Phoenixmama: cold turkey after 3 weeks on Celexa

Phoenixmama

No way, this happened to me the other day! I ate a vanilla bean Noosa, but ate the 8 oz size, and I had terrible symptoms afterward for hours. I thought an awful wave was coming, but the next morning I was OK.

I think this follows a histamine bucket model—I suspect histamine has something to do with my symptoms. I have been keeping a food journal and a symptoms log. I am lactose intolerant, so I usually only eat thoroughly cultured dairy, but I have been following a lower histamine diet for several weeks which excludes all cultured and aged foods. My symptoms have improved. But every once in a while, I tell myself it can’t possibly be cultured dairy, which I don’t even have lactose intolerance symptoms from. I read somewhere that cultured dairy has the proteins broken down smaller than uncultured dairy and it can more easily permeate your intestinal walls if you have a leaky gut. Also, the lower histamine thing I stumbled across when my husband had a horrible attack of vestibular migraine (migraine with vertigo and vomiting). I found a book called Heal Your Headache. In it, a neurologist who specializes in migraine advocates a diet that eliminates common triggers in our diets for three months, then has you carefully and systematically add them back in while keeping a detailed food journal. Cultured dairy, including yogurt, is on the list of foods you can’t eat on the migraine diet. But it’s the only kind I CAN eat (and I love my dairy).

I did cut it out. I made Thanksgiving dinner with migraine-safe recipes and included uncultured dairy. For my efforts, I had a truly terrible bout of lactose intolerance. Worse than any time, ever. What followed was three days of bad wave symptoms. So I am coming to terms with the fact that dairy is a no for me. And also no cultured foods for now. Even most probiotics are out, unless they were made with strains that do not cause a histamine increase in the body. If you’re curious, you can google histamine bucket and something should come up. The theory is we can handle a certain amount of histamine before we begin to have negative symptoms. In addition, people have different genetics that can contribute to the issue—I have two copies of a MTHFR genetic SNP that mean I am only able to use about 10-20% of the folate that I ingest. Good thing I like greens! But it also has a cascade effect on other bodily processes—including getting rid of histamine. So it builds up. And then I start to have symptoms. Rashes, acne, allergies, wave symptoms. I’m sure this was happening before my adverse reaction to Lexapro, but I was unaware of it. Now that I have wave symptoms triggered by it, I am willing to try watch what I eat to prevent it from happening. I don’t think I’ll have to do that my whole life, but for now I will. 

9/3/21-9/8/21--6 doses 2.5 mg escitalopram (adverse reaction)

9/9/21-9/16/21-5 doses .5 mg lorazepam

9/17/21-10/17/21-.25 mg clonazepam (used at bedtime 2-3x/week)

9/19/21-present-25 mg hydroxyzine (3x daily for anxiety)

MTHFR C667T homozygous mutation

COMT val/val homozygous mutation

Supplements: 300 mg magnesium glycinate, ProBiota HistaminX, SmartyPants women’s multi, .5 mg melatonin, starting trial of methylated B complex 

Hi.  Just dropping in to say that you will get through this.  Sometimes a wave comes along that is intense, but that’s because the change your brain has made triggered more intense symptoms.  It actually means you are healing just as every wave does.  We experience it as illness, but it’s not a sign that WD is getting worse for the long run.  The change in the brain disrupted the operation of the body, and we experience it as a negative thing, of course.  Everything will get back on track.

Have a wonderful Christmas with that 5 year old!

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

@deg1979 omg im so glad you commented on this issue , you have a lot of good info and im going to look into it , i was amazed at the anxiety i got from the yogurt that lasted for so long , im going to stay away from dairy for a while...

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

@Rosetta hi Setta im so happy you stopped by , and thank you for your beautiful words , they always put me back on track and give me strength to keep on moving forward..... Happy Holidays to you and your little/big girl too 🎄

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

I’m really feeling messed up I can’t even describe it feeling woozy , irritated, feeling like i have some progressive cancer that I’m unaware of , I wish I knew that it was just wd and soon pass , I look at my kids and wonder if I may die soon ? What will they do ? Who will take care of them as good as me… my daughter would be so heart broken and lost without me…. Is this wd???!!!! I’m so heart broken that I’ve put myself in this situation… all weekend I had no motivation to do anything because I don’t feel right , although on Friday I went on a date had dinner in a crowed restaurant with no worries , head and feelings were clear as day then Saturday it started with brain pain and sensations and an off feeling…. I don’t wanna die 😞 

currently taking mag

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Phoenixmama said:

although on Friday I went on a date had dinner in a crowed restaurant with no worries , head and feelings were clear as day then Saturday it started

You probably overstimulated you nervous system which has resulted in the worsening of symptoms.  This is NOT unusual.  We have members who have this happen if they overdo the exercise, or go out into bright light, or noisy shops.

It's good if you can pin point the reason why you are feeling like this because it helps you to realise that there IS a cause and it hasn't just come out of nowhere.  Try to relax and not get too stressed by what has happened and try not to overdo things for a little while so it will give your system the chance to recover.  This is a "get through hour by hour, or moment by moment" time.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

The only thing I can think of is I made a loaf of banana bread that I ate mostly all of on Friday , I keep getting feelings of dread and fear of dying then 30 mins later if I think about death I’m not scared and have confidence with the future and being alive , it’s been going on and off like this since yesterday… thanks for replying

currently taking mag

I even feel like weak , I’ve been in bed all day long just getting up to feed my little girl , wondering if my body is shutting down and will I wake up in the morning , I hate this I hate this negativity, I tried using my distractions but I just can’t do them , I wish I could 

currently taking mag

• Moderator Emeritus
31 minutes ago, Phoenixmama said:

The only thing I can think of is I made a loaf of banana bread that I ate mostly all of on Friday

Bananas are very high in carbs which the body turns into sugar.  And there was probably added sugar in the loaf too.

So it could very well be that which made things worse.

See:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1165-sugar-its-effect-on-mental-health-and-withdrawal/

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks , I’m reading other members story’s about how they feel after eating sugar and a lot carbs and it’s similar to how ive been feeling 🙀 but didn’t know how to describe it well , I feel sluggish , tired and just keep finding myself running sack to bed , almost like a hang over , and low mood , sensitive ears… I made three times the recipe for the bread , for one recipe is called for 2 cups of sugar (white & brown ) , so I used 6 cups plus 12 bananas 🤭 total… I want to say thank you for directing me to that topic , now I just can wait and ride this sugar wave out…. 

currently taking mag

• Moderator Emeritus

My reasoning was a combination of knowing that other members have had similar issues with sugar and the fact that I started a low carb way of eating 2 months ago, so I am familiar with which foods are high in carbs and that the body converts carbs to sugar.

1 hour ago, Phoenixmama said:

now I just can wait and ride this sugar wave out….

You, without actually realising it, did your own detective work and it was good that you mentioned the banana bread.  You made the connection but didn't understand the reason.

And yes, when we can put our finger on the cause it is a lot easier to ride it out and because we know why we are not as stressed about it.

So if your symptoms worsen again in the future, remember to look for possible non-withdrawal issues that might have contributed/caused the worsening of the symptoms.

@Rosetta Hi, I’m going through a really ruff patch… I’m constantly thinking of death , and it’s getting bad , not killing myself but just me dying or having no future , and other people dying…. I’m scared I’m going to go crazy over this , every little thing triggers it …. Have you ever felt this , I was doing so good now this …. Please help me 

currently taking mag

Hi @Pheonixmama,

I know you tagged Rosetta, but I wanted to chime in and let you know you are not alone in your feelings, I have felt that for several months, and I have read it on other peoples posts. It’s a tough one, I have finally had a BIT of reprieve from it today and it’s such a relief. 

Hang in there, I know it’s scary, but it will go away.

1998-2015 Zoloft. 100mg

2015 Straight switch to Wellbutrin by GP who claimed Zoloft stopped working; I was experiencing occasional brain zaps. 3 months later Wellbutrin  XR. Highly activating. Lost ability to sleep. Seroquel x3 nights. Horrible reaction. Straight switch back to Zoloft, began taper. Found SA  after tapering 25 mgs a week to 25mgs and began experiencing W/D.

6/21/19 5.05 mg; 9/6/19 4.8 mg; 4/24/20 4.57 mg; 8/27/21 4.43 mg

9/20-9/25/21 xover to new RX from expired meds

10/22/21 4.13 mg; 11/26/21 3.93 mg; 4/15/22 3.74 mg; 6/3/22 3.54 mg; 8/5/22 3.38; 9/30/22 3.19; 11/18/22 3.03; 12/30/22 2.88; 2/17/23 2.74; 3/24/23 2.60; 5/12/23 2.47;  6/23/23 2.35; 8/11/23 2.24; 9/15/23 2.13; 10/20/23 2.02; 11/24/23 1.92; 1/12/24 1.83; 2/17/24 1.72; 3/23/24 1.64

Supplements: Natural Calm magnesium, Vitamin C Vitamin D during winter.

Yes, that was a recurring thought, intrusive thought, for quite a while.  If a person has intrusive thoughts as a symptom, she might have a different thought, but I think that one is very common.  I know it’s really awful.  Hang in there.  All you can do is distract yourself by doing something else.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hi thank you thank you 🙏🏼 for the past two days it’s been like 30 mins normal 30 mins wave (death feelings) ugh I’m exhausted and feeling like I’m going to go crazy…. Living in a house with 7 family members and none of them not knowing what I’m going through , I don’t wanna feel sorry for myself but I’m tired and the wave is tuff and lasting long , and in a week my cycle will be starting and everything will go haywire , thanks for responding @Believer 💕

currently taking mag

@Rosetta thank you , I feel better knowing other people have it too and bed like me….. I will look for new distractions 💕💕💕

currently taking mag

Sorry to hear about your wave and your struggles with intrusive thoughts.  I’ve had my share of them and it’s not fun.  I’ve been using the techniques from the ‘anxious truth’ group on Facebook.  It seems to help.  I hope you get past this wave soon!  

2003-2006-  Zoloft then Wellbutrin, Ritalin, concerta , Adderall.  Don’t remember dosage, tapers or timeframes. ADD treatment. I think I had some WD?  Definitely PSSD which resolved over time. 

Zoloft  100 MG April18-april 22, 2020

Buspirone 20 mg from April 18-May 18

10 mg from May 18 - May 27 2020

Lexapro 5 mg from April 22 through May 1st

10 mg from May 1 through June 1

5 mg from June 1 though june 18

2.5 mg from June 18 through June 25

1.25 mg from June 25 through July 4 2020

Ambien -  2.5 mg  April 21 and 26 2020

Trazodone 50 mg-  3 times late April and 4 days the first week in June 2020

Supplements:  Melatonin .23 mg

@Fightinghard thanks I follow him on ig , I will be sure to look up the Facebook account too , I also have his book but haven’t read it yet ☀️

currently taking mag

@Fightinghard today and yesterday I’m doing better the wave has lifted and I can move further once again , have a blessed Sunday my friend 

currently taking mag

I have 20% of my hair left and it’s still shedding , I’m not bald but it’s my ponytail that’s shrinking , a friend of mine bought me some biotin gummy’s , and I’m so iffy about starting them but would love for my hair to grow 

currently taking mag

@Phoenixmama hi, was just looking at your thread.

I suffer with awful brain sensations and when they happen it's almost tied to a symptom :(

has yours improved?

brain sensation warriors 💞

Lexapro 10mg - 30th august 2021 - Adverse reaction

Amitriptyline - 10mg - 7th September - 30th sep 4 weeks

Amitriptyline 5mg -28th sep - 5th oct 

0mg ever since the 5th oct

12th oct - 1 amoxcillin and 2

metronidazole

Makes it 5 weeks 0mg so far

Hi @Lilmizz21 well I’m in a window , I think 🤔 

so now I don’t have them but when I do all I can think is I have some undiagnosed brain cancer or something… but when I’m in a window I know it’s a symptom from wd… I hope you feel better ❤️🩹 sending you light 🌞 and love ❤️ 

currently taking mag

Lol "I'm in a window I think"....sometimes it's hard to know isnt it. 

I have these sensations 24.7 but im only 3 months in. God I hope I get windows of relief without them.

Please enjoy your window lovely and keep going 💞

Lexapro 10mg - 30th august 2021 - Adverse reaction

Amitriptyline - 10mg - 7th September - 30th sep 4 weeks

Amitriptyline 5mg -28th sep - 5th oct 

0mg ever since the 5th oct

12th oct - 1 amoxcillin and 2

metronidazole

Makes it 5 weeks 0mg so far

Just stopping in on your thread to check in to see how you’re doing?

2003-2006-  Zoloft then Wellbutrin, Ritalin, concerta , Adderall.  Don’t remember dosage, tapers or timeframes. ADD treatment. I think I had some WD?  Definitely PSSD which resolved over time. 

Zoloft  100 MG April18-april 22, 2020

Buspirone 20 mg from April 18-May 18

10 mg from May 18 - May 27 2020

Lexapro 5 mg from April 22 through May 1st

10 mg from May 1 through June 1

5 mg from June 1 though june 18

2.5 mg from June 18 through June 25

1.25 mg from June 25 through July 4 2020

Ambien -  2.5 mg  April 21 and 26 2020

Trazodone 50 mg-  3 times late April and 4 days the first week in June 2020

Supplements:  Melatonin .23 mg

I’ve been doing good , I think I’ve been in a window 🌞 , and I’m on my cycle so I have a little low energy sometimes… had a sliver of peach pie and was so grateful for it… thank you so much for stopping by , you know how much it means to have someone come by and check on you 🌞

currently taking mag

10 months in wd….. 

currently taking mag

You are doing so well.  It’s good to see.  Ugh, I lost so much hair!! It was everywhere.  That finally stopped.  I think I lose the normal amount now.  I hope that little girl of your had a nice break from school, and that you had a good time together. - Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hi @Rosetta yes we did my boss gave me a couple of days off here and there , we love to sleep in together and be snug bugs ☺️ As she calls it , and lucky it was on those wavy days , not much going out lately trying to keep her safe and myself too from the new covid….  But much time just being silly and being in each other’s company 🥰💕❤️🩹 thanks for stopping by and happy holidays to you and your family 💕

currently taking mag

Thank you! 💕 

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

for the past couple days , ive been having cycle symptoms lol like a lot of bloating and cramping and achy legs and achy lower back....and im not due for my cycle to start till the 20th , but i am ovulating my fitbit says 

currently taking mag

Chest discomfort ( the feeling like my lungs are very inflated or something in my chest , ) weird sensations in my chest (like a fish swimming in and out my chest and organs ) I’m worried 😞 I’ve made a appointment with a different doctor then my gp which I haven’t seen in a year after she gave me those poison pills , I just want tests done to know if  I have something really bad going on in my chest or if it’s just wd 🙏🏼 Please let it be wd so I can keep pushing through 

currently taking mag

got a ekg yesterday and it was normal , next is a xray 

currently taking mag

• 3 weeks later...

11 months into wd…… 

currently taking mag

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in my 11th month of wd and i must report of a personal goal i have made , This past weekend i took my 5 year old on a mother daughter trip to Disneyland  , we flew out on friday evening and flew back home monday... 

I've have been ok feeling for the last past 2 months not 100 percent but i had many times were i forgot i was in withdraw and it has been nice , but four days before we went on our trip , a wave creeped in and i was nervous about going but low and behold that friday morning , it had passed... ❤️ We went to disneyland it was a very nice day and we got on 9 kiddie rides. we stayed a total of 6 hours and i was bracing myself for a nervous system reaction but the only thing that happen was a really bad headache that night which i think any parent would get lol by the morning it was gone.... i did all this with my cycle soon approaching 🥴 and today i started my cycle , im a little tired but nothing like 2 months ago.... 🤞🤞 always bracing for a new wave but enjoying my head above water 

currently taking mag

• 2 weeks later...

1 year today since my adverse reaction.........

currently taking mag

Hey.  Congrats on making it through!  It’s so nice to see you are doing well.  Disneyland!  Awesome!

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017