flower switched to liquid celexa

flower

• Administrator

flower, I'm not an aspartame withdrawal expert.

I don't know much about L Phenylaline; I would not take it.

Perhaps you should "taper" with a quarter-can of diet pop for a few days.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you..I looked up phenylalaline in diet soda. This is a potent antidepressant and pain killer. I would imagine it has alot to do with the WD from the Diet soda.I am not well today. Anxiety trouble putting thoughts together and a stinging sensation on my arms and face. I had a half a soda.It almost made me ill but at the same time I need some kind of relief.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

I wish I knew what to expect from this..It's frightening to have this anxiety. 3 hours of sleep and hives didn't help.

Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.

• Moderator Emeritus

I can definitely relate to the lack of sleep, it makes you feel rotten! I'm astounded by the Phenyl aline (a potent antidepressant and pain killer) being used in diet soda. :o Is it in all of them? No wonder it's affecting you this way.

Your sleep was pretty good until now so it seems to me it must be the diet soda WD. That's sad and upsetting at the same time. So many people will never know what they are putting in their bodies.

Tezza there are a few friends giving up diet Coke with me and we are all having problems...insomnia ,anxiety ,racing thoughts ,anger issues. I'm going to try to stop some of this with a half a soda a day and resume. It alsmost makes me sick to drink it. We refer to this stuff as a can of chemicals..I've read about bipolar and mania being a misdiagnosis because of aspartame in diet pop. I know this isn't caffeine.I drink coffee. I'm so disgusted by this WD. How many times in the past I've gone without drinking pop for a few days and had these symptoms thinking I was going crazy. I won't even mention the muscle pain that's involved. I'm really dizzy this morning.The tinnitus last evening was gone for a while.I appreciate any peace. I will replace the pop with water and alot of ice a little at a time. Half a can is better that 4 or 5. Is this subject okay to talk about here?

• Moderator Emeritus

Flower,

I think it's okay to talk about it since the diet drink actually contains Phenylalanine. I haven't looked it up but you said it's used as "a potent anti-depressant".

People need to be aware of this! I'm sure not many do. It's causing WD symptoms of its on and surely it's exacerbating the WD from Celexa.

I hope these symptoms subside soon.

I agree Tezza and so does Doc. Why don't they ask when interviewing new patients about the artificial sweetners. The way I feel now there's no doubt this has something to do with antidepressant WD. I'm a little better after 3 days of half a glass of pop. I switched to diet pepsi to try to cut back since the Coke is worse to deal with. I had a quiet head for a while yesterday. It's interesting the symptoms. My friend, who cut back also is having alot of racing thoughts ,sweating,runny nose and insomnia. At least I know I'm not nuts! lol. I noticed more joint pain when I went back to half a glass.I can't wait to see if there's more improvement in my feet. I'll wait a week and cut back again. One woman described this as effexor WD.Can you imagine? From a diet soda! It helps me to research.I don't lose hope. . This has to make it easier to taper the Celexa. There's a little bit of me in there somewhere.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Flower, I started a topic on Phenylalanine here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3979-phenylalanine/

You may have something to add in that thread that will help others. It's insane that they can get by with selling something like that! So many people are using Aspartame, UNAWARE!

Love, tezza

Tezza you're great. This needs to be addressed. As of Jan 2013 Pepsi has added another sweetner to there product.It will be a new can design . The one thing they didn't do was take away the aspartame. I don't get it. I see alot of lawsuits have been settled out of court. When I saw 2/3 of the symptoms would be neurological I knew I was in for a ride again. I reduced pop again yesterday. I was actually yawning last nite! I slept the night! I woke up in no pain! I was afraid to move,I didn't want it to go away. My feet smart some, but I've noticed so much muscle pain gone. I also found that a pain reliever with caffeine in it to be of benefit. Bufferin, aspirin. Alot of lemon water. I now delute diet pepsi with water and alot of ice. There are 92 symptoms reported from aspartame poisoning..Even 2 cans a day can make you very ill. I can't wait to see if the Celexa taper is easier on me. I threw away all the gum in the house. Glee has no aspartame. Wish I could find it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you slept, so did I, but I took an OTC sleep aid with melatonin. Too much aspirin can make tinnitus worse but as long as you keep it at a low dose it shouldn't make any difference.

I occasionally take an OTC with aspirin and haven't noticed any increase in tinnitus on those days.

I slept well again! I'm a little anxious this morning but I'll pretend it's energy...I made a snowman yesterday now the dog won't go in the back yard. I can't remember when I did that last..It was beautiful outside. The snow was heavy and wet. Everything here was so white and quiet. No more cutting back pop for a few days. It's amazing the difference a few ounces will make. Easy does it.

I got up with alot more anxiety and tinnitus this morning. I've noticed the increase the last couple days. I guess I expected it. I wish I could just "drop the pop" I hope Doc's right about this making the Celexa taper easier. That small amount of pop in the afternoon sure has an effect like an AD. I haven't felt this crappy in a few weeks. My friend who's cutting pop also got very ill and decided to go back to 4 cans a day to ease the symptoms. Guess I'm lucky to be where I'm at. So I wait again. Almost 3 month hold on Celexa. I have no idea how to taper soda other than what I read on the Diet Coke WD sights..I'm watering it down. Tezza....How is it going ? Which Diet pop do you drink? Have you noticed any changes in sleep?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Flower,

I actually don't drink diet drinks at all. I drink coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon. Sometimes I drink Sprite or generic Sprite.

I'm doing pretty good. Sleep is in the broken pattern, still. Tinnitus is much milder than it used to be.

I'm glad I never got started on diet drinks. I've a lot to try to come off of as it is!

I hope you feel better soon.

Tezza

Sorry Tezza it's Nikki trying to taper aspartame. I'm confused as usual.. I was curious as to how she's doing? Nikki have you had any symptoms from decreasing the Diet pop? How long has it been. Have you had any insomnia?

typing and crying this morning..weepies come with tapering aspartame too I guess. Have been having issues with my right ear bleeding some, this pressure and tinnitus is awful.I feel like I have earmuffs on too.

Is there a code of conduct among these Doctors that they don't give up to much information for fear of planting thoughts? There is more to this Diet soda taper than Doc was telling me. I must be drinking approx. 4 ounces of pop a day. That small amount makes me tired and cranky for a couple hours. I don't think the WD could get much worse? On the upside,,I've seen improvement in my skin and hair, the rushes of anxiety are less..The sore muscles are from head to toe. Bufferin does help. Sleep could be better. More snow here today. I like to shovel,it's a good workout. I shovel tunnels for the little dog..The neighbors think I'm crazy..Me too sometimes.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about the code of conduct thing but it seems to me most doctors don't want to spend much time with each patient.

You sound like you are getting better mood-wise, that's a good thing!

Our weather here is cold and rainy, then cold and windy. We are having crazy weather!

Tezza.. I saw doc yesterday. She admitted the sweetners should be mentioned on every intake of new patients. She believes aspartame to be responsible for alot of illness in children...aspergers, and she mentioned a few others. I can't seem to kick this. My head and ears feel awful. I know I have to do this to get off the ADs. I'll wait a few more days and drop half the pop. The plan is, then , to wait 2 weeks and be done. I'm disgusted with being so weepy and achy and absent minded. I try to keep focused and watch what I eat. Alot of water and keeping regular is advised. I thought I'd be down a few mgs on the Celexa by now. I'm getting scared of feeling like this all the time. I've been there before.

The ONLY good thing is that when you're done with the aspartame you've accomplished as much as withdrawing from a whole drug

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Flower if I am understanding this correctly there is WD from aspartame that mimic WD symptoms from other substances?

In answer to your question,I have got to get off this crap. I don't add it to anything, but I drink Crystal light and diet soda (not so much with diet soda). I have not been feeling well. I do have bad insomnia.

I have read that aspartame can cause mental fogginess, bad dreams and affect memory. I have been addicted to Crystal Light for 20 years.

It seems that you are having cravings for the afternoon pop. If there is no crystal light in the house, I crave it too.

Your doctor said getting off aspartame with aid recovery from Celexa WD?

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Nikki...I am having an awful time trying to get off this pop. Yesterday I was so nauseated and dizzy it was all I could do to get through the day. It seems,for me, after about 2 weeks is when it gets rough.It's been 11 days since I last dropped to about 4 ounces. Yes Doc said it could aid in getting off the Celexa. I have to youtube aspatame to keep on the right track...I've been drinking less than a half a can a day and having several glasses of water afterwards. The WD is like the celexa WDs. .If you get this sick trying to give it up what has the stuff done to my brain? I'm not sleeping well, at times it's hard to focus. My left hand aches. I had all this with the last taper of Celexa. The anxiety is surprising too. The head stuff is ridiculous. My ears are roaring..One other thing Doc mentioned is that aspartame interacts with ADs and alot of other chemicals. I drank the stuff too for at least 20 years. Sometimes 4 cans a day. Keep reading and convince yourself to do this. I'm glad you said something because I now now I'm not crazy..My friend can't do it. The WD was too much for her..She is back to 4 cans a day! Stay in touch we can do this.

The ONLY good thing is that when you're done with the aspartame you've accomplished as much as withdrawing from a whole drug

You sure are right about that! I had no idea. Not one Doctor ever asked me if I consumed artificial sweetners. I had no idea the stuff could do this to my head..No wonder there are so many brain tumors and lesions associated with aspartame..

• Moderator Emeritus

You sure are right about that! I had no idea. Not one Doctor ever asked me if I consumed artificial sweetners. I had no idea the stuff could do this to my head..No wonder there are so many brain tumors and lesions associated with aspartame..

Unfortunately, many doctors are not very smart or either just don't care. I'm almost certain it's going to get worse as more new HC laws take effect. It's really sad...

I feel better physically but this mental stuff needs to stop. I can't tell at this point if the little bit of aspartame I partake of is making me sick or if it's the WD from the several cans a day for 25 years..What a mess I've made of myself.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Flower,

don't beat yourself up. You didn't know the stuff was bad for you.

Aspartame, IMO is the devil's drug too.

I'm amazed it's not illegal with the damage it causes.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Yesterday was my first day aspartame free. I could not hold still last night. It was awful. This has been 2 months of tapering pop..Dr janet Hull ,a pro on this subject ,told me even a small amount of poison will make you ill. The last 4 ounces of Diet soda had to go. I'm sure the Celexa taper will go easier once I get this under control. The WD and side effects are terrible..My mood is so improved through this..Remember folks 2/3 of this WD is neurological..What's that tell you. Thanks again Alto for the article. Basil...I'm trying to realize I can heal from this stuff. I've been so sick a few days it's hard to stay on the train. You feel like you have the flu x10 all the time. I've had cramps from the waist down..My kidneys are screaming...lol Lots of water. I don't know much about cleansing other than drinking alot of water and eating right. People who take in aspartame on an empty tummy are more at risk.

• Moderator Emeritus

Flower,

I'm sorry you are going through this but you've probably created awareness for many others. I knew a little about artificial sweeteners being harmful but have learned a lot more.

The article Alto posted was very eye-opening,as well. My boss that drank diet Coke all day long also used Splenda in his coffee. He was getting enough, consistently, to act as an anti-depressant, I believe. The article said it was causes depression in older people and I guess he never reached the age for that to happen.

Shortly after I got laid off, he was crushed by the bob-cat. He had stood up in it, reached up to move something in the bucket and his leg got on the lever that released the bucket to come down on him. I've wondered if the sweetener made him absent-minded enough to cause his negligence. He had been using a bob-cat for years but most of them had foot levers and this one had a hand lever.

Nine months after the accident I got a text message on my phone with a pic of the accident. Someone had sneaked a photo and put in in circulation. Thankfully, I wasn't in WD at that time, it was disturbing enough as it was!

That stuff is definitely poison! I hope you level out soon...

• Moderator Emeritus

Keep hanging on Flower,

I hope you feel better soon xx

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

I hope I level out soon too. Thank you so much for the thoughts. This isn't something I can talk about with anyone else. They think I'm crazy for having such a bad time. I'm telling you first hand this isn't easy. There really is something to this aspartame WD. I'm sure this has happened in the past and I didn't see it for what it was. I'm hoping for improvement physically right away. I've been saturated for a long time. The mental stuff will take a little longer..Doc said the effect it's had on dopamine and seratonin will take time . I hate that weepy stuff. The sun is to shine here in Pa. Tezza, Basil., I hope we find some peace today. Glad to be off the Aspartame Train, as Dr Janet Hull calls it. Now to get some sleep,the insomnia is rough.

Flower I have just had my dinner and there is no Crystal Light in the house. I am craving terribly.

When there is no sugary stuff in the house I crave that terribly.

There is a huge connection here. I think I am an addict. The sugar kind :lol:

And I do struggle with it. I had two large Cadbury Eggs yesterday and the day before I had an chocolate egg filled with peanut butter. WTH was I thinking.

Chocolate makes me feel terrible after a few hours, and here I am craving both asparatame and sugar. HHHHmmmmmm.

Thanks to you and the other for sharing this information. It contributes to depression. And yeah, like everything else there is a WD of sorts. Amazing.

Eventually your system will probably adjust and then it will taste terrible.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Be careful with the candy. Look at ingredients. Insomnia and increasing anxiety are an issue with this. If you want to know if it's the aspartame just have a drink or 2 and you'll feel better tomorrow. I didn't know tinnitus was a side effect either until it got so much worse when I started this. I'm free of the stuff 4 days now. My joints pop everytime I move. I'm stretching alot. I have bizarre aches and pains. No more headache and I slept some finally. It's the anxiety that lingers..Tingling on my face..Alot similar to the other WDs. Hope the stuff in my head settles today. Yesterday I had a good couple hours in the afternoon. I realize for some it will be hard to recognize the WD when there is so much other stuff going on. It will exacerbate other WD, Doc said to hold other tapers while giving it up. I have no urge to drink soda at all.

Flower I have just had my dinner and there is no Crystal Light in the house. I am craving terribly.

And I do struggle with it. I had two large Cadbury Eggs yesterday and the day before I had an chocolate egg filled with peanut butter. WTH was I thinking.

Chocolate makes me feel terrible after a few hours, and here I am craving both asparatame and sugar. HHHHmmmmmm.

Thanks to you and the other for sharing this information. It contributes to depression. And yeah, like everything else there is a WD of sorts. Amazing.

Hugs

Hugs

Hey Nikki stay away from that chocalate,lol. We'll be whining about gaining weight next. Summers coming...

woops I messed that up.

Another sleepless night. I've not been so alert in along time. Tinnitus was louder than usual,that made it impossible to go back to sleep. The rushes

of adrenalin and the heat that follows is a familiar WD for me. Even aspartame WD. Surely this will ease in the next few days. I've read alot about

this WD and the benefits to the brain..Maybe it will make me smarter? I will try to be thankful today,

Another couple days passed and still the WD from aspartame. I won't whine too much but this is totally ridiculous to go through thid because of diet

pop. Reading alot about this has kept me on track but it's hard when you know a couple sodas will make it stop. Most say to give it a month.

Sweating ,anxiety, tinnitus, fuzzy head.... Having the flu constantly...The usual I guess. Not even 2 weeks yet..Yuk!