alex

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there Alex, I think we are being attacked by the same wave and you are right, its a brutal one, I had a bad night and also feel exhausted. No need to be sorry, just do whatever you can to get through the time until it passes, that's what I'm doing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there, Alex!  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Hey Narcissus, good to hear from you again;I was missing you.You are one of the tough warriors in this site.

Here I am, coping with the terrible waves of neuro-emotions, and the every day stressors...

Thank you for stoping by.

Hugs,A.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

I am going to go away from the forum for a while.

I hope I will give you a positive and more stable update soon.

Right now I'm in the rollercoaster, and only time will tell how long this will take.

I have seen an overall improvement, and that is important to remember.

Hang in there everybody.

• 2 weeks later...

Alex, I hope you are doing ok, or perhaps even better than ok. I'm sorry that your last bad wave coincided with my "disappearing act," which sometimes happens to me. I feel a need to retreat for a bit and then fall into a rabbit hole where I self-isolate almost completely.

I hope we hear from you again soon. I will miss you until then. You have been one of my true inspirations here.

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

Ánimo Alex!

You have the strength, just by reading your last post about the overall improvement when you're on a wave means so much.

Un abrazo,

Jose

1999-2004 citalopram 10 to 20mg with 2-3 withdrawal attempts.
2004 fluvoxamine for 4-5 months aprox. Changed to venlafaxine because of the headaches and dizziness.
2005-March 2014 venlafaxine usually starting on 150mg and coming down to 75 or 37.5. Several withdrawal attempts.
In March 2014 I stopped taking 37.5mg of venlafaxine without tapering.

Went through 5 months of confusion, anxiety, insomnia and desperation. From then I am very slowly recovering, on windows and waves.

Symptoms: muscle stiffness and aches, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, memory loss, inability to concentrate or think straight, difficulty to speak, difficulty to read (improving).

Taking omega3, magnesium, calcium, vitamin E and probiotics.

September update: good days outnumbered  by far the bad days.

This month that ends today, I can count 24 "good" days, 11 of wich were almost symptom free or very good.

Only 6 bad "wavy" days...

A few months ago it was absolutely the opposite.

It gets better, very slowly and crazy, but surely. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Good news, indeed!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

14 days in a row with very low symptoms....doing normal life...wow!!

Sleeping much better;I wake up but get back to sleep w/o trouble.

Windows getting better and longer....am I getting out of the woods?? :huh:

Windows getting better and longer....am I getting out of the woods?? :huh:

Alex,

I'm very glad to hear you're doing better!

Back on September 16 you said you were going to stay away from the forum for awhile. Do you think that getting away helped you in some way, perhaps to focus on other life activities? I certainly can understand this, if so. I think it's easy for me to return to the forum and, though it serves a GREAT purpose, probably keeps my focus here rather than moving on.

Just wondered what your thoughts are on this.

Again...yay! to feeling better!!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Way to go Alex!

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Such good news - I am happy for you.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

I am in an awful wave of anxiety, DP, fear...my life is so empty.

I've been giving the good fight, but I don't know if this is too much for me.

Very dark scary thoughts..OMG when is this going to end...

Oh Alex. I'm sorry you're in a wave. You had such a great window just recently. I know it's hard to recall when you're suffering.

Hang in there.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been giving the good fight, but I don't know if this is too much for me.

That's the wave talking, you are much stronger now Alex and will get through this one like all the others.  Your windows are coming along faster these days, less than 2 weeks ago you wrote:

Windows getting better and longer....

So hold on, another window is just around the corner, you are getting there.  One step at a time, so keep walking.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Thank you Barb and Petu, my dear friends.

I survived today.

And I am hanging on.

Terrified with doom thoughts that this might never end.

I read Dr. Shipko and I am very scared.

Horrible anxiety and depression.

Personal life very complicated.

I feel I wont have the strenght to pull through.

I don`t want to die.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alex, sorry that you are having an awful wave. This will pass and the window will open again. 

When my waves hit I always panic and think that it is the one that will never end, but they always do

and your will end too. I hope you can find a way to deal with your problems. One of the things the drugs

do to us is to dull emotions and feelings so we don't care about things. When that drug is removed we 

have to re-learn how to deal with emotions. 

I hope this wave ends soon, and will watch for your update that tells us that you are feeling better.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Alex

Sorry to hear tou are in a wave.

I spoke to shipko by phone a couple months ago when I was terrible depression wave. He told me to stick to 37mg as long as it took, possibly forever which freaked me out. He did mention 10% taper if I stabilized. He was very bleak. However at 10% / monthly shows he doesn't consider very slow tapers. I would not take his words to heart. You are showing progress maybe not at the moment but look back in time and will agree.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Alex, dear one,

Keep your head low during the storm - you are SO strong, and your windows are inspiring, giving hope to us all.

I'm in a bad wave right now and the "doom thoughts" are plaguing me, too.  I thought about you in the early days of this wave, while I was self-isolating, and you gave me courage from afar.

MammaP, font of wisdom, is SO right. I am having to re-learn how to deal with emotions big time. Some of the biggest difficulty comes with emotional transitions  - even the most minor ones, from one type of subtle feeling to another. It's like no shocks on my car and the brakes malfunctioning on a winding road!

Keep walking, Alex. We will beat this.

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

Thinking of you, Alex. I'm so sorry you're in a terrible wave. There seems to be a tsunami going round at the moment. It's hit me too. You've had some amazing windows. I hope this dreadful wave paves the way for a big bright window.

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - med free

Thank you my dear friends for your support.

Here I am riding this brutal wave;almost paralyzed with extreme anxiety and depression...

It is amazing how a human being can endure this torment.

I just don't know how I'm gonna pull through...

I can't write or think.

Very bad shape.

I am in the depths of hell.

Barely hanging on.

The last brutal wave before this one was 22 days ago...is that good?

OMG! what is this??

• Moderator Emeritus

There seems to be a tsunami going round at the moment. It's hit me too.

It has me too and its taking all my strength to distract, stay calm and get through each day.  Alex, you will get through this wave, it will pass like they all do.

Earlier today I was thinking exactly what you wrote "OMG! what is this??"  and I was wondering how I was going to get through much more of it.  But we will and we are, one step at a time. Each day we get through is one step closer to recovery.  The waves are just part of the process.

I think 22 days between waves is good, but I'm further behind than you and I generally get about 3 days between them.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

I am so so sorry Alex and Petu. We all seem to be stuck in a monster of a wave. We can all pull through. We've done it before.

Alex, keep on going. Another window will open for you soon, I'm sure of it.

29 June 2014 - med free

Thank you dear friends for your support.

The awful wave is over;I am in the low symptoms plateau again.

The best sleep I've had in months last night...weird thing this syndrome...

Wishing the rollercoaster to end,eventually...

Yay!!

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

That's wonderful Alex!!! Yay!

29 June 2014 - med free

I can almost feel the relief from here.

Peace, my friend. :-)

Very clear window today...is this crazy or what??? :huh:

Thank you Lexy,WT, and mlrp.

Hugs, A.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

I'm fairly new to this. Four months into WD. Pretty crappy. But, I was talking to others and directed to your thread for some hope. I've read a fair amount. Just wanted to say hi. I def need some inspiration. Dealing with insomnia, restlessness, and internal tremors at the moment...amoung many other things. Have to look hard to find light at the end of the tunnel. But, I have had maybe three windows where I felt pretty normal, kinda. They only lasted an hour or so, but I guess that's a good sign this early on.

Glad u are well :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Hi JDM; I wanted to give an update at the end of the month, but I'll give you an advance.

After an awful wave that lasted 4 days, I've had 11 days in a row of quite good windows; as a matter of fact 9 of those days have been VERY good, almost symptom free.

I am been able to function and enjoy life again and make some plans for the future,job and stuff.

I am definetly recovering from a severe wd from 4+ yrs of Efexxor use.

It has been the most terrifying experience of my life, and almost killed me.

But after 27 LONG,HELLISH months I am starting to see undeaniable recovery.

Good days outnumber the bad days by far, and it has been like this now for several weeks.

I know I am not out of the woods yet, and I could be hit by a wave again, but I know the pattern and all I have to do is hang on, and keep stay the healing path.

It gets better;it takes A LOT of courage, patience, and faith, things I didn't have before this ordeal began.

Hang in there,try to stay away from psy meds, and you'll have your reward.

Hi JDM; I wanted to give an update at the end of the month, but I'll give you an advance.

After an awful wave that lasted 4 days, I've had 11 days in a row of quite good windows; as a matter of fact 9 of those days have been VERY good, almost symptom free.

I am been able to function and enjoy life again and make some plans for the future,job and stuff.

I am definetly recovering from a severe wd from 4+ yrs of Efexxor use.

It has been the most terrifying experience of my life, and almost killed me.

But after 27 LONG,HELLISH months I am starting to see undeaniable recovery.

Good days outnumber the bad days by far, and it has been like this now for several weeks.

I know I am not out of the woods yet, and I could be hit by a wave again, but I know the pattern and all I have to do is hang on, and keep stay the healing path.

It gets better;it takes A LOT of courage, patience, and faith, things I didn't have before this ordeal began.

Hang in there,try to stay away from psy meds, and you'll have your reward.

Well, I'm so glad you are feeling so well, it does give me hope. The med madness started in Feb of this past Spring and I haven't felt anywhere near normal since then. But, the start of WD was just this past July. So I'm like four months in. I've already had a time when I thought I was near death, and I believe God stepped in.

I wonder if I will have the courage and endurance. But I have to. I have no choice. Thanks again. Hope u just keep getting better. :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

October update.

Still in the low symptoms-wave-windows plateau.

Good days outnumbered bad days again this month.

25 low symptoms days,10 of which were very good, almost symptom free.

4 wavy days.

Symptoms that persist the most:broken sleep; I wake up several times during the night, but been able to go back to sleep w/o problem.

PSSD in the form of premature ejaculation; getting SLOWLY better.

Doing almost normal life despite the symptoms;anxiety mostly.

Keeping faith and good attitude.

I'll be 61 next Friday 7th ;)

That´s great Alex. I am so happy for you, I´ve been reading your thread from time to time and it´s good news. Remember to read this post when a possible wave hits you. But it seems that the waves are no longer as debilitating as they once were. GREAT!

Put on trazadone for 8 weeks. Psychic akathisia started on 100 mg. Not a single doctor believed me telling me it is all anxiety in my head. Terrible suicidal urges. Got voluntary hospitalised. Acknoledged adverse reaction, put me off cold turkey. Instalated mirtazapine to block the reaction of trazadone. 5 weeks on mirtazapine.acathisia worsened, suicidal, homicidal urges. Nobody believed. Finally they stopped mirtazapine cold turkey. My heighest dose of trazadone was 200 mg, of mirtazapine 30 mg. Since the c/t, suicidal, acathisia continuing.

tried promethazine for sleep. Tried atarax. Currently taking klonopin for 10 days. Good for sleep, but my condition worsening. Unable to tell if it is klonopin or a bad wave.

In the former hospital i took twice gabapentin. It should be all my medication.

i was offered promethazin for sleep 25 mg and also small amount of quetiapine. Both are antipsychotics, even if ptomethszin very weak. Terribly afraid.

Thank you for your words Wolfhound.

Yes, I am getting better.

I have to be gentle with my CNS and watch for triggers.