12 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

amazingly, I did come out of it even better!!
I am so happy it's over

I hope your wave ends soon! that's a long time

has anything eased up at all?

Ow wow this is great to hear Happy!! It is such a unpredictable journey!!

Well last week the whole family got sick with Influenza. I was pretty sick with a high fever for a week. Before that some symptoms started easing up.

Now it is hard to say as I'm still recovering from influenza. Still coughing a lot and i'm really tired. Anxiety seems less though so i hope i'm true the worst of it.

I ordered the tapering strips i will be using to do the rest of the taper. From 5mg to 0mg in about 2 years if all goes to plan. I hope i can start my taper in the next coming months!!

In 2016 Paroxetine 20mg for 4 months then stopped more or less cold turkey -> waves and windows pattern i now know

Started 10mg Escitalopram 4 Mar 2022
From 10 to 20mg on 19 Apr 2022
From 20 to 15mg on 23 Jun 2022
From 15mg to 7,5mg on 5 Sept 2022 (I was supposed to drop from 15mg to 12,5mg but I accidentally used 5mg and half of 5mg pills instead of 10mg and half of 5mg pills, when I found out 2 weeks later I decided to keep to 7,5mg since most of the WD symptoms subsided by then, I now regret this. During this period I thought I also caught a stomach bug but after reading up here I think this was also WD symptoms) From 7,5mg to 5mg on 23 Sept 2022

Started Cross tapering Escitalopram 5mg to tapering strip brand from 26th of feb 2024 over one week and stabilised on 5mg untill 31 March 2024.

31 March 2024 started taper using tapering strips. 

Escitalopram 04/20/24 - 4,5mg (hold because of WD symptoms raming up), 

On 1/22/2024 at 7:12 PM, Happy2Heal said:

hi @Giuly88 thanks so much for stopping by and for your good wishes, much appreciated!

my wave is over, it ended in the Emergency room as I went into afib- I've had previous episodes over the past er 18 yrs or so, but they are very infrequent and very short. I had thought I'd never have another have, having blamed them on the lexapro and WD but  I guess maybe not, I don't know now.

I am back in normal rhythm now and just fine and the wave is over too

and I truly feel better than ever. So very happy about that

this is a long strange journey, isn't it?

we need to keep our focus on the good, otherwise it's very easy to get discouraged

I hope your memory continues to improve and that you end your journey in a good place for you

wishing you good health and fast healing

(Afib stands for atrial fibrillation (AF), which is a type of arrhythmia, or abnormal heartbeat. Afib is caused by extremely fast and irregular beats from the upper chambers of the heart (usually more than 400 beats per minute). A normal, healthy heartbeat involves a regular contraction of the heart muscle.)

Oh no H2H sorry to hear this. I’m pleased however that you were dismissed by the hospital and that you are now out of this horrendous wave. It means more healing has taken place.

I can’t believe what these poisons do to people causing atrocious lingering withdrawal symptoms this far out.

Hope you are feeling better 😊

💕💕

Started 10mg escitalopram March 2016 and stopped CT Feb 2017.

Started 10mg citalopram May 2019

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• Mentor
On 1/9/2024 at 6:15 PM, Happy2Heal said:

here we are, only 9 days in to the new year and I can honestly say it's been  LONG year so far!

because I have been working hard at trying to figure out what has been WRONG with me recently and now that I think I have it figured out

I can relax and just rest

Oh @Happy2Heal: I am with you. There was a cartoon in the NYer about how damn long January seems. Thanks for sharing this post. Another SA member asked me recently if it is possible my mental health suffers because I still have waves (it will be 7 years since CT and 4 since writing a Success Story. It is hard to tease out if it is "WD waves lite" or situational traumas, CPTSD, or a genetic mutation that makes it hard to synthesize happy chemicals. I suspect all of the above.

You've inspired me to drag out that "dusty toolbox." We are getting better though, as is everyone here. And usually it is much longer than we expect.

Edited by FarmGirlWorks
  • Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

@Happy2Heal

I've read that alot of people have problems with anti ageing products. I was ill for days after I used a face cream. 

2001 - 2015 variety of AD's, switches, CT's

2015 - 2020 Mirt 30 mg /45mg

Nov 2020 prozac, equivalent dose

Jan 2021 Mirt 15mg

June 2021 reduced, maybe to 10, reinstated mirt 15mg

Jan 22 - Jan 23 reduced to 5.3 

2017 - June 2023 occasional 2.5 mg nitrazepam and cocodomol 30/500

Until August 2023 herbal remedies/supps 

Inc echinacea,  fish oil, multi vitamins,  b complex, sage

Jan 2023 -current 5.3mg mirtazapine 

• Mentor
5 minutes ago, boohoo said:

@Happy2Heal

I've read that alot of people have problems with anti ageing products. I was ill for days after I used a face cream. 

sorry to hear that @boohoo

I was just looking up how many hours a day a mouse sleeps because I have pet mice and I was worried they were sleeping too much

and I found this nifty chart- It verifies what I have heard before, that we humans sleep less as we age. 

https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/chasleep.html

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• Mentor
On 1/27/2024 at 7:08 PM, FarmGirlWorks said:

You've inspired me to drag out that "dusty toolbox." We are getting better though, as is everyone here. And usually it is much longer than we expect.

yep that dusty toolbox!! I feel like I need to dust it off more often and use it... as I run into issues from time to time that would be easy to resolve if I just recalled that there are TOOLS for that!! hahaha

how quickly I have lapsed into laziness :P

I got some more test results and have discovered that I did not have any kind of mild stroke, as my neurologist had feared.

after seeing a few drs recently it occurs to me that DRS are more often a CAUSE of ppl having health anxiety when they never did before.

I can't tell you the number of times I've mentioned a symptom and had a dr exclaim with comments that OMG those are sighs of ______ (insert something serious) did you go to the ER? or why didn't you call me and make an appt/

In the ED with symptoms of a possible heart attack, you would think they'd be much more careful about alarming a pt, but NO, they were telling me all the ways I might die if I'd ignored my symptoms or didn't agree to their treatment suggestions

(I'd already heard that list and had verified that ALL of those things were exceedingly RARE and in my case specifically almost surely NOT a concern)

It aggravates me that Drs themselves do this stuff, making you doubt your own intuition and gut feelings about what is going on in your body and how serious,or NOT, it might be

I did have jaw and neck pain and that DID initially alarm me (I was in afib with rapid ventricular response, a very high heart rate) but as soon as I got the first dose of IV beta blocker and my heart rate came down a bit, that pain started to ease up

and then the first troponin test came in and it was clearly way too low to indicate ANY sort of heart issue but instead of telling me that, they freaking LIED and gave me the number without the reference range and walked away without answering me when I asked where that was on the range.

I don't know if drs are like this every where but I run into SO many drs who are such alarmists about things

I am far more worried about them doing UNNECESSARY things to me, than I am about them missing something important

that's my rant for today I guess

I was in the ED early in the month and I got the discharge summary and they have falsely said that my recent afib episode was "caused by medication non compliance"

I am pissed!!  three years ago I went to the ED for a possible afib episode but by the time I arrived, it was over. they sent me home with a weeks worth of a beta blocker to use til I saw my own cardiologist

one week's worth! over three years ago!

I called my own cardiologist who couldn't see me for a month but he advised me to stop the beta blocker (slowly) because in MY case, at least, a sudden drop in heart rate was just as likely to put me in afib as a sudden increase

I was not on any heart meds at all because I don't need them!

but this ED doc is writing that my afib episode was MY FAULT for not taking a drug I was not supposed to be taking!

I hate the word "compliance" when it comes to medical treatment, they should use the work SUGGESTIONS instead

because time and time again, their "orders" were not good ones and caused us harm

seriously pisses me off  GRRRRR!!!! lol

that's my rant for today! 

If you find yourself having health anxiety, don't beat yourself up, but ask yourself, where do you think that came from?esp if you never had any fears about your healthy growing up or before you saw too many drs

I swear, our medical system causes way more problems than it ever solves!!

ok now to gather up all that anger and upset and throw it far far away (this is a reference to a kid's show called Bluey)

have a good day everyone!!
I am getting a new mouse next weekend so I am happy and excited about that

also looking forward to a birthday get  together with my friends AND seeing the eye dr and getting new glasses that I desperately need!

remember our health is in our hands!  drs are there to serve us not the other way around

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

On 11/3/2018 at 10:32 AM, Happy2Heal said:

Mod note:  link to: Happy2Heal: Hope I'm doing this right (Introduction and update topic)

I was just an 18yr old,  a very confused, naive young woman, er no- more of a child, really-

when I was given (by force) my first psych drug, stelazine, a major tranquilizer. 

that was the beginning of a long series- spanning almost 40 yrs!- of psych drugs and hospitalizations.

All along the way, I was plastered with one diagnosis after another, or several heaped on at once.

My physical health went downhill and I ended up a virtual shut-in, living my life all in my head, friendless, socially isolated to the extreme, my only contact with drs and therapists, leaving my house to go food shopping maybe twice a month.

This wasn't living, and I knew it. But I didn't know how to change things. I didn't know what was wrong. 

I spent over two thirds of my life believing I was mentally ill and *needed* to be on those drugs.

but at some point, it occurred to me that the drugs might actually be the problem, or at least, part of the problem.

I knew I had to get off them. and I did. The process and the pain of that is reported on my thread, I don't care to go back over it, at least not now.

I learned a lot along the way, but for now, I don't want to think about where I've been, I only want to think about where I am now, and the life I have before me.

Here I am, now, one year off all drugs, of all kinds. I rarely even take a ibuprofen for a headache.

I want to write my success story, but I'm not 100% ready yet

However I do have to say that what I feel most of all, is a great deal of pride in having survived.

I suffered all forms of abuse as a child, emotional, sexual, physical, verbal, went on to be a survivor of rape, of domestic abuse. I was abused within the mental health system.  I've spent virtually all of my adult life in poverty, raising my daughter as a single mom on disability due to "mental illness".

But today, I feel as if I've done more than just survive; I am thriving. I have friends. I have a very active social life. I volunteer and I feel like the work I do is making a difference, having an impact.

while technically I am still 'poor' by income, I don't go without anything I need, with the possible exception of good dental care :P  

I have a good life. 

Is my withdrawal journey over? I'm not sure.While I took my last dose of lexapro over a year ago, I feel like I am still having some symptoms that must be related to the nearly 4 DECADES on psych meds. BUT you need to know, these symptoms are extremely mild.  and after that long on so many different drugs, it stands to reason that there will be minor little tweaks that my brain will need to make, for some time to come.

I'd like to say that all that has faded into the background of my life, but to be honest:

I am more vigilant about them now, than at any time during active withdrawal- because I don't want to fall into a trap of thinking that any problems I may have mean that all those doctors were right, I'm permanently disabled by a mental illness and there's no hope for me. 

I am pretty sure that the only thing I suffer from is PTSD, and I don't see that as a mental illness so much as a natural reaction to extremely stressful, traumatic life events.

so Today I feel Victorious. I've overcome a lot and need to soak in that feeling of doing a good job

I don't often give myself credit for my achievements or feel like it's ok to feel good about them

but today,  I give myself permission to bask in this feeling.

it feels like the right and honest thing to do. 

I guess I just have to be different, I don't want to call this a success story because that sounds to me like the end, when in fact it is not. It's not really a beginning, either, because the beginning of my new life dates back to when I first realized that the drugs were the problem.

to me, this just feels like a victory over adversity- something to celebrate! so please, celebrate with me, and know that you are going to heal as well, those of you still going thru WD/recovery.

it's worth it, believe me

so very worth it!

:)

I know you're probably not active on here but this was so lovely to read as it's sooo hard to find success stories here. I hope you're still doing well and are beyond proud of yourself 

• Mentor
On 2/2/2024 at 5:50 PM, howbxarre said:

know you're probably not active on here but this was so lovely to read as it's sooo hard to find success stories here. I hope you're still doing well and are beyond proud of yourself 

thank you so much
I really appreciate your kind words!

I am still around, I vowed that when I made it thru to the other side, I would try to do what I could to encourage others on this difficult journey. I know how much it meant to me to read the success stories when things were really rough! It gave me the strength to keep going, knowing it would all be over in time.

How are you doing? I see you are new, I will go and read your thread now

Welcome to the forum!

On 1/29/2024 at 6:18 AM, Happy2Heal said:

but this ED doc is writing that my afib episode was MY FAULT for not taking a drug I was not supposed to be taking!

OMG I don't blame you for being angry, I feel the same on your behalf. it's exhausting to feel like you can't trust most/all of the the system we are attempting to get our "healthcare" from! 

Glad to hear you will be getting a new mouse or already have. 😍

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

just stopping in to say I'll be too busy to stop in a for a bit, so if I don't respond right away, I'm sorry....

but

I am moving!!

and in the process of taking a good look at my life and at my future, I realized I've been a member here for over 9 yrs!!

The information, support, and advice I've gotten here has literally been life changing and probably saved my life.

I feel profound gratitude that Alto started this site and that so many kind and dedicated and knowledgeable and generous people are here continuing to do this important work

I still come back here when I am stuck and need to brush up on my non drug coping skills

:)

ok now back to my sorting and packing! I've got so much stuff I need to get rid of!! arggg!

• 3 weeks later...

moving is hard work but I hope to hear you got a place you like out of it and will be interested to hear if you are in the same town. But I do not come here often myself and also am happy to hear if you are too busy with Real Life to hang out here. that's really the ideal situation for any of us! 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor
Posted (edited)

Quick update:
I've moved and I LOVE my new apt! the people here are so nice, it's a very supportive community

I do miss my mice (I can't have pet rodents here) There are many times I am doing something and think of them, something as simple as an empty toilet paper roll because I saved mine for the rats or gerbils or mice. Eating corn on the cob, because rodents really love those! 

what I've been doing is feeling that twinge of sadness and then focusing on what it was that I was so fond of (the way the rats relished eating corn) and honestly the way that most animals live in the moment and seem to truly enjoy all that is good in their world,

and so I am re dedicating myself to focusing on THAT - on the way they live their lives.

Truly immersing myself in the joy and not holding onto sadness, regret, anger, etc. Just living in the moment and letting feelings come and go. 

But really appreciating the good times. 

I'm re learning how to see the world the way kids and animals do- like the place full of wonders that it truly is.

🌞:D

Also when I miss having pets, I think about all the care that I gave them and how it felt good to do that, but, honestly- I was spending too much money and giving them more care than I had time or energy to give myself.

So my current goal is to take the time and spend the money, on the things that I need! esp for my health. In that spirit, I got new eyeglasses and new shoes and will probably be getting a new knee (my right one is just a mess)

It does feel awkward putting myself first this way, I've always put others before me, but I am growing to like it.😆  It puts me in a much better mood and that leads me to be a more pleasant person to be around, so really it's not a totally selfish thing to do.

I'm starting to get into a bit of a routine and that is very good for my health too. I'm keeping better hours, sleeping better and eating better. I've got 5-8 lbs that I want to lose and I need to work on building back some muscle and I'm doing that gradually.

Spring has sprung here and the flowering trees are beautiful. 🌻 I have a great view out my windows. I am growing lettuce indoors and still have my community garden plot one town over (so lucky they allowed me to keep it)

I've got all my old hobbies, sewing and such and I'm just very happy. And very busy!

I will be back in a month or so to help around the forum but for now I need this time to settle in and get my bearings and  take care of some health concerns.

I hope everyone is doing well

Edited by Happy2Heal

Dear @Happy2Heal

It makes me very, very happy to read your update. Thank you so much for sharing this, what a gift!

You are amazing and a true inspiration. Sending you all my love and gratitude, and celebrating you!

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

It is good to read that you are settling in and tending to your health. Your name says it all. 

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.