Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

The last 2 weeks felt like a year. But yesterday was day 14 of last taper, so much better today. 

4-14 are the worse days. This time was especially scary with brain pressure and numb left arm. Besides the usual suspects. And body pain was soooo bad. 

Today, catching up on cleaning and laundry. My little guy will be here this afternoon for a couple hours to mess things back up. 

I hope you feel better soon. Scorpio is down again with another virus. Poor girl can’t catch a break. I think it’s the puke flu this time. Makes me want to avoid all public places. 

Take care of yourself

hugs lg

Lex  4.3mg,  3/2/18  Ativan ,5 mg,  lunesta 2 mg , toprol  25 mg                                                            

Oct 16-28 2018 C/O to 19 mg V from 1.5 mg Ativan, 1.3 mg lunesta 

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

jan 23 - pneumonia, 2 AB’s. 

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

July 6- 11 mg V- ugly bad

july 11- 10.72 mg V, 4.3 lex, 

25 mg toprol

15 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

The last 2 weeks felt like a year. But yesterday was day 14 of last taper, so much better today. 

4-14 are the worse days. This time was especially scary with brain pressure and numb left arm. Besides the usual suspects. And body pain was soooo bad. 

Today, catching up on cleaning and laundry. My little guy will be here this afternoon for a couple hours to mess things back up. 

I hope you feel better soon. Scorpio is down again with another virus. Poor girl can’t catch a break. I think it’s the puke flu this time. Makes me want to avoid all public places. 

Take care of yourself

hugs lg

Want to come clean for me? I sit here and look at it but just can't get the energy to do it. I have 3 blankets and an electric throw on me and I'm still freezing. But not running a fever.

I'm glad you are better.

Poor Scorpio, she has had it bad. Tell her to feel better.

I haven't been anywhere. My fiancé brought it home to me. It's everywhere. Hope he doesn't get it.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hello frogie

I’m so sorry to hear you are now suffering from one of these awful viruses and hope you soon recover. Be kind to yourself and stay warm. 

‘’I am upright today after suffering the dreaded norovirus for the past few days and very fragile. What with three flu viruses since November now this plus w/d and anxiety behaving terribly I feel as though I will never recover. I’m sure once the sun arrives with the spring we will all feel better and healthier. 

2006 After sudden death of mother put on 20mg of citaloprom for depression. 

2014 Drug stopped working after two weeks of panic attacks felt fine. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

Last two weeks severe anxiety returned and feeling hopeless 

11July 2017. Cipralex 2mg. Anxiety, nausea still severe

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

1 hour ago, Scorpio said:

Hello frogie

I’m so sorry to hear you are now suffering from one of these awful viruses and hope you soon recover. Be kind to yourself and stay warm. 

‘’I am upright today after suffering the dreaded norovirus for the past few days and very fragile. What with three flu viruses since November now this plus w/d and anxiety behaving terribly I feel as though I will never recover. I’m sure once the sun arrives with the spring we will all feel better and healthier. 

I'm sorry you have them one after another. My granddaughter was confirmed with influenza A this week, poor girl. She's 10. I have been sneezing, blowing my nose non stop, body aches. No fever or sore throat.

I hope you feel better soon. It's not fun at all. :(

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

How are you feeling? 

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

35 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

How are you feeling? 

35 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

How are you feeling? 

I think I might feel a little better. I just feel so weak and tired, I can't get the effort to do anything.

How are you?

Take care,

Frogie xx

sorry you're sick Frogie,just makes dealing with WD all the worse.

I'm afraid to go anywhere these days ,so afraid of catching that awful flu.

take good care of yourself and feel better soon.

hugs,ds

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Really sorry Frogie, hope you feel better very soon.

Europe was so badly hit with nasty flu viruses (hubby and I were sick for 3 months straight with colds and flu).

Thinking of you my friend.

JC xxx

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Just now, direstraits said:

sorry you're sick Frogie,just makes dealing with WD all the worse.

I'm afraid to go anywhere these days ,so afraid of catching that awful flu.

take good care of yourself and feel better soon.

hugs,ds

Thanks DS:

The only place I've been is to the dr for him to check some moles (worst place to go). But my fiancé said everyone where he works has been sick so he might have brought it home too.

It will be a week tomorrow. I'm not sneezing but still blowing my nose a few times a day. The worst thing is I'm so weak and tired I have no effort to do anything.

I hope you don't get it. There are so many things going around. Stay home where you are semi safe.

Thanks for the support.

Take care,

Frogie xx

1 minute ago, Junglechicken said:

Really sorry Frogie, hope you feel better very soon.

Europe was so badly hit with nasty flu viruses (hubby and I were sick for 3 months straight with colds and flu).

Thinking of you my friend.

JC xxx

Thanks JC:

I remember you being sick. This is no fun at all. I'm so weak and tired I have no effort to do anything but sit.

Again, I'm so sorry about your father. He sounded like such a wonderful man. He is still with you.

Take care,

Frogie xx

1 minute ago, Frogie said:

Thanks JC:

I remember you being sick. This is no fun at all. I'm so weak and tired I have no effort to do anything but sit.

Again, I'm so sorry about your father. He sounded like such a wonderful man. He is still with you.

Take care,

Frogie xx

He was an angel (who just couldn't handle the finances).

The church was absolutely packed at his funeral, which would have made him very happy.  

TC,

JC xxx

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi frogie

Hope you are getting any relief from your rotten virus.  How are your new glasses, have you got used to them now. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

5 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie

Hope you are getting any relief from your rotten virus.  How are your new glasses, have you got used to them now. 

I am so weak and tired. My mother in law went to the dr last week and he said it was a virus. She wasn't getting better went back yesterday and has a sinus infection. I am going to go to the dr tomorrow morning just to make sure. My glasses are good. Sometimes a little hard to get used too depending on what I'm doing. Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for checking on me.

Take care,

Frogie xx

3 hours ago, Frogie said:

I think I might feel a little better. I just feel so weak and tired, I can't get the effort to do anything.

How are you?

Take care,

Frogie xx

Struggling today. It’s ugly. xx

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

8 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

Struggling today. It’s ugly. xx

I'm so sorry, what are your symptoms today?

I decided to go to the dr tomorrow morning just to make sure it's just a virus. My mother in law went last week and it was a virus. She wasn't getting better so went back yesterday and had a sinus infection.

Feel better.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi frogie

well I hope the doctor checks you out and finds  it is just the miserable virus. I got a sinus infection on the first virus and my voice sounded very strange plus awful pain in side of face and head. Good luck for your visit to the doc. 

Better to be safe than sorry. Hope it’s on it’s way out though. 

I cant describe my worse symptoms. It’s more than the nausea and headache, anxiety. If I had to explain it to a dr, I couldn’t put it into words. But I’m extremely fatigued with the worse dp/ dr. Weak and dizzy. I went with my daughter and the kids to a fun candy store, but it wasn’t fun. I wanted to run out screaming. 

Yesterday was a very stressful day. Got hit with bad news many times. I wish I was laying in the warm sand on the Caribbean 

take care of yourself. 

Hope you won’t need the doc by tomorrow. But if you do, hope it’s all good. Lg

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

25 mg toprol

2 hours ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie

well I hope the doctor checks you out and finds  it is just the miserable virus. I got a sinus infection on the first virus and my voice sounded very strange plus awful pain in side of face and head. Good luck for your visit to the doc. 

Thanks I hope it's just a virus too. But better to be safe than sorry especially since it's been going on for a week.

I appreciate you stopping by. I hope you are feeling better and no more viruses!

Take care,

Frogie xx

2 hours ago, Littlegrandma said:

Better to be safe than sorry. Hope it’s on it’s way out though. 

I cant describe my worse symptoms. It’s more than the nausea and headache, anxiety. If I had to explain it to a dr, I couldn’t put it into words. But I’m extremely fatigued with the worse dp/ dr. Weak and dizzy. I went with my daughter and the kids to a fun candy store, but it wasn’t fun. I wanted to run out screaming. 

Yesterday was a very stressful day. Got hit with bad news many times. I wish I was laying in the warm sand on the Caribbean 

take care of yourself. 

Hope you won’t need the doc by tomorrow. But if you do, hope it’s all good. Lg

Sorry you have a headache and anxiety. The nausea is the worst! I'm weak, dizzy and tired, but it's the crud I have.

I'm sorry you got hit with so much bad news yesterday. Hopefully today is better.

I'm ready for nice warm sand on the Caribbean, never been there. But every penny is being saved so we can move! 

I'm going to the dr tomorrow just to make sure. I'm sure it's just a virus, but that's what my mother in law said too lol...

Hugs...

Take care,

Frogie xx

Well...

Just got back from the dr. I have been sick for a week now. I have no fever, sore throat, or cough. It's all in my sinuses. He put me on a zpack. I do really well with those.

He also started me on 50mcg of Synthroid. I have fought him for quite a long time. I don't want another medication. But my TSH has gone from 4.1 to 7.3 in just a few months. So I lost the battle.

Frogie xx

2 hours ago, Frogie said:

Well...

Just got back from the dr. I have been sick for a week now. I have no fever, sore throat, or cough. It's all in my sinuses. He put me on a zpack. I do really well with those.

He also started me on 50mcg of Synthroid. I have fought him for quite a long time. I don't want another medication. But my TSH has gone from 4.1 to 7.3 in just a few months. So I lost the battle.

Frogie xx

Sorry to hear your TSH hasn't settled. I know how hard it is to add another drug to our system. Hope the zpack works for you. HUGS :wub:

My memory is a sieve.  What I can remember:

2006- Effexor started at 75mg upped to 300mg

somewhere after 2008- Switched to Cipralex started at 5mg upped to 20mg

2017- added Wellbutrin 150mg to Cipralex 20mg

occasional use of Ativan 0.5mg sublingual, usually given 7-10 tabs  -- (last used Nov 2017 ... previous? my mom's death probably? 2013)

Cold turkey Nov 13, 2017 (used Ativan once a day when it was unbearable until Rx finished)

24 Jan. 2018 - Reinstated Cipralex 5mg

31 Jan. 2018 - started Cetirizine Hydrochloride for severe allergies due to tattoo --- stopped 24 Feb. 2018

26 Feb. 2018 - Coversyl 4mg

Currently: 5mg Cipralex , 16mg Serc (for Meniere's), 4mg Coversyl (high blood pressure)

Supplements: 300mg Magnesium

58 minutes ago, JustCallMeJane said:

Sorry to hear your TSH hasn't settled. I know how hard it is to add another drug to our system. Hope the zpack works for you. HUGS :wub:

Thanks but I'm glad you are better!

HUGS

QUESTION!

Has anyone, or does anyone take Synthroid (or the generic).

As you can see from my signature, my TSH went from 4.1 in May, 2017 to 7.3 in January, 2018. The dr put me on 50mcg Synthroid yesterday (Saturday). 

He told me to take it before bed because of the Lexapro and Xanax I take in the morning, afternoon and evening. I waited about 3 hours after I ate dinner and had no caffeine before I took it.

About 3:30am, I woke up really jittery, sweating and hot. 

Has anyone had any of these problems? If so, is it normal and my body needs to get used to it, or should I call my dr Monday about this?

I googled it. One site said they were major symptoms and to call my dr right away. Another one said these are side effects and if they are bothersome or don't go away talk to my dr. So, I'm very confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hey Frogie ~ this is most probably a result of the drugs and therefore is possibly and probably transitory. I have had the same ups and downs in my TSH numbers etc. but because I don't put a whole lot of faith in the medical model or their ranges, I have largely ignored it and have assumed that it will correct itself back again , in good time ( which it is doing).

I'm able to do this largely because I have no health anxiety ~

I'm not saying you should do this but you could maybe down-regulate some of the worry, just a little because often these processes - that go askew in withdrawal, do tend to  gradually right themselves over time.

I started on the natural thyroid but then decided I didn't want or need it. 

This is fairly simplistic and I'm not necessarily advising it ~ I'm just saying that W/D messes with the whole system and sometimes it takes some time for the body to revert back to some semblance of normality.

You could call your doctor and see what he suggests. In  your sig you have Armour crossed out - were you on that previously?

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

22 minutes ago, AliG said:

Hey Frogie ~ this is most probably a result of the drugs and therefore is possibly and probably transitory. I have had the same ups and downs in my TSH numbers etc. but because I don't put a whole lot of faith in the medical model or their ranges, I have largely ignored it and have assumed that it will correct itself back again , in good time ( which it is doing).

I'm able to do this largely because I have no health anxiety ~

I'm not saying you should do this but you could maybe down-regulate some of the worry, just a little because often these processes - that go askew in withdrawal, do tend to  gradually right themselves over time.

I started on the natural thyroid but then decided I didn't want or need it. 

This is fairly simplistic and I'm not necessarily advising it ~ I'm just saying that W/D messes with the whole system and sometimes it takes some time for the body to revert back to some semblance of normality.

You could call your doctor and see what he suggests. In  your sig you have Armour crossed out - were you on that previously?

Hi Ali:

I was on Armour for about 4 days. It was a nightmare! I was nauseous and constipated really bad. And I was on the lowest dose. My insurance wouldn't pay for it either. I took the generic Levothyroxine and it caused me to throw up for 4 days. Once I went off I quit throwing up.

Last night was the 1st night I took the Synthroid so I'm wondering if it's just side effects that will go away? I'm going to give it a couple of days and if it's not better, I'll call the dr. He said I could take it with my Lexapro and Xanax or at night, whatever made me comfortable. I took it before bed last night.

I talked to my dr about not taking anything because of the Lexapro WD. He said when I'm done with the Lexapro that I could try not taking the Synthroid and see how my TSH is. He did say it could be withdrawal, but it just keeps going up and up and could get out of control and start attacking my thyroid. I don't need that!

So, you think it's side effects and should resolve?

Thanks...

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Frogie,

I think that your decision to give it a couple of days and perhaps call on Monday is a great one.  It could be your body adjusting........sure.........or perhaps a lower dosage if it persists.  I honestly don't know much about Synthroid as compared to Armor, etc.  Nor am I all that well versed in thyroid problems.  I'm more natural/alternative.......much like AliG.

Did your Doctor check the T3 and such?  I do recall you got antibodies checked.  But some of the other specific thyroid tests......I had wondered if you got them done.  I best refer you back to Karma's thread for more on that though.  There is so much information there and hopefully.......I mean I am hopeful that you can manage with your Doctor to get a really good individual plan going to manage your thyroid through W/D.

How are you settling in with your glasses?  Interestingly........I learned my headlights were low, which accounted for some of my difficulty with night driving.  Mostly.....just the reading glasses for me at this point.  I'll pursue more if needed for paid work.  We'll see........that's all kind of pending.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

1 minute ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Frogie,

I think that your decision to give it a couple of days and perhaps call on Monday is a great one.  It could be your body adjusting........sure.........or perhaps a lower dosage if it persists.  I honestly don't know much about Synthroid as compared to Armor, etc.  Nor am I all that well versed in thyroid problems.  I'm more natural/alternative.......much like AliG.

Did your Doctor check the T3 and such?  I do recall you got antibodies checked.  But some of the other specific thyroid tests......I had wondered if you got them done.  I best refer you back to Karma's thread for more on that though.  There is so much information there and hopefully.......I mean I am hopeful that you can manage with your Doctor to get a really good individual plan going to manage your thyroid through W/D.

How are you settling in with your glasses?  Interestingly........I learned my headlights were low, which accounted for some of my difficulty with night driving.  Mostly.....just the reading glasses for me at this point.  I'll pursue more if needed for paid work.  We'll see........that's all kind of pending.

mmt

Hi MMT:

Yes I had my t3 and t4's and everything else checked and they were all within "normal limits". It's only my TSH that keeps going up and up. 

I've done the natural stuff, made me sick and my insurance would pay for it. Even with a coupon it was over $40/month. I can't afford that.

I googled side effects. One site said call the dr right away with these side effects and a couple others said call the dr if it continues, so I'm wondering if my body has to get used to it? I don't have any dise effects right now.

My glasses are great. I can see! And no more headaches.

Thanks for stopping by and helping me. Hopefully Karma will see my question and be able to answer me.

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie. I'm not stating anything ... just posing the questions, for you to look into, as you see fit. I'm also relaying my own experience with this ... it can be tricky. Have you had the full thyroid panel done with the reverse T 3/4 etc?

I know you have spoken to Karma and we can continue to monitor ... unfortunately, with thyroid there are no easy answers.

Yes, I do believe withdrawal messes with your numbers. I tend to have a " wait and see" attitude.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

7 minutes ago, AliG said:

Frogie. I'm not stating anything ... just posing the questions, for you to look into, as you see fit. I'm also relaying my own experience with this ... it can be tricky. Have you had the full thyroid panel done with the reverse T 3/4 etc?

I know you have spoken to Karma and we can continue to monitor ... unfortunately, with thyroid there are no easy answers.

Yes, I do believe withdrawal messes with your numbers. I tend to have a " wait and see" attitude.

I am just wondering if they are side effects of the meds because I don't have them anymore.

I had a complete work up and everything was within "normal limits".

If I'm not better by Tuesday, I'll call the dr. But I did google it and one site said to call the dr right away with these symptoms, a couple others said to call the dr if they don't go away. So I think my body just needs to get used to it.

I think I'll post my question to Karma and see what she has to say.

I did the wait and see approach for almost a year and it just kept going up and up.

I really appreciate you helping me.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Frogie said:

My glasses are great. I can see! And no more headaches.

Thanks for stopping by and helping me. Hopefully Karma will see my question and be able to answer me.

I'm good Frogie.  Thanks for the hopes that it continues.  And yes......Karma's got a good selection of information there too.  When your HA(health anxiety) feels a bit settled......well, if I were you I'd try and sort on through what is in that thread, just for myself......I would anyway.  I often need to look at information with a pen and paper beside me.....make notes and all that old fashioned approach to learning and growing(helping my brain retrain a bit or becoming more neuroplastic??...... while learning).  I'm kind of visual in that way. 

Most all of us do have the intellect.....I mean I believe that........which does help in healing, even while still in the more acute throes of change.  And you are at that lower and sometimes tougher.......part of your tapering now........oh the escitalopram..........ugh.........just settling after your last taper now, I am certain.  Yet, sometimes the intellect is a bit of an obstacle as well, for me anyway........in finding that greater peace........that helps so very much.  

Are you still skyping with dear granddaughter and family at home?  Do you do some FB time as well with your friends and family?  To stay connected positively.  I like FB for that.  Posting pics and inspirational stuff.  Sharing as I go along my journey. 

Anyway.......happiest or peaceful ness on this Sunday.  I gotta head to the Epsom salts bath and Costco happy light and then.........well, got some work to do.  Maybe go visit my boy or some new friends.  Or just watch more of the ski ers in the Olympics or whatever is slated for today.  Figure skating is kind of calming for me to watch as well.

Ski ing alternated with yardwork......what funny weather.  And going to try to have the best time with my family houseguests coming soon.

Be well Frogie.   Sorry to read about your more recent virus?  2 weeks is usually the charm as far as those go.......as far as turning the corner into feeling better goes.  And man......it's only 3 weeks now or going on 4 since your last taper as well.  Easy does it. as we say in my 12 step group.

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hello Frogie,

I see that you are having some issues with thyroid meds, and I wanted to let you know my experience with it.

I started on 50 mcg of levothyroxine sometime in 2014 I believe.  Immediately I experienced a major rash, feeling hyper, sweating, etc (also developed hypnic jerks that have led me down the path of psych drugs; these jerks did not resolve even though I discontinued levo).  After a few days I discontinued and things reverted to normal (except for the hypnic jerks).  I then started on NatureThroid and slowly titrated up to my current 65mcg (I think this is equivalent to 50 mcg levo).  And was able to stabilize.

My 2 cents' worth is that by starting at a high dose of 50 mcg, your body went in to shock and behaves as if you were hyperthyroid (and is possibly why you did not tolerate the Armour thyroid also).  Perhaps if you started at 12 for a week and slowly go up to 50 over the course of a month or so, you body would acclimate better.  That's what I did and it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

12 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

I'm good Frogie.  Thanks for the hopes that it continues.  And yes......Karma's got a good selection of information there too.  When your HA(health anxiety) feels a bit settled......well, if I were you I'd try and sort on through what is in that thread, just for myself......I would anyway.  I often need to look at information with a pen and paper beside me.....make notes and all that old fashioned approach to learning and growing(helping my brain retrain a bit or becoming more neuroplastic??...... while learning).  I'm kind of visual in that way. 

Most all of us do have the intellect.....I mean I believe that........which does help in healing, even while still in the more acute throes of change.  And you are at that lower and sometimes tougher.......part of your tapering now........oh the escitalopram..........ugh.........just settling after your last taper now, I am certain.  Yet, sometimes the intellect is a bit of an obstacle as well, for me anyway........in finding that greater peace........that helps so very much.  

Are you still skyping with dear granddaughter and family at home?  Do you do some FB time as well with your friends and family?  To stay connected positively.  I like FB for that.  Posting pics and inspirational stuff.  Sharing as I go along my journey. 

Anyway.......happiest or peaceful ness on this Sunday.  I gotta head to the Epsom salts bath and Costco happy light and then.........well, got some work to do.  Maybe go visit my boy or some new friends.  Or just watch more of the ski ers in the Olympics or whatever is slated for today.  Figure skating is kind of calming for me to watch as well.

Ski ing alternated with yardwork......what funny weather.  And going to try to have the best time with my family houseguests coming soon.

Be well Frogie. 

manymoretodays

I posted my question on the hypothyroidism thread. I hope Karma will read it and give me some insight. I also wrote to a couple of people I saw on their signature they take Synthroid. Maybe I'll get some answers.

I wonder if the dosage is too strong to start with. Maybe I'll cut it in 1/2 tonight and see what happens. I've talked to people that start off with really low doses and go up slowly. I tried to call my dr but no answering machine even. So guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to talk to him.

I have read a lot on Google, so I feel a little more comfortable, but would feel better if I could talk to Karma or the people I wrote. You know health anxiety is just rotten.

But I have no side effects since I took my Lexapro, Xanax and ate. So I keep wondering if it's too strong for my body still.

Tomorrow will be 30 days since I tapered Lexapro. If I feel good, I might taper. Just have to see. I have felt great until last night. But it didn't last all night.

I haven't tried an Epsom bath. But I hear good things about it.

We have no snow. :( I wish we would, it's still winter.

I will be so glad when we move back home and can go to stores and Costco. I really miss them. I don't go anywhere because why waste gas to go to the same 3 stores 16 miles one way from the house.

I hope you have a good Sunday. Have a good time with yard work and the Olympics. We are watching NASCAR!

I really is nice talking to you again. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

13 minutes ago, Survivor1 said:

Hello Frogie,

I see that you are having some issues with thyroid meds, and I wanted to let you know my experience with it.

I started on 50 mcg of levothyroxine sometime in 2014 I believe.  Immediately I experienced a major rash, feeling hyper, sweating, etc (also developed hypnic jerks that have led me down the path of psych drugs; these jerks did not resolve even though I discontinued levo).  After a few days I discontinued and things reverted to normal (except for the hypnic jerks).  I then started on NatureThroid and slowly titrated up to my current 65mcg (I think this is equivalent to 50 mcg levo).  And was able to stabilize.

My 2 cents' worth is that by starting at a high dose of 50 mcg, your body went in to shock and behaves as if you were hyperthyroid (and is possibly why you did not tolerate the Armour thyroid also).  Perhaps if you started at 12 for a week and slowly go up to 50 over the course of a month or so, you body would acclimate better.  That's what I did and it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Hi Survivor:

I really appreciate you helping me out.

First I took the generic Levothyroxine and threw up for 4 days. When I stopped taking it, I quit throwing up.

I tried Armour and it was a nightmare! I don't think my body liked the natural stuff at all. I had to stop it too. I was on the smallest dose. And my insurance will only cover generic Levothyroxine or Synthroid, I can't afford the Armour even with the coupons.

I can cut the 50mcg Synthroid in 1/4's (12.5) for a week and see if that works. 

I know now I have to take it. My TSH has just been climbing higher and higher. It's only going to get worse. I had my whole thyroid panel ran and it was all within "normal limits". I don't have any antibodies for Hashimoto which is good. The dr said that it could be WD symptoms and when I'm done with the Lexapro we can try going off Synthroid and see what my TSH is then.

I just talked to my fiancé and he said cutting them and going up each week for a month sounds like a good idea.

I really do appreciate all your help.

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie,

I'll answer your Synthroid questions here on your thread. The only time I had signs of hyperthyroid was when I tried to slightly increase the dose I was on. Even a minute increase was too much.

I'd concur with going more slowly. Doctors just don't get what it means to have a sensitized nervous system.

The other thing to consider is that study I posted on the thyroid thread, that suggests the med is better absorbed at night, meaning you're getting a higher dose than if you take it during the day. And for some people, even in small doses, it's too stimulating at night. For me, it makes me sleepy, so taking it at night makes sense. I also don't have to worry about waiting for coffee or food in the AM. But everyone is different as to what will work best.

Make sure that the doc sends you to check your TSH after 3 months. You need to make sure you're not overshooting the mark with it.

Hope that helps.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

1 minute ago, freespirit said:

Frogie,

I'll answer your Synthroid questions here on your thread. The only time I had signs of hyperthyroid was when I tried to slightly increase the dose I was on. Even a minute increase was too much.

I'd concur with going more slowly. Doctors just don't get what it means to have a sensitized nervous system.

The other thing to consider is that study I posted on the thyroid thread, that suggests the med is better absorbed at night, meaning you're getting a higher dose than if you take it during the day. And for some people, even in small doses, it's too stimulating at night. For me, it makes me sleepy, so taking it at night makes sense. I also don't have to worry about waiting for coffee or food in the AM. But everyone is different as to what will work best.

Hope that helps.

Hi freespirit:

Thanks for your response. 

I think my dr started me at a high dose, like you and Survivor1 said. I'm going to cut them into 1/4's and take it for a week and see how I do. 

I took it last night before bed. I made sure that I hadn't eaten for 3 hours and had no caffeine for over an hour.

I really appreciate the help.

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Well...

I started the Synthroid Saturday and woke up at 3:30 in the morning jittery, sweating and really hot. I cut the pill and took it early this morning. No jittery feelings, sweating or being hot, but got nauseous. I don't know if the nausea has anything to do with the Synthroid or the 3rd day of a zpack but I hadn't taken the antibiotic before the nausea showed up.

If it's not better in a few days, I'll call and talk to the dr. I'm so tired of taking a thyroid medication and then something happens. Maybe it's coincidence or my body just doesn't like the thyroid meds.

Today was my day to taper the Lexapro, but no way the way I feel. Maybe by the end of the month.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

P.S. I'm just st having a pity party. 😔