☼ theelt712: tapering off Zoloft

theelt712

My mom is at home with a sinus infection and I'm scared that I may catch it. I do not want to go on antibiotics while healing for fear of an adverse reaction.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

Remembering a lot of feelings I used to have but not exactly how they felt. I do not know if this is an improvement or not.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

HOLY. CRAP. What a flashback. I was listening to a song and experimenting with the Strobe Illusion, minding my own business and all of a sudden, "BOOM!"....a flashback of intensity from February of this year, the day I had my first panic attack. I didn't have an anxiety attack, but I remembered something I read and ALMOST had an intense outburst of emotion. All I remember is how intense it was, how intense the situation was, and how intense the song sounded from that point on. Almost EXACTLY like being in that moment again but without full feeling. This has to be what an acid flashback is like....either that or it's a huge sign the anhedonia's improving. Holy crap....took me a few moments to realize what was happening.

Smiled and laughed more today than I have in a while. :) I don't know if I 'felt' the laugh but I did laugh and it was genuine. :D I went walking today and had some very yummy pizza. I finally tried that pizza place next to the dollar store I wanted to try....and I love it. ^_^ Some good stuff today.

Good morning, everyone. I watched a movie last night: American History X. If I wasn't so anhedonic, I am not sure I would have been able to get through all of it. It is easily one of the most harsh movies I've ever seen but the storyline was sort of interesting. I miss that flashback from yesterday....it's gone now, but it's the closest to deep emotion that I've had in several months. Hopefully I get several more of these until my feeling becomes permanent again. I want to be that story of hope for everyone years down the line.

Smiled and laughed more today than I have in a while. :) I don't know if I 'felt' the laugh but I did laugh and it was genuine. :D I went walking today and had some very yummy pizza. I finally tried that pizza place next to the dollar store I wanted to try....and I love it. ^_^ Some good stuff today.

Windows, windows..... :)

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

I know I don't feel much, so I wouldn't consider it a window, but it's more than a long time. :) Windows are pretty to look at . ^_^

Ahh, anxiety. Wonderful.....NOOOT. Shortness of breath, tiredness, and just feeling pain amiss is just horrendous. I felt drugged up and DP'd again [sigh :(] as if someone had given me some Zoloft. Very odd. Not nearly as DP'd as before but definitely an outside of myself feeling, definitely scary. :(

Mom's in the ER with an unusually severe headache. I'm having heart anxiety and thinking about going in myself, but I have a poetry slam later. Uggh. I don't know how I feel. Just this weird bland feeling of numbness, anxiety, and sadness. Not a good morning.

ELTupdate: I did not win the poetry slam. I did get 4th place, and a stomachache from eating too much pizza. The life of a 15 year old. I try not to consider myself 'completely lifeless' because that's not me. Because for right now, I have anhedonia but it does not have me. I did notice a PSSD improvement today, happy about that. :) Today= hopeful day.

If any of you go on PP right now...OH MY GOODNESS. I am quite worried about the safety of my friends on there... :/

We're fine!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

Okay, but I am worried about some other members that are not well off right now.

• Moderator Emeritus

I just got a shock too.  Some people really depend on these sites for support which they don't get in the real world.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I too am shocked.  I am worried as well about those who really depend on PP for support.  Was there any warning the site was going to be down?  I recall posts saying there was some thought as to the future of PP but not anything saying the site was going on a hiatus.  If there was no warning, I think this hugely irresponsible - you can't be a "support" site for people and then just disappear without any warning.  I am not sure I even have words for what has been done to people suffering and are probably now in a panic not having on-line support - really makes me angry, actually.

On another note, I am happy that you felt hopeful today, theelt - that must have felt wonderful!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg; 4/27/24: 1.06 mg

I agree. Just right out of the blue! And some people on the site are really struggling right now. I wish we were notified of the hiatus a week or two in advance.

And for the record, there was no warning that it was gonna be shut down. There were hints but no one knew the when and where.

Hi elt--  this happened back at Christmas too,  there was a similar flap to the one a couple of weeks ago and Scotty shut things down to regroup.  I think she is starting to get burned out 'cause she is running the place pretty much single handed.

4th place in the poetry slam, that is great, keep working on it, you'll get there.

How's Mom doing?

How's you doing?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I am alright, I guess, mom is sick with a sinus infection. She CTd Welbutrin recently, against my advice.

ELTupdate: I did not win the poetry slam. I did get 4th place, and a stomachache from eating too much pizza. The life of a 15 year old. I try not to consider myself 'completely lifeless' because that's not me. Because for right now, I have anhedonia but it does not have me. I did notice a PSSD improvement today, happy about that. :) Today= hopeful day.

4th place! wow! I am glad for you!

Also because your hopeful day.... :)

I am gonna PM you, ok?

Hugs,A.

I got the PM. :)

Hi elt

Everhopeful here from paxilprogress.   Good to see you.   And Aberdeen.  And Brass Monkey.   Bit of a shock - I knew nothing.   I'm ok, but miss some of the people I was just getting fond of.   Glad I found you guys.   lotslove

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Hi Ever--welcome to the refugee camp, there is a really great bunch of people here too.  Totally unexpected turn of events, it's left a lot of people confused.  Hope your doing well.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hey! I almost forgot to update. Icthink the anhedonia is lifting a bit. I am not thinking about it as much and I do not consider myself completely numb. I miss the depth of feelings but that will arrive in a few months, I hope.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey! I almost forgot to update. Icthink the anhedonia is lifting a bit. I am not thinking about it as much and I do not consider myself completely numb. I miss the depth of feelings but that will arrive in a few months, I hope.

Excellent news, great to hear.  You go Girl...

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I had another poetry slam- didn't win that one. I have now learned that after certain circumstances, my best friend is now on meds. When I heard, I didn't know how to feel about it, and when I thought about it, I dissociated into that anhedonic/derealization state. That state my brain uses to protect me from emotional breakdown. I was starting to feel more emotional and then the stress sent me back into anhedonia. At least I feel a little more than before in any case and I have far more faith in recovery.

My heart fears are through the roof. It keeps feeling like my heart will stop beating, i will stop breathing, i am skipping breaths, i have a bunch of left arm/radiating left shoulder, back, and shoulder pains. I sweat profusely, almost throwing up twice. My throat gets dry, i get dizzy, not fun. Likewise, i am under emotional stress right now and i am on my period. (gross but important to note). I feel really tired right now, anxiety overload.

Breathing is now much slower than usual. There are times where I stop breathing for a second to go back to breathing. My heart fears are uber high- did I develop a deadly arrythmia?

T, change channel!

You will be alright.

Don't let anxiety overwhelm you.

My mind is telling me to go to the ER. My heart feels like it is pounding, even at rest, but my breathing is slower than anything and it feels like I am skipping breaths.

• Moderator Emeritus

Write a poem, play with Luna, write a poem about playing with Luna, teach Luna how to write poetry or go for a walk.

Like someone recently wrote.... somewhere, your heart is fine, a strong muscle.  Distract yourself.  :)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Luna is currently sleeping on my back. :) I love her. I am under a lot of emotional stress right now, a very drastic personal event just happened and I guess that's a huge trigger.

I am quite nervous to do anything. I am constantly short of breath. I get scared that I will stop breathing. Head buzzing, all sorts of pains, and heart arrythmias/palps are constant. Should I go to a doc?

Sounds like anxiety. Many people go to the ER only to be told that they're just panicking and are sent home. 

Anxiety can do some crazy things... you can be anxious and not even feel nervous at all. Things like depersonalization and weird chest pains are usually just anxiety. You are young and healthy, don't worry about your heart!

I'm sorry if this in a way minimizes how bad you feel, but I mean, as a hypochondriac, I've been there. :/

Celexa 20 mg from December 2010 - July 2011. CT. 

Currently taking Buspar for anhedonia.

But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more.

• Administrator

Hi Theelt

In reality breathing is automatic - your body takes care of breathing for you and you don't have to think about it.  So, actually, it is ok if you forget to breath because your brain will take care of it.

What you might try is slow breathing to see if it calms you.  For example, inhale smoothly and continuously to a count of 8, hold for a count of 4 and then exhale slowly and smoothly to a count of 8 trying to expell all of the air from your lungs ... try this about 4 times and see if you feel calmer.

Whenever you start to get concerned over your breathing, stop and consciously try these breathing exercises - I think you'll find they are helpful.  If they work, but you still find that you are anxious do some more ... there is no magic number of breathing sets ... just do it until you feel calmer.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

The problem is that my breathing already feels too slow. The past two days have been awful because of it. I managed to fall asleep and woke up with my breathing feeling stopped a few times.