IWillHeal - amitriptyline withdrawal - weird brain sensations

IWillHeal

Hi , looking for some help with my situation. 

I started 10mg amitriptyline in May 2022 for a nerve pain problem at the back of my head. It worked for the pain I was experiencing but I wasn’t reacting well to the medication so came off cold turkey after  3 weeks. 

I then experienced what I was consider normal withdrawals for around 3 weeks eg palpitations, anxiety , flu like symptoms. However, in between this at the 2 week mark I had a stressful situation which set off a numbness in my head and for 2 months after this never went away and developed various brain sensations 24/7 that are honestly torture. To describe it as a headache would be downplaying it. It feels more deep embedded within my brain ... the doctors obviously just think I'm being a hypochondriac. During this time I have spiralled into depression and am a shell of who I once was as a consequence of the physical symptoms. 

Bit of background - prior to this would consider myself very stable with no mental health issues and have never felt anxiety or depression in my life. Also not on any other medication or take any supplements and live a pretty active/ healthy lifestyle.

I am confident that the brain numbness , pressure , weird sensations are as a consequence of the amitriptyline with it coinciding with the withdrawal.. obviously the stressful event did not help. Is this possible or I have I just coincidentally developed some form of chronic illness within my head. Really hopeful that it is not the latter. 

2 weeks ago I was really desperate so under the guidance of my doctor went back on amitriptyline. It has not changed anything at all and so now I want to know if I should come off and let my brain heal and what would be the best way to do this. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for me. Given that the amitriptyline has not worked should I come off (again) and what would be the best way to do this. Any suggestions on dealing with the horrible brain sensations welcome and if anyone has experienced this and healed would be really appreciated. 

Thanks a lot in advance- appreciate the help on here. 

Started amitriptyline 10mg May 4 2022

Came off amitriptyline 10mg June 8 2022

Started amitriptyline August 11mg 2022 

• IWillHeal changed the title to Amitriptyline withdrawal - weird brain sensations
  • ChessieCat changed the title to IWillHeal - amitriptyline withdrawal - weird brain sensations
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm sorry you had this bad experience with amitriptyline.  It sounds like you experienced an adverse reaction from the drug.  It was fine that you cold turkeyed, because you were only on it for 3 weeks, and your brain wouldn't have had a chance to become dependent on it.  However, your brain was destabilized from the adverse reaction, and that is probably what was causing your symptoms.  Unfortunately, it takes a long time (months) for a destabilized brain to recover.  This link will explain more about that: 

Adverse Reaction, How Long for Recovery

On 8/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, IWillHeal said:

I was experiencing but I wasn’t reacting well to the medication

What specific symptoms did you have while you were on the medication? 

Can you please put the information about the doses and dates of your amitriptyline in your signature box?  Thank you.  Just click on your name in the upper right corner of the screen, select account settings, and select signature.  Hit "save" when you are done typing it in.  

Recovery from an adverse reaction is pretty similar to that from withdrawal, so I will share with you these links: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

You may or may not experience ups and downs in your recovery: 

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

If it were me, I would stop taking the amitriptyline right away, and stay off of it.  Since you've only been on it 2.5 or so weeks, you are OK to go off cold turkey.  I agree, I believe the strange head symptoms you are having are probably from taking this drug and/or withdrawal, along with the stressful situation.  Stressful situations will exacerbate any type of withdrawal that we are in, because our central nervous systems are so sensitive.  

What you need is plenty of time, and natural, non drug self care.  Reduce stress wherever possible, get plenty of rest, eat healthy foods, definitely stay away from alcohol and other mind altering substances, get plenty of fluids, and take a gentle walk outside each day if you can.  Try to stay away from high drama and violent shows, movies and music, etc.  You get the idea.  Most of all be very patient.  It may take a long time for this to resolve itself, but it should in time.  Please let us know how you are doing. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Hi @getofflex 

thanks a lot for getting back to me and your time for doing so. I hope you are doing ok. I have updated my signature list. After checking dates I was on amitriptyline actually for a month but only took 21 tablets so I think I must have missed some every now and again. 

Whilst on amitriptyline the first time the symptoms I experienced 

chest pressure 

heart palpitations 

spaced out 

muscle aches

weird sensations in arms 

Lots of crying spells - in hindsight this might have been because I didn’t know what was going on and thought I was just on a ‘pain medicine’, 

after coming off - felt ok for 3 days then felt: 

chest pressure 

heart palpitations 

intense muscle aches 

headaches 

After 2 weeks

Started with head numbness and other head / Brain sensations which never left and in some form are always there which include 

head pressure

tight band around head 

a general unease deep within the brain

a block when concentrating

brain fog 

Severe depression 

Basically feeling like any task was super super difficult 

pure dread every morning

Spaced out 

These have all remained - 11 august when I went back on amitriptyline. 

After coming on back on the amitriptyline, pain I was having probably lessened once or twice actually had 2 days where I was somewhat ‘ok’ mentally despite having symptoms. I am more functional than I was a month ago in that I will do things eg showering etc does seem less of an effort than it did previously. 

As it stands from august 27 I have started to take amitriptyline every other day with the intention of then doing every 2 days every 3 and so on until I am off it. Do you think this is safer than cold turkey or am I doing more harm than good. 

Also just for some context- I am 23, previous very fit and healthy, have an extremely supportive family , have cut out all stressors ( work and relationship) completely cut out alcohol, I am trying to eat as healthy as possible. Are there any foods etc I should avoid / try to eat 

I know everyone here is going through hell but if anyone has experienced even somewhat of these weird brain/ head pain or sensations and they ever eased it would go a long way. The unrelenting torture with not even a second let up is very tough. I will fight and keeping doing it but I am struggling to find any stories of those with similar symptoms recovering which would give a little bit of hope. 

Thanks again for all the help - it really means a lot. 

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, IWillHeal said:

After checking dates I was on amitriptyline actually for a month but only took 21 tablets so I think I must have missed some every now and again. 

It's good you told me this, it puts a whole different spin on things.  I assume you talking above about the first time you were on amitriptyline, in May and June.  This explains why you have WD.  After being on the drug for over a month, your brain has probably developed a dependency on it.  And, skipping doses of antidepressants is very hard on the nervous system, too, and will tend to further destabilize the nervous system. You took 21 pills in 35 days, so you had quite a few missed doses.  Had I known this to begin with, I wouldn't have told you to go off cold turkey.   

Have you skipped or missed doses since you reinstated on August 11?  And when you reinstated on August 11, did you go back to your full dose of 10 mg?  Please put that dose amount in your signature.  

Whilst on amitriptyline the first time the symptoms I experienced 

chest pressure 

heart palpitations 

spaced out 

muscle aches

weird sensations in arms 

Lots of crying spells - in hindsight this might have been because I didn’t know what was going on and thought I was just on a ‘pain medicine’, 

This may have been an adverse reaction to it, or it may have been that you were skipping/missing doses.  

After 2 weeks

Started with head numbness and other head / Brain sensations which never left and in some form are always there which include 

head pressure

tight band around head 

a general unease deep within the brain

a block when concentrating

brain fog 

Severe depression 

Basically feeling like any task was super super difficult 

pure dread every morning

Spaced out 

These sounds like classic symptoms of withdrawal from psychiatric drugs, which amitriptyline is.  It's a shame your doctor gave you this for pain.  These drugs make changes to our brains, and thus our brains become dependent upon them, and this requires a very slow, long taper to come off of safely, once our brains are fully dependent upon them.  Please read this link, which explains more about this dependency: 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

As it stands from august 27 I have started to take amitriptyline every other day with the intention of then doing every 2 days every 3 and so on until I am off it. Do you think this is safer than cold turkey or am I doing more harm than good. 

Please do not do this! Skipping doses is like playing ping pong with your brain.  Here is what I suggest: 

On 10/26/2021 at 2:22 PM, brassmonkey said:

20 to 25% every two week in a linear fashion

What form does your drug come in - tablet, capsule or liquid?  Is it extended release?  Since you are on the cusp of being on this drug for a month, I suggest a fast taper of reducing by 25% every two weeks.  This link will explain more about measuring the various doses:  

Tips for Tapering Amitriptyline

You are going to have symptoms, and this is going to take a lot of time and patience.  Please check out the link above on non drug coping skills.  Please read this link, which explains why it takes lots of time for recovery, even if we've only been on the drug a short time.  

How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take, Factors Affecting Withdrawal

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Are there any foods etc I should avoid / try to eat 

I would avoid caffeine, B vitamins (stimulating), sugary foods, MSG, aspartame, and processed foods. I would stick with whole, healthy, natural and simple foods - meats, chicken, fish, whole grains, legumes, dairy, fruits and vegetables.  Please let us know how you are doing. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The unrelenting torture with not even a second let up is very tough. I will fight and keeping doing it but I am struggling to find any stories of those with similar symptoms recovering which would give a little bit of hope. 

There is plenty of hope for you!  You are very young, and were only on the drug a very short time, and not on any other psychotropic drugs.  I know it feels awful now, but if you will hang tough, and persevere, it will get better! I do understand how tough it is to feel this way, I've been in your shoes.  Things are so much better for me now, than they were when I was in early withdrawal.  You are in the acute phase now, but that will pass, and then you will have ups and downs (windows and waves), and gradually this will subside too.  

This link takes you to a list of links to success stories of people who healed and had experience being on amitriptyline.  Please read them, it really helps!  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=amitriptyline&type=forums_topic&nodes=28&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and&search_in=all

• Mentor

@IWillHeal

I agree, get off the drug.  The longer you are on it the more your brain will try to adapt to the drug.  You are young and your brain is young you should heal faster than a old poly drugged person like me LOL🌞

As I told you in our pm's I have had the most debilitating brain sensations.   Not many on SA seem to be able to relate to me.  95% of the time it's either buzzing, , buring ,freezing, crushing in, sizzling, tight knots, mostly in my forehead and feels like it's  sizzling and shrinking like a scab and I want to rip at it.  Now that being said, the intensity will very from extreme debilitating to mild.  As I am typing this my forehead is a knot that keeps tightening,  blunted thinking, my left side of my brain is has a tight sore spot, some tingling and electricity in my brain and if I move it it intensifies.  Bzzzzzzzzzz 

Please feel free to talk about them to me,  they are truly a lonely thing to experience.🌞

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

@getofflex sorry only tagging because of the tapering. I have missed 2 doses since I started the 10mg on the 11 August as this is what my doctor suggested. The dates I missed were 27 and 29 august. How long should I continue to take the 10mg before I reduce by 25% ? I am assuming I should take the 10mg again tonight? They are tablet form. 

thanks for all your help and suggestions, I’m a bit scared at the moment but I have the attitude that I will get better. The body achieves what the mind believes 😊

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, IWillHeal said:

@getofflex sorry only tagging because of the tapering. I have missed 2 doses since I started the 10mg on the 11 August as this is what my doctor suggested. The dates I missed were 27 and 29 august. How long should I continue to take the 10mg before I reduce by 25% ? I am assuming I should take the 10mg again tonight? They are tablet form.

I would start tapering now if I were you, before your brain has a chance to become fully dependent on them.  Please don't listen to your doctor if he/she tells you to miss doses - this is bad advice. You must do all you can to stop missing doses.  Please don't play ping pong with your brain.  See this: 

Never Skip Doses to Taper

I would go ahead and split your tablet into 4 equal size pieces.  Take 3 of these pieces tonight, and do this again every night the next 2 weeks.  After that, take 1/2 tablet for 2 weeks.  Then, take 1/4 tablet for two weeks, then stop.  

Good on you for having the optimistic attitude!  Yes, you will get better.  You have so much going for you.  Please hang in there.  This will get better.  Let us know how you are doing. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Read this, it should really help you with the depression that withdrawal has caused you. 

Steps for Managing WD Symptoms

Also, read the success stories.   Go to the home page, and they are just under the Introductions and Updates forum.  It really helps! 

• Moderator Emeritus

This in not the sustained release form of amitriptyline, is it?  

Edited by getofflex

@getofflex I don’t think so but I’m also not sure how you would know. How do I find out if it is the sustained release or not? It just says 10mg firm coated tablets

@getofflex I am from the uk so I think it is sustained release. What should I do tonight? Sorry for the urgency, just want to make the right decision that is the least dangerous. 

• Moderator Emeritus

No, I don't think it is sustained release, because the sustained release comes in 25 mg and 50 mg capsules, and yours is a 10 mg tablet.  

On 8/15/2011 at 9:20 PM, Altostrata said:

Sustained-release capsule dosages

In Europe, amitriptyline is available from Lundbeck as Saroten Retard (amitriptyline hydrochloride in a sustained release formulation) in 25mg and 50 mg capsules.

@getofflex hey , sorry to keep asking. It says on the package firm-coated amitriptyline hydrochloride. Does this mean it is sustained release and if so what should I do about this tonight as I don’t have access to any thing else. Thanks again 

• Administrator

Hello, @IWillHeal

It looks to me that you have immediate-release amitriptyline. You can cut it into quarters and take 3/4 as suggested. 

We hope you will feel more comfortable on a reduced dosage. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks both. I am going ahead with this approach and let you know how I get on 😊

@Greatful yes the brain sensations really are horrific. The only break I get is when I’m asleep … my head just feels off from the moment I wake up then will experience lots of difference things which change day to day. It’s very scary and I cry every day😞 do you think these will ever go away ? I’m really concerned because they were brought on whilst I was really stressed in WD and then the same day this really bad depression came on where I have no motivation to do anything (I was never like before the meds). What scares me is that I don’t tend to get windows where I have nothing just some days are better than others and  hurt a bit less but my symptoms are still there. Do you think this means they will last forever

Hope you are doing ok 

• 2 weeks later...

Please can someone help me. I have relentless head pain every single day. 24/7 non stop. Depersonalisation, depression.  I have lost every thing. I didn’t even have depression or anxiety , I went on this for pain. I’m so broken and I can’t go on like this for much longer. Everyone else gets windows and waves . I don’t.. I never ever feel ok like ever. I can’t see healing at all 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, IWillHeal said:

I have relentless head pain every single day. 24/7 non stop.

Are these new symptoms? When did they start?

How much amitriptyline are you taking now, at what times o'clock? 

Do you take any other drugs or drink alcohol? Do you have covid?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Alto 

please see into above where I explained when this came on. No these are not new symptoms. Came on 2 weeks after stopping amitriptyline the first time 3 months ago. 

I am on 5mg tapering as suggested. I take at 9pm every night. 

no drugs , no alcohol. No covid. no sugar. no dairy.  

clearly just very unlucky. 

thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

6 minutes ago, IWillHeal said:

I am on 5mg tapering as suggested.

Can you please add the "5 mg" to your drug signature, so we can see it with each of your posts, so the other staff can see what is going on at a glance?  Thank you. Also, can you please put the dates of each of your reductions since Agust 11 along with the dose?  This way, we can see your situation at a glance, and other staff can easily help you without having to read the whole thread.  Thanks. 

Have you missed any more doses since those missed doses in late August? 

Has this head pain gotten worse, better, or is it the same intensity as when you first posted on August 26?

How have you felt after each of your recent reductions?  Do the symptoms get significantly worse after a reduction? Do you feel your symptoms have improved before your next reduction?  

We need to try and figure out if this is withdrawal from the amitriptyline, or if it is an adverse reaction or possibly a combination of both. To see if there is an adverse reaction going on, please do a daily drug and symptoms journal.  Keep track of taking your drug, symptoms, eating, sleeping, etc.  Write the time on the left, and describe the event on the right.  Pay attention especially to how you feel before, and then after, you take your drug.  Please do this for 24 hours, and post an entry in here for each 24 hour period.  Here is an example: 

6 AM woke with anxiety

8 am took 2.5 mg lexapro

10 am stomach is upset

10:30 am ate breakfast

11:35 am got a headache, lasted one hour

12:35 ate lunch

4 pm feel a bit better

5 pm took 2.5 mg lexapro

6 pm ate dinner

9:20 pm headache 

10:00 pm took 50 mg Seroquel

10:30 pm feeling dizzy

10:30 pm fell asleep 

2:30 am woke, took 3 mg Ambien

2:45 am fell asleep

4:30 am woke, but got back to sleep 

Sorry I didn’t not mean to come across a rude in my last post, I really appreciate all the help. I thought it would just be easier since is quite a long story. 

I’ll add to my signature. I have not missed any doses - trying to stay as consistent as possible. 

The head pain fluctuates daily so I can’t say it gets worse / better . For example today it feels as though someone is pulling is string in the middle of my face to my head . It’s very internal. Sometimes it will be head pressure. Sometimes it will be like there is a knife in my head and others I feel numbness. 

It is like a daily top of torture every day. 

I’ll make a diary note of what’s going on tomorrow. 

I’m not an excessively anxious person but 3 months of persistent head feeling some weird sensation is so so hard. I’m finding myself in a very dark place. The persistency of it makes me think it’s permanent damage. 

im so so so scared , heart broken in fact and I have no idea what to do. I have very dark thoughts now. I am not typically a person to complain. 

please if any one had this and it went away 😞

• Mentor

@IWillHeal  I know how scary these awful head sensations are......It will get better...Slowly....It is amazing how much these drugs mess with our brains...

Depression is a very trying emotion.  It can lead to hopeless thinking.  Try to let it be and know that it will pass... Remember your brain is not functioning right at this time, so your thoughts can be scary and morphed.... They are just thoughts nothing more.  

Just remember every single day you are healing. Even if it's just 3 or 4 neurons that got healed, that's 3 or 4 that never have to be healed again :) Always focus on the positive. Don't let the negative grab ahold of you.

No matter what the day has in store for you, try to face it with courage and bravery even though you are terrified inside!! 

These were sent to me for encouragement, I am passing them on to you.  print them out if you can.

When withdrawal anxiety is high and I am in 'fight' or 'flight'

or 'freeze' mode, it is difficult for me to be grounded and to

maintain perspective. I lose sight of the fact that this

experience is temporary and that it is leading me to my long-

awaited recovery. I am consumed with what is happening

and it can make me seem self-absorbed and uninterested in

my loved ones. This is understandable, as I spend all my time and energy

managing the bizarre symptoms, breathing through the pain,

and holding on for dear life. I miss important moments in

the lives of those around me and I also overlook just how

courageous and persevering I have been and continue to be.

So today, I acknowledge my strength and I accept that while

I may spend much of my time consumed with coping, this

does not mean that I am self-centered or selfish. I am just

hypervigilant in the context of being constantly aware of my

symptoms, and of my environment, always looking for

perceived threats. I know that I will revert to normal when

this is over. am compassionate and gentle with myself, in the

meantime, knowing that no matter how intense and

overwhelming my symptoms are, I will cope well. I trust that

eventually I will begin to notice improvements and when the

timing is right for me, this challenge will end with my

recovery.

Don't give up on your healing. I know it's difficult to remain hopeful because everyday you struggle with the torture of the intense and bizarre symptoms and it seems as if nothing is changing. So I am here to be the rational, "non-withdrawal" voice in your head and to remind you of the reality : that no matter how long it is taking, this challenge is temporary. One day you will wake up and something will be different. It will be more than a "window", it will be the long-awaited break, the last lap, the finishing line in view.

Then it will be over, and you will be able to navigate your way out from under the rubble, brush yourself off, pick up the pieces and get on with your life.

What awaits you on the other side is worth you holding on for. Nothing in life will ever again faze you. You will have a different perspective on life, and it won't take much to make you feel content. 

This is scary but you can do it🤗

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• Moderator Emeritus

This may help:

Steps for Managing WD Symptoms

Edited by getofflex

• Moderator Emeritus
52 minutes ago, getofflex said:

How have you felt after each of your recent reductions?  Do the symptoms get significantly worse after a reduction? Do you feel your symptoms have improved before your next reduction?  

I’ve kept a journal throughout. Every time I make a reduction the day after I have a good day and then it seems to all go down hill again. Note that good day isn’t symptom free - still something off but not as horrific (basically means I manage the day without crying). 

I really don’t feel present a lot of the time , it’s such a bizarre feeling to me. 

I’m terrified to be completely honest. This is honestly my worst nightmare. I hate feeling as though I’m not in control of my own body. 

Do you think recovery is possible ? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you feel at least somewhat better before your next reduction?  

I really don’t feel present a lot of the time , it’s such a bizarre feeling to me. 

This sounds to me like derealization/depersonalization, or DP/DR.  It's a very common symptom of WD, and will resolve sooner or later.  I had this a lot, and it is very mild by now, and only on bad days.  It is unsettling to feel this way, so I understand.  

DP/DR

I’m terrified to be completely honest. This is honestly my worst nightmare. I hate feeling as though I’m not in control of my own body. 

I'm sorry you are going through this.  Yes, it is terrifying.  Please realize that many, many of us on this board have been and are going through the same thing you are going through.  perhaps you could go visit some other threads on the Intro and Updates forum, and buddy up with someone.  You are right, we are not in control of our own body because the drug has hijacked us.  However, as we get off the drug, it will lose it's power, and we will not longer be under it's control.  Please read the link above "Steps for Managing WD" to help you feel less terrified.  Also, try reading the success stories!  They are super helpful, and will give you hope.  Here are some for amitriptyline.  

Santino: Made It and Stayed Sane

Squiggle Success

Judith: Healing Will Happen

Shawny Amitriptyline

Do you think recovery is possible ?

Absolutely!  You can and will recover.  I'm willing to make a bet for $100 on that.  Try taking a look at this website.  Baylissa is very soothing and calming.  She says everyone heals eventually, it just takes a very long time.  This article by her may apply to you at this time.  Here is an excerpt from it: 

"The single most important thing you can do to cope well with your withdrawal is to not resist the symptoms and to accept them as a necessary path to and part of your recovery journey. You must remind yourself that what is happening is normal and that like the many people before you, the symptoms will eventually disappear and you will recover. It just does not make sense to be constantly struggling against what is happening (your nervous system healing). It is unrealistic and it compounds matters, causing immense stress, which in turn can make the symptoms even more intense.

Accepting the presence of the symptoms doesn’t necessarily mean you are in a zen-like state, smiling happily and affirming that you are healing! 🙂 It just means that you have realized there is nothing you can do but wait for the healing to be completed. And that no amount of resistance will change the fact that this is a “time” issue and that patience is key… along with the acceptance and normalizing!

The following is an excerpt from the Recovery and Renewal book, which I believe to be most important.

“For some people, acceptance implies giving up, resignation or failure. In your world, however, acceptance means less distress and minimal anxiety. It is the difference between barely surviving withdrawal and coping well. Imagine that you are on your way home. You know without doubt that you will arrive. You look ahead and notice there is a massive traffic jam. You are stuck. There is no way out but through. All you can do is resign yourself to waiting. This is withdrawal."

https://mccare.org/acceptance-and-normalizing/

https://mccare.org

Edited by getofflex

• Administrator
On 8/30/2022 at 10:45 AM, IWillHeal said:

The dates I missed were 27 and 29 august.

How did missing these doses affect your symptom pattern?

On 9/14/2022 at 2:00 PM, IWillHeal said:

The head pain fluctuates daily so I can’t say it gets worse / better . For example today it feels as though someone is pulling is string in the middle of my face to my head . It’s very internal. Sometimes it will be head pressure. Sometimes it will be like there is a knife in my head and others I feel numbness. 

These sound like fairly typical withdrawal symptoms. How has your symptom pattern changed in the last week?

• 6 months later...

Same story 24*7 dp after cold turkey amiptryline coz of no awareness of these **** medication 

Amitriptyline 10mg-Aug 20 2022-sep 15 2022

Paxil 12.5+ clonezapam 0.25 - oct 25 2022- continuing

• 1 year later...

Hi guys  

Looking for help again . 

So 2 days after this post things levelled out and I was able to go back to a relatively normal life. I tapered off immediately after and was done with this med in October 2022. 

However my body was not functioning as it had before and every week would have a flare of some symptom. This would coincide with stress. 

November of this year I was under extreme stress with investment exams which brought back all my symptoms and more … I think I had a nervous breakdown. 

Anyway .. things had got so desperate that I considered medication. 
I have taken 2.5mg of Citalopram for 4 days and then 1.75mg for a day as I’m so scared of the repercussions so  would rather just face it all naturally. 

I took the 1.75mg yesterday and now I have insomnia. 

please help - should I not take any more tablets given it was only a few days. 

thanks 

Hello, IWillHeal.

As I am weaning off amitriptyline and looking for help, I ended up reading your story.

Despite taking the damn drug for a short time, I noticed that you had terrible symptoms but, thankfully, they went away.

As for taking Citalopram, in your position, I would not get involved with psychiatric drugs again.

There are many alternative ways to deal with anxiety and depression, such as CBD or supplements.

God be with you.

2010 - 2017 20mg Lexapro
2017 - 2023 60mg Cymbalta
july 2023 90 mg Cymbalta

august - november 2023 - 150mg Pristiq  + 0,25 Rexulti + 0,25 xanax SOS
dezember 2023 -  january 2024 - 20mg Lexapro + 0,5 Rexulti + 0,25 xanax SOS

february 2024 - 20 mg Lexapro + 50 mg Luvox + 0,25 xanax 3 times a day

march 2024 - 600mg Lithium + 25 mg Amitriptyline  + 25mg Luvox

03/15/2024 - 600mg Lithium + 25 mg Amitriptyline + 12,5mg  Luvox

03/25/2024 - 600mg Lithium + 12,5 mg Amitriptyline + 12,5 mg Luvox 

04/03/2024 -  600 mg Lithium + 12,5 mg amitriptyline + 0 Luvox

04/09/2024 - 600 mg Lithium + 10 mg amitriptyline + 0 Luvox

04/12/2024 - Onset of withdrawal symptoms: anxiety, dread upon waking, depression. I will try to reduce Amitriptyline to 8.33 mg only after stabilizing at this dose.