like dystaunomia and adrenaline and cortisol mornings are horrific but I know eventually they will go away will try another walk today 

• Mentor

@Terry4949 I am so impressed that you are trying another walk today. Good for you. 

I know while in the middle of a wave it's almost impossible to believe the symptoms will go away.  But they do!!!!!!! You are proof of this.  You did it once before and you will do it again. Many of us here on this site are proof of it.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

This post is out of sure desperation now I am at 5 years and 5 months of all meds to be honest I am as far as I want to go now with this suffering the only med that ever helped me was venalaxafine until I hit tolerance no depression ever do you think even this far out would help me stabilise any I cannot do this any more the depression crushes me everyday I know I’m getting worse my wife has told me she has had enough she has stood by me for 30 years today she told me perhaps it would be better off if I was dead what with my endless suffering and hers I have been suffering for 8 years now physical conditions are bad but the endless pit of despair is crushing would reinstatement work I’m sorry if this is in the wrong thread 

3 hours ago, Terry4949 said:

This post is out of sure desperation now I am at 5 years and 5 months of all meds to be honest I am as far as I want to go now with this suffering the only med that ever helped me was venlafaxine until I hit tolerance no depression ever do you think even this far out would help me stabilise any I cannot do this any more the depression crushes me everyday I know I’m getting worse my wife has told me she has had enough she has stood by me for 30 years today she told me perhaps it would be better off if I was dead what with my endless suffering and hers I have been suffering for 8 years now physical conditions are bad but the endless pit of despair is crushing would reinstatement work I’m sorry if this is in the wrong thread 

Terry, so sorry to read your post! I can not give you any advice on reinstatement, but I can certainly relate to your comments. I am almost at one year from stopping my therapuetic dose of Trintellix (Brintellix in the UK). I reinstated in December a very TINY amount of 0.5mg per day (compared to 20mg originally). Most of my main physical issues are all gone now (insomnia, lack of appetite, dizziness, headaches) but as I improved physically I have confronted more psychological challenges than ever before. While my anxiety has mostly gone away, which I can not explain, the sudden and deep bouts of depression are very real and I agree that the despair can be horrible and crushing. I have tapered down maybe to 2/3rds of that reinstatement dose and I have no idea if it has any impact at all - good, bad or simply nothing. I hear similar comments from my spouse and it can really make things worse. It is horrible to think about the effect this has on our loved ones.

I think the only thing that works is eliminating or avoiding stressful situations. Each time I have a stressful event, it seems to fuel the flames of sadness, depression and fear. And like you, I was never depressed prior to taking these meds 20 years ago. And this is a horrible time in the world to practice stress avoidance! I also recommend meditation or simple, relaxing, breathing exercises. Beyond that, I believe that a full dose of Omega 3 and Vitamin D have been helpful.

Please hang in there and be good to yourself. I know the struggle is tough and wishing you the very best.

My Introduction thread

2002-2003 Celexa/Lexapro (first ride, very mild withdrawal). 2004-2012 Drug free
2013-2018 Cymbalta 60mg | 2019 Effexor 75mg - 150mg (can't recall specifics)
2020-Apr 2021 Trintellix 20mg | May-Jun 10mg | Jul-Aug 5mg (stopped Aug 12th, 2021)

WD symptoms began 4-6 weeks after last dose, increased severely at the 4 month mark
2021 Oct 9th Propranolol 10mg 2x/day (10am and 7pm) tapered to 5mg. Stopped 2/1/22.
Lorazepam (Ativan) 0.5-1mg as needed

Started a 0.5mg Trintellix reinstatement on 12/17/21 

Tapered to ~0.4mg and 0.3mg by end of May 2022

Stopped Caffeine 1/1/2022 and Nicotine on 4/1/2022.

Jan 19, 2022 - Added Vitamin D3 (2000iu), Super Omega-3 (2500mg) 

December 2022 - Finished taper of reinstatement dose around 0.09mg

41 minutes ago, YachtRock said:

Terry, so sorry to read your post! I can not give you any advice on reinstatement, but I can certainly relate to your comments. I am almost at one year from stopping my therapuetic dose of Trintellix (Brintellix in the UK). I reinstated in December a very TINY amount of 0.5mg per day (compared to 20mg originally). Most of my main physical issues are all gone now (insomnia, lack of appetite, dizziness, headaches) but as I improved physically I have confronted more psychological challenges than ever before. While my anxiety has mostly gone away, which I can not explain, the sudden and deep bouts of depression are very real and I agree that the despair can be horrible and crushing. I have tapered down maybe to 2/3rds of that reinstatement dose and I have no idea if it has any impact at all - good, bad or simply nothing. I hear similar comments from my spouse and it can really make things worse. It is horrible to think about the effect this has on our loved ones.

I think the only thing that works is eliminating or avoiding stressful situations. Each time I have a stressful event, it seems to fuel the flames of sadness, depression and fear. And like you, I was never depressed prior to taking these meds 20 years ago. And this is a horrible time in the world to practice stress avoidance! I also recommend meditation or simple, relaxing, breathing exercises. Beyond that, I believe that a full dose of Omega 3 and Vitamin D have been helpful.

Please hang in there and be good to yourself. I know the struggle is tough and wishing you the very best.

Thank you for your reply sadly I can’t take fish oil or vitamin d due to not being able to take any supplements  I have tried many relaxation tips plus meditation many of YouTube but I don’t seem to get much relief all supplements seem to either keep me awake all night or increase the severity of my depression I wish I could find something to just ease the suffering I wish you well 

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Terry4949 said:

I have tried many relaxation tips plus meditation many of YouTube but I don’t seem to get much relief

You might not actually feel any relief at the time or in the short term but doing relaxation and calming exercises and gentle exercising like walking or pilates, on a regular basis can help to reduce the impact of stress on your body (whether internal or external).

With the relaxation I think it is better to do short periods of it throughout the day, regardless of whether you feel you need to do it.  Think of it like an old fashioned kettle on stove, the sort with the whistle.  If you keep turning the heat on and off the whistle will never blow because the steam won't build up.  Relaxation techniques work in a similar way.

I feel I am sinking further and further down in this depression I can feel it in my stomach I have been trying so hard to fight it pushing myself by going out for walks even though it really makes me feel unwell I have spent the last two days doing meditation and listening to relaxation tapes but my mind is stuck in a awful gut feeling I’m so tired I know I have been off for 5/5 years now but I am really not seeing any light I’m getting sicker each day I know this a site for going of meds but I think I may have to try something just to see if it helps me so much suffering I was supposed to be going on a cruise in two weeks for 17 days and I had to cancel it due to being house bound apart from a walk 30 minutes I have zero energy keep trying to stay positive but the thoughts are so deep can’t get out of this and don’t know if I’m strong enough to keep going after so long sorry for the negativity I know people heal mostly 3-4 years but I will soon be 6 years off all and feel worse than I did when I first came off c/t I no meds are not the fix but I have to get out of this depression somehow 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, Terry4949 said:

I know people heal mostly 3-4 years

I think it took Alto about 11 years.  It was definitely at least 7, possibly for real improvement and 11 for complete recovery.  She cold turkeyed Paxil.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 minutes ago, Terry4949 said:

I was supposed to be going on a cruise in two weeks

Q:  How long ago was it that you decided to go on a cruise?

3 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  How long ago was it that you decided to go on a cruise?

My wife booked it a year and a half ago for her birthday I didn’t know she had even done it I think she thought that I would be in a better place by now to be honest 

3 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I think it took Alto about 11 years.  It was definitely at least 7, possibly for real improvement and 11 for complete recovery.  She cold turkeyed Paxil.

I have read alto,s story I know how much she went through and how long it took her to recover and I’m pleased she did a very remarkable women and so is anyone who can navigate through this but I don’t think alto had long depression the physical symptoms I can live with but the depression and apathy is crippling plus the dam headaches after 5 and a half years I’m just running out of fight I think 

Personally @Terry4949 I think going back on any of these meds is like jumping back on the merry go round. You’ll just set yourself up for going round in circles. Painful circles at that. and many more years of “if only” thoughts. 
I’ve read  of people on this site who have been med free for some years going back on the drug because they haven’t completely recovered yet and not all of their symptoms go and they start to get new ones too.  Sometimes the body reacts badly. You won’t be in control, whereas you are at the moment because you have choices. 
The only sure way of making a full recovery is to wait. 
You’re in a wave. Why not wait for it to subside and see how you feel then ? 

Making a decision's during a wave isn’t really your voice, it’s the voice of WD.  

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

@Terry4949

I am so familiar with the deliberations and ruminations about reinstatement. I think many of us know what it's like to be pummeled by a wave and wish desperately for relief. You are not alone in feeling like this journey can be unbearably hard. 

1 hour ago, Longroadhome said:

Making a decision's during a wave isn’t really your voice, it’s the voice of WD.  

@Longroadhome has said it perfectly. 

When we are in a wave, the wave tries to convince us of all sorts of untruths. The wave wants us to do all sorts of things.

We mustn't let the wave decide on our behalf.

Along with our higher awareness and our past experience of waves passing and windows arriving, we get to be in charge and call the shots.

1 hour ago, Longroadhome said:

I think going back on any of these meds is like jumping back on the merry go round. You’ll just set yourself up for going round in circles. Painful circles at that. and many more years of “if only” thoughts. 
I’ve read  of people on this site who have been med free for some years going back on the drug because they haven’t completely recovered yet and not all of their symptoms go and they start to get new ones too.  Sometimes the body reacts badly. You won’t be in control, whereas you are at the moment because you have choices. 
The only sure way of making a full recovery is to wait. 
You’re in a wave. Why not wait for it to subside and see how you feel then ? 

Longroadhome has said it best. I couldn't agree more. 

The wave is temporary. It will pass. 

You can do this, Terry. You've been working hard, making every effort, going for walks, practicing non-drug coping techniques. 

You have already experienced significant windows and healing. You have a proven track record of improvements. 

Just hang in there one moment at a time, one breath at a time, keep doing your best and you will make it through. 

You're doing such a great job. Keep walking, one foot in front of the other, one step at a time. 

As you already know, it gets better. 

Healing is happening all the time, even when we don't consciously feel it <3

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, Terry4949 said:

My wife booked it a year and a half ago for her birthday I didn’t know she had even done it I think she thought that I would be in a better place by now to be honest 

I'm wondering if your wave coincides with the cruise which is why I asked when you decided to go.  Your post about your wave was on 5th July. 

Can you remember back to the time leading up to this date, say from the beginning of May onwards?

When did you find out that you wife had booked the cruise?  I can imagine that she would be excited about it so was probably talking about it and making plans.  Could that be what has set this all off?

I'm wondering if your wave coincides with the cruise which is why I asked when you decided to go.  Your post about your wave was on 5th July. 

Can you remember back to the time leading up to this date, say from the beginning of May onwards?

When did you find out that you wife had booked the cruise?  I can imagine that she would be excited about it so was probably talking about it and making plans.  Could that be what has set this all off?

Personally I don’t think the cruise was anything to do with this wave I have known about it for over a year and a half 4 weeks ago I would have been able to go on it even look forward to a break a change of scenery 

I just woke up one morning feeling very fatigued thought I was coming down with something no trigger or anything then in the space of two days all symptoms returned early morning cortisol insomnia sweating burning skin then over the next few days crying deep depression apathy so deep loss of appetite and a unbelievable fatigue 7 days early I was functioning still in withdrawal but at a liveable level 

so personally I don’t think the cruise had any bearings I just wish I new what it was that has caused such a massive set back I appreciate you time taking to talk to me   

For over 3 years now I have had chronic sinusitis I first went to the doctors because my sinuses were causing me pain right behind the bridge of my nose it felt like someone was kneeling on my face to be honest I am now wondering if this maybe contributing to my physical symptoms 

for 3 years I have had pain behind my eyes and a constant headache my eyes are painful to touch I have a constant mucus running down my throat and a constant cough my eyes water all the time I have dizziness and when I wake from what sleep I get I feel very congested 

I can breath through my nose ok and don’t have a runny nose just constant mucus drip down my throat my head feels so stuffed and fuzzy which causes me to have almost constant blurred vision in fact my eye sight is rapidly diminishing and I feel very fatigued 

my doctor told me to use a nasal wash bottle which I did for a long while but found no relief in fact it made my nasal burn then I have been given two cortisol sprays that did nothing plus antibiotics which did nothing I am on a referral to the hospital but my appointment will take up to two years I have been waiting over a year now generally I feel rubbish 

I know this is a forum for going of antidepressants and not a site for medical complaints and I’m not asking for advice or help 

but maybe the constant infection is why I feel so bad making my withdrawal feel worse than it is do you think that maybe the long suffering on a daily basis has caused the chronic fatigue and bought on this severe bouts of depression maybe this is the trigger any thoughts 

• Moderator Emeritus

You might not be sleeping soundly.  This happened to me.  My husband was a snorer and even though I was sleeping I don't think I was getting good quality sleep.  I think this contributed to me not being able to cope with the life stressors that I was having to deal with and as a consequence I ended up on an AD.

19 minutes ago, Terry4949 said:

I have been given two cortisol sprays that did nothing plus antibiotics

Q:  When did you use/take these?  Both of these can worsen withdrawal symptoms.

Q:  Have you had a blood test done to check for deficiencies?

This is what happened to me recently.  I had been taking a Vit D supplement for about 12 years and hardly ever got sick.  I didn't have a Covid vaccination until the end of last year and haven't had Covid.  In May this year I stopped taking it my Vit D.  It is winter in Australia and I don't get outside much.  Three weeks after stopping the Vit D I caught a flu which I had for 4 weeks, I was nearly recovered then caught a head cold which I have now had for 2 weeks.  About 10 days ago I restarted my Vitamin D because I saw a video online by a reputable doctor saying that Vitamin D helps to boost the immune system.

Please note that I am just telling you what happened to me.  I cannot prove that what happened was the cause but the timing certainly fits.

Anyway, it might be worth looking into this.  I would suggest that you don't take a supplement unless you get a blood test proving that you are low in Vit D.  If you do start a supplement, only take a small amount to start to see how it affects you.  Only make only change at a time.  Vit D should be taken in the morning.  Some members find that Vit D affects their sleep. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Have you considered trying an elimination diet to see if there is a food, perhaps dairy, which is causing the issues? 

You might do some research on low carb / keto diet.  Some people have metabolic syndrome and don't realise that they have it.  I was diagnosed diabetic last year and managed to reverse it with low carb after only 3 months.  Different people seem to get various benefits from it.  Basically cutting out the processed foods and most grains.  The cravings for foods went within the first 1-2 weeks.

I didn't know if it was going to work but decided that it was worth trying.  And it did work.  The majority of people eat a lot of carbs which can cause insulin resistance.

I'm not saying that this will work for you but it might be worth trying.

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Have you considered trying an elimination diet to see if there is a food, perhaps dairy, which is causing the issues? 

You might do some research on low carb / keto diet.  Some people have metabolic syndrome and don't realise that they have it.  I was diagnosed diabetic last year and managed to reverse it with low carb after only 3 months.  Different people seem to get various benefits from it.  Basically cutting out the processed foods and most grains.  The cravings for foods went within the first 1-2 weeks.

I didn't know if it was going to work but decided that it was worth trying.  And it did work.  The majority of people eat a lot of carbs which can cause insulin resistance.

I'm not saying that this will work for you but it might be worth trying.

Thank you for your reply I don’t eat dairy or any grains I have been clear of sugar as well for a very long time and eat very low carbs my sinusitis started over 3 years ago from having a cold that never cleared up I’m sure it’s more to do with infected sinuses and blockage I have just read a symptom forum of a sinus specialist which list 

pain in the eyes 

headaches 

mucus running down the throat constant cough

fever plus chronic fatigue 

poor sleep it also said that left untreated could cause depression 

vision problems 

any 

thing over 3 months is classed as chronic I have been like this for 3 years constant 

makes me wonder if this is contributing to my problems 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've just checked your topic and found this post back in 2018 from Powerback.

I couldn't see any answer from you regarding mould.  He also mentioned other things which you might consider.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:54 PM, powerback said:

Gluten,sugar,soya,dairy ,trans fats ,smoking ,alcohol ,give up all these to see if you are now super sensitive ,your in enough torture to try anything ,this will need to be done for months .

Is there definitely no mould spours or toxins in the house ,all harsh cleaning products (bleach) get rid of them .

Wash with only soap (I do,I now never get a rash on my neck I had for Years),fait in nature is the brand I use.

25 minutes ago, Terry4949 said:

Thank you for your reply I don’t eat dairy or any grains I have been clear of sugar as well for a very long time and eat very low carbs my sinusitis started over 3 years ago from having a cold that never cleared up I’m sure it’s more to do with infected sinuses and blockage I have just read a symptom forum of a sinus specialist which list 

pain in the eyes 

headaches 

mucus running down the throat constant cough

fever plus chronic fatigue 

poor sleep it also said that left untreated could cause depression 

vision problems 

any 

thing over 3 months is classed as chronic I have been like this for 3 years constant 

makes me wonder if this is contributing to my problems 

Hi @Terry4949

looking at your symptoms I wonder if you don't have an allergy to something in your environment. I was diagnosed with chronic cough at some point until it was discovered that I was allergic to mold and the place where I lived had some. Does your sinusitis get better in different environments - i.e. better outside than inside? It may be worth investigating. Chronic sinusitis is also a real thing so I am not saying you don't have that but this one is treatable. And lots of allergies cause fatigue though if they caused fever it would be low grade and is not common. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

2 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I've just checked your topic and found this post back in 2018 from Powerback.

I couldn't see any answer from you regarding mould.  He also mentioned other things which you might consider.

No mould in the house and I am almost certain that I don’t come in contact with any I have not touched alcohol in over 20 years never liked it much anyway and have never smoked a cigarette in my life I did cut out all gluten for 6 months never felt any different if anything made me worse so I have tried a variety of things don’t even take supplements not even fish oil or magnesium both make me jittery and worsen depression I must have a bag with over 50 different supplements in and havnt been able to take one of them cost me a fortune the last one was seriphos tried a little to see if it would help the cortisol spikes the next day I couldn’t get of the couch I don’t want you to think that I am being awkward or not trying as I seem to be knocking back all these suggestions I am truly thankful for all you help and response but I have tried so much over the years with no relief so far 

9 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

Hi @Terry4949

looking at your symptoms I wonder if you don't have an allergy to something in your environment. I was diagnosed with chronic cough at some point until it was discovered that I was allergic to mold and the place where I lived had some. Does your sinusitis get better in different environments - i.e. better outside than inside? It may be worth investigating. Chronic sinusitis is also a real thing so I am not saying you don't have that but this one is treatable. And lots of allergies cause fatigue though if they caused fever it would be low grade and is not common. 

OMW

Thank you for your reply I don’t think it’s a allergy I have had it after getting a bad cold 3 years ago and it never cleared up my sinuses doesn’t get better in different environments I have had it constant for 3 years no let up not a single day of relief all day long I just keep bringing up or swelling a thick very white mucus always running down my throat and making me cough ,sorry about the graphics , all day every day I have always had a dry mouth that goes with it the thing is here in the uk trying to get a hospital appointment is a joke I was refer to the ENT clinic in may 2021 then I heard from them in October 2021 telling me my appointment will take 104 weeks that’s two years so I have another year to wait for a appointment I can’t afford private maybe I should see about a allergy test