☼ theelt712: tapering off Zoloft

theelt712

I have been getting wicked deep sleep for two nights in a row, woot! But then there is my mom. She is currently off Welbutrin after only a month or so of tapering and all we do now is argue. She is about to be put on three sets of meds, and if she is turned into a zombie, I will pack my stuff and leave. I cannot see her become anhedonic like I have.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

Hey all. Seeing some minor PSSD improvements today, mainly in thought and arousal but not sensation. Also, minor anhedonia improvements. I felt 20% happy at points today before it faded away.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

Hey all. Seeing some minor PSSD improvements today, mainly in thought and arousal but not sensation. Also, minor anhedonia improvements. I felt 20% happy at points today before it faded away.

Hey Super T!! I am so glad for you!

Cherish those feelings, and keep on walking towards recovery.

It is happening; regarding your mother, she is right,is HER choice.

Now you have one and one goal only: heal yourself.Ok?

Sending you healing vibes T :)

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Thank you, Alex. :) It is tough, with watching my mom go through it as well.

I have had some aspects of my life going back to.....normal? Yeah....normal. I woke up this morning feeling something, a 30% feeling of normality. I felt something new this morning. At times, I could feel myself slip back into anhedonia. There is some sort of happiness with the blunting, and the PSSD is improving exponentially, almost to normal aside from missing sensation, which will probably come in time. I thought it would leave with the anhedonia, but it will go eventually. Antiacids/antigas help A LOT with my stomach issues and my breathing is back to normal with stomach issues going back to normal. Yay for windows! Although the feeling is not deep, some are there from time to time.

My life is so bad with my mom that it is unbelievable. She is off her Welbutrin. All we do is argue and I am at a literal breaking point. It is not funny anymore.

Panic! At the party. I was in quite a few anxiety causing situations last night, one was one of my ex boyfriends following me around like a puppy and acting extremely odd, the other was being kicked out of a cab after my money somehow fell out and my fear of being stranded. I had two anxiety attacks last night. I had caffeine, but I have it sometimes and I think my situation would give anyone anxiety. I think it was more of an emotional case than anything.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you got through your difficult night, it does sound like it would provoke anxiety in anyone.  Its good that you are feeling well enough to go out and socialize, I hope the next party is better.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I agree with Petu; you were able to manage the stressfull situation good, despite the ugly feelings.

That is exactly what makes us stronger.Next time it wont be so bad.

You are doing the right thing.

Hugs, A.

Too much distress. I am achy, waking up shaky and feeling flulike. It freaks me out a lot, especially waking up and forgetting where I am.

Hi all, feeling fatigued, heart palps, and achy. I feel outside of myself and generally like crap. Not anything like it was on Zoloft, though, but I feel like I could sleep for hours.

Feeling DR'd, anhedonic, and disconnected from everyone. It sucks, but hopefully one day I will return to normal.

• Moderator Emeritus

I replied to you PM,  I'm sorry you're still not feeling well.  Remember that you are going through some other stressful things in your life at the moment, which may be contributing. The caffeine isn't helping.

You were only on medication for a short time, you will get back to normal, probably a better kind of normal.

This will pass

(hugs)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

*hugs* Currently going through some scary breathing/stomach issues at the moment, the more bloated I am, the harder it is for me to breathe and the less bloated I am, the more tight my stomach becomes.

Three months, four weeks. What a hell of a ride. I have been having bad GI issues, it hurts to use the restroom and gets worse with certain foods. It affects me and makes me fatigued. Bad DR today as well, but I am beginning to write detailed stories again like I used to. I felt somethings today! Not good things, nor deep feelings, but rather blunted feelings of loneliness at my life situation and it was to the point that I could not focus. However, my writer's block breaking is a very good sign. Brain zaps like crazy as well today. I hope it gets better from here. I have not been on much today, I am spending whatever time I have had with my mom. It is her birthday today. :-)

I figured out why I am in so much pain, aching, feeling flulike, etc...I am most likely PMSing. All of my symptoms get so much worse the week before a cycle. We will see in a week if that is the case.

Bad news first...my wicked stomach problems are getting worse. Seconds of tearing feelin, gurgling, nausea and bloating after eating anything...it sucks, I have no idea what to do. I have made an appointment to see my pediatrician with my mom. Good news...I am becoming reinvolved in writing and when I do not feel stomach sick, it puts a TRUE smile to my face. Also, I was telling my mom about a good album with a hint of actual excitement. I am getting mini reminders of feelings. I keep getting scared these stomach issues will kill me. :( Everything else seems to be improving, even anhedonia.

That  very good news Super T!!!

DON'T pay attention to your stomach....you are not gonna die from it, or anything.

My body hurts ALL over...the only big difference with you my dear child is that I am a 60 yr old man!

So I do have a reason to think I'm gonna die from a heart attack or something; but I try not to pay attention to my body when it "screams"

I've found out that eventually the symptoms go away.

I am performing (singing) tomorrow night for the first time in 3 years.

Last time I did it I was on AD.

First time in W/D...how is that for anxiety challenge!!!

Spirit is a powerful thing Theelt, and you're doing fine. :)

Thank you! FOUR MONTHS OFF TODAY!!!!! FOUR MONTHS OFF! WOOHOO! Hopefully, it is all uphill from here. My mom just got putn ADs FOR HEADACHES. WHAT THE SERIOUS HELL? She is not taking it yet....without contacting her (promed) psychiatrist. :/

GI problems are getting worse. My stomach kills, gas sucks and I have intermittent stabbing stomach pains/tearing feeling. I get scared something will burst. Also, my breathing gets worse with it. I actually got dizzy from slow breathing today. Also, my left arm pains have become noticeable and my left arm was heavy today. Scary :/ I also get a pulsing heart at times and it makes it feel hard to breathe. Heart palps are scary.

Some people have endured GI problems for a long time, thinking they were withdrawal, only to find they had a medical problem. The palpitations can be a typical withdrawal symptom caused by the ANS upheaval. Hope you can sort it out and feel better soon!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thank you! I am headed to a doc on October 1st to help sort it out.

Hi theelt,

I've been following your story for a while. I hope things get better for you. It sucks that you are going through this at a young age and you should be enjoying life like the rest of the people your age. I am sure you will recover. Just hang in there. I am currently 31 and I should be married by now but I'm not. I am hoping that I will recover soon so that I can get on with my life and enjoy my thirties.

Good luck to you and take care.

Thank you! I am afraid when all this is done...I will be like 20 or so and too old to enjoy life without responsiblity.

I am sure too, but I am missing out on the rest of my life in the meantime. I just barely have friends.

I've been there. I still don't have a ton of friends today but definitely more now then I did when I was younger.

You will have many opportunities to meet people even once you finish school. I met many of my current friends either

from work, or from playing sports and or mutual friends. You have to believe me on this. My high school / college yearswere the worst as far as friends go. I barely had any. So don't worry too much about that.

What do you do about chest pressure? I sometimes get it real bad when inhaling deeply, real pressing chest pressure that sometimes feels like pressing, usually after a meal and I am bloated. I get scared of heart attack.

is it only after you eat? I would sometimes just chest pains but there was nothing that I could point it to. If anything it would happen after coming back from the gym. I normally just heart palpitations a lot though which is kind of normal for me i think. I've always had them

It is usually when I am bloated, it is just worse after I eat. I have been getting it less and less but right now, it is bad and I do get my heart pounding and weird breathing with it. Not out of my chest but when I put my hand on my chest it feels harder than usual. It is squeezing pressure, I fear CAD or heart disease or angina. As far as I know, there is no Heart Disease in my immediate family but a lot of tummy disorders.

It would be really, really unusual for someone who thinks 20 will be old :) to have a heart attack. But acid reflux can definitely cause severe chest pain and a pounding heart, especially after eating or when bending over. I did a round of that myself....years ago, but still over 20, lol. You are doing the right thing to see a dr.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I am so scared of heart issues. The pressure gets worse with inhalation and some activity. I can feel the belch in my chest and I am beginning to get hot, possibly out of panic. No dizziness or left arm pain, just slow breathing and the pressure...which is beginning to go away. I had a clear EKG in June but that is not enough. I am 15...

Anxiety and fear can trick your mind Theelt;with time you will learn to control this, and it will be a powerfull resource to cope with distress in the future.

Your heart is fine.

You are fine.

You are just scared.So am I; it is normal in this difficult process.

Sending good vibes to you, A.

• Moderator Emeritus

Its good you have a doctor's appointment to check in case its something other than anxiety/withdrawal causing your symptoms, especially because stomach problems run in your family and you have been feeling worse.  Try and relax now, knowing that it will be sorted out soon.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

It might help if you eat smaller, more frequent meals, avoid spicy foods and drink plenty of water.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thank you all for support! Turns out it was wicked PMS...I am on my cycle now. I have to hike up a mountain in two days. Mood= highly annoyed.