☼ Petunia: recovering from 13 years of antidepressant use

Petunia

• Moderator Emeritus
I'm glad that you went for milk, you achieved something and now I have decided to go to the postbox....

in the rain. I may even walk to visit an elderly neighbour who has called in on me and return the 

gesture. You have inspired me so thank you.   :wub:

It gave me a small rush of happiness to read that I had inspired you MammaP.  I imagined you walking out in the rain to the post box and I realized that it doesn't matter how small our daily achievements are, but that we are able to inspire and support each other to keep reaching for those little achievements, one after another.  There have been times when I have read about something challenging someone has attempted and it has inspired me to get up and do something I have been avoiding, so thank you for letting me know.

I also can't stop thinking how you writing this and we reading it gives us humanity at times when we might appear to others (and ourselves) as empty and broken shells or biblical vessels. This brokeness is just an appearance underneath which your writing reveals our strength pulsating.

Thank you for recognizing and articulating this Bubble. I think that in our culture there is a lot of hidden strength and incredible value which gets lost or ignored because of outward appearances, ignorance and misunderstanding.  I first became aware that this was a situation which stretched beyond my own personal experience when I started watching videos from the 'bipolarorwakingup' youtube channel.  It brought back shocking memories of when I was trying to explain to a psychiatrist what was going on in my experience from my perspective.  I knew, without a doubt that there was meaning and value in what I was trying to share with him.  I recognized that below the surface chaos, there was symbolic order and that something quite miraculous was going on.  I found it frightening and unbelievable that he wasn't interested in the details of what I was experiencing.  I thought that as a psychiatrist, he would be interested in learning something new from the strange way my mind was suddenly functioning.  I was naive and had yet to learn what psychiatrists really are, or rather what they have become.  It infuriates me how western culture automatically pathologises not only non-ordinary experiences, but normal human emotions and experiences too, if they attract attention or cause some problem or inconvenience.

Thank you for writing about your childhood experience with your grandmother.  I'm so sorry you didn't get the care and nurturing that you needed.

Have you read Running With The Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes? It is a collection of myths from across the world & cultures regarding women & the part they play in the myth. They are surprisingly similar… the messages we receive from the societies we live in and the way we tend to heal our wounds from early integrating those controlling messages in order to release our true inner selves.

RU… a member of your tribe. 

Yes, I have that book.  I bought it maybe 7 years ago.  I'm not sure if I read the whole book, but I remember a story called something like 'skeleton woman'.  It made a huge impression on me, touching me in a very deep and frightening place, it felt like it was speaking personally to me, trying to teach me something I needed to know.  I think I may have stopped reading it after that.  Unfortunately, most of my books are packed away in storage, otherwise I would find it and read that story again now.

Whose to say you weren't given a gift a being able to glimpse into another place? And it's only my opinion formed by my own interpretation, but it doesn't sound like your experience is a loss touch with reality, but an experience of something along with reality... If that makes sense.

A quote I read recently just came to mind- "You, he said, are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." I don't know who said it or wrote it...

Thank you for saying that Addax and I love the quote, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy.  .... and, what your friend said about using the word 'the' rather than anything else makes a lot of sense.  Its hard to believe but at times, using words like peace and calm have sent my thoughts spiraling into dark places.

One question-do you see the "space between"? I have been able to my whole life. It's a mixed blessing and most certainly not mental illness.

If this is what I think it is, and I'm not sure it is, because language is so subjective, but I think I do.  Do you mean the space between or behind the flow of our mental concepts of what reality appears to be, but really isn't?  That empty space from which everything arises and dissolves back into?  If that's what you mean, I can't say that I've been able to see it my whole life, even though I know its been there my whole life.  Its sort of flowed into my awareness at times, but then left again.  It seems to be where I am more of the time now, in the space, and that's the only time when I can feel peace.  But even writing about it like that isn't accurate because by saying that 'I' am in that space, it suggests that there is an 'I' there, so that negates that its an empty space.  Its only a genuine space when I"m not even there, and that's what I mean.  I disappear and there is only the space, and that's nice and peaceful.

Petu, I know it's horrible, and I know this is hard to imagine, but I have seen other people go through this same depth and intensity of pain and suffering in withdrawal, although rarely has anyone been able to express it with such insight and eloquence. And people come through it, and they recover. You will too. Hang in there.

You have said this to me often Rhi and I've needed to hear it every time.  I'm sorry that you have been going through your own withdrawal for so long, but because of it, you have been able to witness so much suffering and recovery and can share this hopeful knowledge with others.  Like everyone else, when a brutal wave hits me, all my faith and hope gets washed away and I'm left to drown in a swirling pool of increased symptoms and an inability to imagine they will ever end.... but they do, they always do.

Plato, the philosopher argued that existence is split into two realms - a material realm and a transcendent realm of forms. The former is subject to change and accessed through our senses, the latter is a pure archetype that is permanent, accessible through our mind and from his perspective more real.

I'm not sure I completely understand this, I wonder if this is the same as what's sometimes referred to as the 'collective unconscious'.  I've recently been learning about theories that our brain isn't actually the source of our experienced awareness, but a decoder of energies or information which it picks up, sort of like a radio, which can tune into different frequencies.  Perhaps when our brain is tuned into one frequency, we are picking up the material realm through our senses, but then maybe we can pick up other realms which reside on different frequencies at times too.  I'm not sure I agree that one would be more real than the other, no, actually I do agree, permanent forms would seem more real, but I'm not a philosopher so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.  But yes, my 'deeper' non-ordinary experiences have always felt like they have more substance and meaning than what passes for consensual  reality.

Petu I was invited out to dinner but I will read your post.....I haven't check in here for awhile and am doing so now..

I hope you had a nice dinner Nikki and that your recent problems with your daughter are settling down.  As parents, its impossible to not be concerned about our children, no matter how old they get.

I wish I had more than words - something concrete - to help you through your struggles.

I am a survivor of childhood abuse (from both parents) and at the age of 52, ended up on ADs after a complete nervous breakdown caused by my relationship with my mother, who has borderline personality disorder. We were enmeshed in a very sick, co-dependent relationship and, due to a number of circumstances in late 2012, she activated her "witch" side (borderlines don't really have multiple personalities; more like different modalities)

Your words are more than enough.  Help appears in many forms and sometimes there really isn't anything anyone else can do to alter the circumstances, which is a lot of what's going on here.  But being heard and validated can make the  difference between bearing the full weight of suffering alone, and receiving some small comfort from knowing that we are not really alone if someone else knows what we are going through and cares enough to reach out and say, 'I am here, you are not alone'

I read your post on another thread about what happened in the parking lot with your mother, in a weird way, I could relate to what you experienced and your moms behaviour.  When I was in my 20's at times, I think I could have qualified for a diagnosis of BPD.  Years later I tried to convince a psychologist that I did in fact have have that illness, but he refused to accept it and said that I no longer acted that way, so I didn't have it.  I don't think its possible to be raised by disordered people and not have at least the seeds of disorder in our self.  But I no longer see these things as illnesses, just variations of personality, some of them, unfortunately extreme and hurtful to other people.  I have an aunt who I think would get a NPD/HPD label, from a very young age I was always scared of her and though she was a witch. She had this way of suddenly switching personalities in an instant, and then right back again like as if nothing had happened.

Very short update:

Thankfully, that wave seems to have ended. Thank you everyone (my tribe) for your posts over the last couple of days.  I'm not in a window, I've only had what I would describe as a real window twice.  One afternoon about a year ago and one day last February.  So I've gone back to my baseline withdrawal for now.

I didn't need to take any taurine this morning.  Cortisol related symptoms started to subside mid afternoon as usual and I'm no longer feeling like I'm on a bad drug trip.  Still feeling a little traumatized by the intensity of it, but happy I survived.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petu,

I am very happy for you that this wave has passed... and that you can go back to your withdrawal process... towards a third window hopefully sooner than later... but that for sure will come!!

Sending you winds of hope!

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

That's the way to do it!!

Hugs, A.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

Great to hear things have eased for you

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Sending thoughts to you, Petu.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

You made it!

I think I know of the place you are talking of. For me I call it the nowhere. And, as you said, language is making this difficult.

The in-between is a little different for me, tho I have been where you go and at times try really hard to get there. I see the space between things, between drops of rain, between paper and table, between life and death. Its beautiful and sometimes very hard to leave. I was asking because when I first tried to explain it to someone I was called psychogenic. You speak often to being able to see beyond the "normal" range of vision and I know, for me, the places that I see are spiritual. 

I don't like the "Matrix" fad happening but it is fairly accurate. Nothing is truly solid. Sometimes I can see the space between. I think that sometimes you might too. 

I guess I was really just wanting you to know that I see weird s*** too. 

Glad you are having a chance to catch your breath.   

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think I've had a window this afternoon.  Not just an absence of wave, but a window.  It would be the third one I've had since the end of 2011.  The first one I had was an afternoon in either July or August 2012.  Suddenly, my enthusiasm, creativity and confidence came back and I shopped for some supplies, came home, made a cake and a curtain for our new laundry door.  The second window was on February 18 of this year.  For a few hours I felt like I used to feel, I don't think I did anything different, but I remember having the feeling like I was completely recovered and life felt full of hope and promise again.

Today, this afternoon, I've felt a significant change.  I dragged myself out grocery shopping, because I'm not going to have a car for 3 days and needed to do some.  As I was leaving the store, I felt a change in my energy, subtle at first but then as I arrived home, I felt a surge of enthusiasm for life again, I was experiencing some connection with what I was doing moment to moment. The experience of dread and negativity which is usually part of my emotional landscape had gone and I was left with a kind of blank canvass on which I was free to paint a new attitude, or leave it blank.  It was nice to be free from the heavy, dark cloud, I wasn't in a hurry to add anything positive, it seemed like a fragile state and I was trying to be gentle with myself.

My life these days mostly consists of doing what absolutely has to be done, and then retiring back to my room and computer where I can hopefully find distraction from the ongoing inner turmoil.  My sensitivity is so extreme that I'm easily triggered by even the most mundane aspects of life, but today, it had changed.

I easily put the groceries away and was looking for more things to do.  This was very strange because usually, once I have accomplished what I set out to do, my impulse is to relax and calm myself down, having endured a spike in stress.  But I was full of energy and went back out, did a chore for my daughter and went to another store for items I hadn't been able to get.  I felt like a 'normal' person, walking around, I felt taller and like as if my body was moving gracefully, rather than the way I usually feel, like I'm dragging a heavy weight around, pushing through a thick, sticky fog.

I can't say I felt exactly the way I used to feel, there was something missing, the old illusions were gone, replaced by a new clarity and groundedness in the moment, it was peaceful and such a relief to be free from the constant anxiety, dread and feelings of physical tension.

My confidence had returned and frustration had been replaced with an enthusiasm for problem solving.   I needed to buy a new container for storing clothes pegs/pins for the washing line.  I bought one which needed some minor assembly, very basic, something your average 6 year old could figure out, but I was still concerned because I have completely lost my ability to problem solve and learn.  But this afternoon, I took the thing out of its package and instead of being overwhelmed with trepidation, I found myself enthusiastically engaged in the small challenge.  I noticed the difference and it felt like a miracle, I was so happy to have this trait back, even if it was temporary.  Its been shocking and traumatic to find myself overwhelmed by even the most basic of challenges for the past few years, I was grateful to be having a positive experience of putting together a plastic peg basket to hang on the washing line.

There was something else too..... I needed to buy a packet of kitchen sponges because I had used the last one earlier today, so it was on my list.  This is such a minor thing, but I noticed that I was actually enjoying the process of trying to decide which packet of sponges to buy.  For the past 2+ years, trying to make these simple decisions has been horrendous and almost impossible, there have been many times I've almost been brought to my knees trying to choose between boxes of washing detergent, brands of butter or how many bottles of water to buy.  These decisions have felt like matters of life or death as I've tried to figure out how to function in the world all over again with a broken brain.

Losing my ability to learn and problem solve has been very humbling because those were two things I've always known I was good at, they were part of my identity.  But now, I have brain damage and can't think my way out of a wet paper bag :(   But today I went out twice in one day and assembled a plastic peg basket, so my hope has returned, maybe I will recover fully. 

Using the analogy of recovery being like the solving of a rubik's cube........ my brain today:  d971b1a5-b97b-4ea6-8f47-b09049a468a4.jpg

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• Moderator Emeritus

WOO HOO! Yay for windows, yay for peg baskets, yay for Petu!

Yes, you will recover fully. It's still there. Just got to give that Rubik's cube a few more twists.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Petu

Delighted to hear about your window and loved the Rubik's cube at the end. You have recovery in you

D x

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

So pleased to read this Petu. I really hope it lasts for you.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

This is wonderful, Petu! This news comes on a day where I've heard from someone I know who has been suffering treatable from this and recently had her first real window where she felt normal. Now she is getting loads of them!!! I believe you will too.

This is such a good sign, Petu. I'm made up for you.

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - med free

Bravo bravo bravo!!!!

My wish for you became true!! Hmm... I'm going to wish many things today!! :P

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

Oh, Petu, SO happy for you (and more hope for me - thank you!) !!

Your description of your window sounds exactly like my experience of the few 100% full windows that I have had (including an all-too-brief 10 minutes or so one morning in June). Not only that but your description of your "status quo" existence is also very similar to mine.

And, sometimes, when I'm having what I call "window-like" periods, I get that sensation of the fragility of it all. It's almost like the improved feeling in my head is structured like a Jenga tower and ready to topple at the slightest provocation. I literally walk around trying not to move my head too much so that the whole thing comes crashing down. Lately, however, it inevitably does. :(

So, what's with the cognitive and balance skill game analogies?  :P  Clearly, some connection there!

Mostly, just very, very happy for you!! Enjoy!

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

YAY!!

I told you,your brain-body never stops healing, and this is a very good sign!

Keep walking dear Petu, you are doing great.

Hugs,A.

so happy to hear! i'm glad its documented so you can go back and reread it when you don't fell well.

i like that you pointed out the 2 different kinds of windows. so happy you are having the full, positive one. i've only had the full one once, in may. the rest are just absence of symptoms.  this is inspiring!

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

Just want to say "Hang in there with me Petu!"!

On SSRI's/SNRI's for @ 25 years, first Prozac 18 years

Took Pristiq last 3 years, had increase in severe migraines

Started tapering Pristiq 100 mg every other day, was ok

Tried Topamax for 2 weeks, but side effects intolerable

Continued taper, able to tolerate 100mg every 4th day

At 6 weeks cut 100mg tab to 50mg & had bad reaction

Only taking 25mg sumatriptan or 0.5mg Ativan as needed

4 weeks later withdrawal worse, where do I go from here?

Stabilizing on 4mg Prozac, NO triptans, NO Ativan

3.6mg hold since June 18

We will recover!

3.6mg hold since June 18

You have opened another window!

3.6mg hold since June 18

• Moderator Emeritus

...so, my window stayed open until about 10pm, then I had a bad night.  Kept waking up and when I was asleep, I felt like I wasn't.  The next day I woke up feeling like I usually do and was basically crushed, even though I had been reminding myself the window was unlikely to continue, I was still hoping for a miracle.

I just want to be better, I want a life back and having one afternoon to remind me of what it used to be like, and then have it taken away again seems so cruel.  I think that since my window on Monday, I might actually be slightly better in general.  Its hard to tell because I'm disheartened and depressed about having it taken away so quickly, so I'm feeling sorry for myself, wondering how much longer this is going to go on for, how I'm going to keep dragging myself through the days, hanging onto hope.

Since Monday night, I've been sleeping better, I started using ear plugs again and I haven't been waking up so much, not from sounds or from hot flashes and sweating.  The anxiety, hyper stimulated kinds of symptoms are getting less, but in their place is the anhedonia, apathy, depression and an endless ocean of meaninglessness which surrounds me.

In some ways I wish I'd never had such a significant window, having myself back, but then losing myself again so quickly has left me miserable, confused and feeling so completely helpless.  A part of my mind keeps screaming at me "What did you do different to open the window", like as if there really is some way to control this, if only I can figure it out.

I went for a long walk yesterday afternoon, its been a while since I walked, its been cold and my motivation just hasn't been there, but yesterday I was so completely desperate and sick of my own lack of movement, I forced myself.  I wish I could write something positive about having made the effort, but no, not really.  The trees didn't turn into monsters, I guess that was a good thing, but I hardly even noticed them.  Didn't notice anything around me really, until my calves started aching, I noticed that and wished I wasn't so far from home.

I don't know how I got here to my thread, writing an update, I don't want to be writing about myself, a self which no longer exists.  But something is still here, having this experience, it doesn't want to be, but it is.  I wish I could get to a place of acceptance and stay there. Stay there, stay here?  I don't even know where I am.

Having a good, clear window is supposed to be a positive thing.  It was while I was in it.  Now its supposed to have given me hope and some evidence that I'm recovering.  It may very well be a sign of recovery.  But for me, the reality is that its stripped another layer from something which was still hanging on.  Something which desperately needs control in order to keep existing, or to keep believing in its own existence.

While I was walking yesterday, already feeling tired and achy, for a few seconds I had the urge to run, to swing my arms around wildly and scream.  I didn't want to be in my body, it was an urge to escape from its limitations, but I kept walking, around the park, around the man made lake, trying to ground myself in the physical reality of existence. 

....... there's more I could write, thoughts about Robin Williams, his life, death and how he's now being used to promote a variety of agendas.  The strange dream I had about falling into an alternate universe and being pulled back through an hour glass by an anonymous hand.  My theory about needing to dig even deeper into myself to find genuine acceptance.......

but the apathy is too much for me to overcome today

Life, it is what it is, and writing about it isn't going to change it, I'm hanging in, hanging on, not going anywhere.  There is a very slight curiosity, wondering where this is all going to end up if I do just keep going the way I am.

Today is turning into one of those survival type days, I just need to get through it any way I can, one moment at a time.

Maybe there is something I can do.  A poem, I will try and write a poem.  A haiku, I think I can manage that, after I check to make sure I know what one is.

Shame drags me deeper

Acceptance beckons me down

To the light of truth

...and another

too ripe banana

where three tiny flies hover

making me nervous

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

As I was reading about your window I was delighted for you. You deserve some good windows Petu,

you've suffered so much yet still come here encouraging others.  I know the feeling when the window closes 

and it feels very cruel,  is it asking too much for more than a few hours of normality and feeling? 

I'm sorry that your window shut tight again and hope with all my heart that it opens again for you soon. 

It is cruel but try and remember that window as something you can meditate on and remember the 

feelings.  You know there will be another one and many more to follow, and I am glad that you had the

brief ones that you have had to reassure you that this will pass.  Biggest squishiest Mamma hug ever. x

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I love your writing Petu. It so perfectly describes what so many of us feel when doing something as simple a choosing sponges brings us to our knees. And poetry… the perfect language in my opinion.

I'm so glad that you had a window and I'm so sorry it closed… such a cruel tease from a mending brain.

Take heart… we'll get there.

RU :) <3 <3

ps…. I posted this on my Facebook the other day when so many were talking about Robin Williams. It was the first time I was so candid. I hope that in some way it will make you feel less alone.:

Being a sufferer of depression myself, if someone were to ask me during any given episode "but WHY are you depressed?", and I thought about it the answer might be as frivolous as " because I didn't get to town today to pick up dental floss", and then "well WHY didn't you get to town today to pick up dental floss?!", and I would answer "because I'm depressed" and then " but WHY are you depressed" and after some thought, " because I didn't get to town today to pick up dental floss"etc. etc. You see? There is no sense to depression. There is no sense to one taking one's own life. We are always left with only questions. The sooner one lets go of having to find a definitive answer the more relief is found in my opinion. The answer may make no sense anyway. Hell. The answer to my own questions while depressed makes no sense to ME at the time. So I think to myself, what the HELL ????!!! DENTAL FLOSS?? REALLY?!! Yes. It is dental floss today, this time , in this awful moment, it is dental floss and that is OK!!!!!

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Oh, Petu, I'm sorry your window closed. :(

I know when one has been pushed down by a new wave, or even just the tide of "nothing," (equally horrible in its own way), words of comfort can only do so much.

I think both of your haiku are beautiful and hold tremendous meaning. You are charting your own path for continued recovery, even though you (sadly) can't feel that now. Every day you are getting closer to the truth of healing. You are hanging on. Even your slight (and slightly dark) curiosity about where this will lead is evidence of the life force within you.

I wish I could just wave the whole mess away for you. <<quiet, gentle, healing energy>>

P.S. Your fruitfly haiku is perfect. I have so been there.

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Petu,

I wasn't around much but I did read about your window and I thought a lot about it (as a miracle of hope). We all know how cruel and disappointing it is to be robbed of it.

The only thing that comes to my mind when thinking about this is randomness of it all: a window appearing out of the blue after or in the midst of a brutal and long wave and then a wave striking again for no reason. Like being rocked to and fro on a sharp rocky shore...There are just no reasons, no cause and effect. Maybe that's what makes it so difficult for us. I need to know a cause. I need it badly to get some sense of control. This is so painful: a total lack of control. Like nothing you do will change the course. It's utter hopelessness.

But I just see you recovering. If it wasn't for you, I really wouldn't think it possible. I would be too scared by it all. I wouldn't be able to endure it because I would think there would be no return after a certain point. But now I see that we do come back again. I've experienced it myself. However broken we feel, we are put together again. I clearly see you recovering but I wish it wasn't so, so very painful. You are so much here in your haiku, in visiting me...

My windows and waves during the reinstatement were totally mild by comparison but I clearly remember how strange those windows would feel at first: like green leaves of spring on the barren branches of winter. Beautiful but so out of place, without some internal motion that would underpin them. Very gradually they started feeling more real. It wasn't just their length that was changing but their quality also. 

I just imagine things deep inside you settling in through painful movements of tectonic plates. But you are a beautiful presence to us throughout all of those movements. In all your ups and deeper ups and even deeper ups, I feel you so clearly. Your spirit shines through with equal unwavering strength and clarity.

I don't know how to finish now :) just a very big hug

I love your writing Petu. It so perfectly describes what so many of us feel when doing something as simple a choosing sponges brings us to our knees. And poetry… the perfect language in my opinion.

I'm so glad that you had a window and I'm so sorry it closed… such a cruel tease from a mending brain.

Take heart… we'll get there.

RU :) <3 <3

ps…. I posted this on my Facebook the other day when so many were talking about Robin Williams. It was the first time I was so candid. I hope that in some way it will make you feel less alone.:

Being a sufferer of depression myself, if someone were to ask me during any given episode "but WHY are you depressed?", and I thought about it the answer might be as frivolous as " because I didn't get to town today to pick up dental floss", and then "well WHY didn't you get to town today to pick up dental floss?!", and I would answer "because I'm depressed" and then " but WHY are you depressed" and after some thought, " because I didn't get to town today to pick up dental floss"etc. etc. You see? There is no sense to depression. There is no sense to one taking one's own life. We are always left with only questions. The sooner one lets go of having to find a definitive answer the more relief is found in my opinion. The answer may make no sense anyway. Hell. The answer to my own questions while depressed makes no sense to ME at the time. So I think to myself, what the HELL ????!!! DENTAL FLOSS?? REALLY?!! Yes. It is dental floss today, this time , in this awful moment, it is dental floss and that is OK!!!!!

I like it very much what you wrote RU!

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Oh dear Petu;I am sorry we all have to go through this horrendous path...

Waves and windows;it is the nature of the beast...

You are a brave good woman Petu.

Your resilient body and brain is healing,albeit in a very painful way.

I know, because IT IS happening to me.

Sending healing waves ALL the way from Costa Rica to Australia.

I'm sorry. The sucky parts of this process can feel so much bigger after a window had been opened. Yay for having a window. Hug to help with the wave, 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Thinking of you Petu! These waves are no fun, but they do end.

1999 Prozac with occasional Xanax 

2002 Effexor Xr with occasional Valium

2010 Off Effexor (slow taper)

2010 Prozac rx to help with Effexor withdrawal. Activating, so stopped.

2011 Zoloft rx

2013 Zoloft stops working after a few increases, decide to stop taking it

2013 October last Zoloft dose after a 6-9 month taper

2014 January, April, May, June ER inducing anxiety attacks

2014 June Ativan prescribed as needed. Last taken Nov 2014, but still have pills just in case

How are you feeling, Petu?

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't felt like writing in my thread for a while, but I've been reading all your comments, they mean a lot to me.  Thank you.

Sometimes, its difficult to remember anything back past a few minutes ago.  I try and stay in the moment as much as possible because anything else causes painful emotions like anxiety, guilt, sadness, regret.... etc.  My life is nothing like what I would like it to be at the moment, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I find staying in the moment is the best way to deal with that reality.

But having said that, I do know know that yesterday was very difficult, the details are kind of fuzzy now, thank goodness, but all day long I was filled with feelings of anger, irritation, agitation and almost unbearable restlessness.  I think it was akathisia, no matter what I tried, I couldn't find any relief or peace and nothing was working to distract me either.  I spent most of the day reading something on the internet, it was lots of back posts of a long blog I think.  I was trying to keep myself occupied and distracted enough to get through the day alive, to take the edge off, to stay in my skin.  Several times I was suddenly overcome with feelings of exhaustion with a need to close my eyes and sleep, but each time I started to doze off, sensations of heat and panic surged through me and woke me up, so I got no relief all day.  I had thought I was going to be alone all day, which was good, I didn't have the energy for interacting with anyone else, it took all my strength to get through each awful moment.  Then my mum showed up, unexpectedly in the middle of the afternoon.  I told her how I was feeling, so she didn't stay long, but it took every last drop of my emotional strength to stay civil and calm, there was a lot of old, repressed anger coming up, and everything she said seemed to trigger more.

Today has been better.  Not great, but better than yesterday.  Yesterday scared me.  I took some taurine last night before going to sleep.  I don't take it often and when I do, I usually take it in the morning when I first wake up, to stop the racing thoughts.  It works well for that for me.  I'm not sure if taking it last night had any effect, but I slept slightly better than usual, and I woke up mentally calmer, my mind was quiet. I still had the physical anxiety symptoms though, but they faded as the day progressed.  Today has been a relief in comparison to yesterday.  I'm going to start taking taurine regularly again, at night, for a while anyway.

I've been sitting here trying to find something positive about the day I had yesterday.  Did I learn anything valuable?  Did it make me a better person?  There is something, but I'm not sure I can put it in words.... I will try.

Yesterday I survived by dropping any pretense of being anything other than a suffering human body and mind, consciously existing through each painful moment.  Reality was so excruciatingly intense that it was impossible to do anything but be right here, in the moment to endure it.  A few more layers of someone I used to be burned away yesterday, leaving me slightly lighter, slightly freer.  Today, something of me is still here, something is aware, still alive, miraculously.  Part of me doesn't want to be here any more, its becoming too painful, but there is another part which is more here, more alive and more vibrant than its ever been....but its not personal, there is no emotional connection to this strange new life force which seems to be taking over..... my body has felt cold all day, couldn't warm up, but it didn't seem to matter much.

My mum came over again today, she brought food.  She often brings food.  I used to try and stop her, I would have this continual internal struggle about it.  I don't need her food, I need her emotional support.  Its an ancient wound, long history.  But today I peacefully took the plate of tuna mornay and put it in the fridge.  Perhaps I'm letting go of the anger, sadness and resentment about not getting what I needed as a child.  I never had anyone capable of really being with me through those difficult human emotions of learning how to live in the world, to enable me to become strong and resilient, now I'm an adult and still don't have anyone in my life capable of really being with me, apart from myself.  The various addictions, then Zoloft and Lexapro, helped keep it all locked down for years, but now, there is nothing, just me and my ancient stuff, battling it out to see who is stronger.

There is something here which wants to die and something which wants to live.  I notice it when I try and make myself something to eat.  I'm wondering what the connection is between food, my mother, lack of emotional nurturing (emotional abuse actually) and my resistance to feeding myself.  This is a guess really, but perhaps by feeding myself, which is her method of caring, in some way reinforces a belief that I'm not worthy of the kind of love and support I really need. Its a poor substitute. Food used to be my addictive substance of choice, I would feed my own frightened, lonely or angry inner child once I became an adult.  Now there is nothing which substitutes for the emotional comfort and care I need.  I could no longer use anything in an addictive way if I wanted to....nothing works, it just brings more pain.

I just realized, I probably should be grateful that life has brought me to this point where I have no choice but to deal with my childhood issues, head on, no more running away.  I have no option but learn how to handle my emotions, to feel them and let them go and carry on with life anyway.

I was raised on fairy stories,  so I grew up thinking that all I had to do was be pretty and good and eventually someone (surrogate parents) would come along to take care of everything and we would all live happily ever after, whatever that meant.  But I could never be pretty enough because I was fed rather than loved, so I got fat.  I never managed to be good enough, as a child anyway, but kept trying anyway until I gave up.....hmmm!   By the time I reached 16, there was no prince to rescue me and take me off my parents hands, but I was thrown out of the castle to fend for myself anyway...oh, I just remembered, snow white got thrown out too, or rather got sent off to be killed, but then survived. 

Oops!  I didn't mean to write all this in my thread, this probably belongs in my personal offline journal,  oh well, its here now.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Good, heavy stuff there, Petu. I'm on my own unique journey, different to yours in the details, but so similar in feelings, traumas and triumphs, discoveries, letting go, parts of me falling away, seeing what's left/survived.

I had a window for a good part of the day yesterday. I say "had," because I'm kinda thinking it's shutting down again (I'm trying to "ignore" the shutting down, to see if I can maybe get it to move along...). I found myself sitting in my back garden, at the end of a particularly beautiful day, watching the last fading rays of light through the trees, the gathering dusk, a couple of little bats flying high above, the sound of crickets and other creatures filling the cool night air. The window open enough that I could clearly take it all in. Unencumbered. It was a very neutral place. I think, because it's been so long since I had such a window, that my spirit wanted nothing more than that. Just a fullness of reality, a clarity of perception, and nothing more. I found myself just "being," at a level I'm not sure I've ever "been" before. I realized myself in the moment, the window allowing me to take some quiet pleasure in the beauty around me, and I was OK just being me, feeling my own nearly imperceptible feelings, in that moment of time. I was OK knowing that my mom exists in the world, that she may or may not ever be capable of having any real inner peace or knowing the kind of quiet "be-ing" state that I was enjoying at that moment. That was a quiet, small triumph for me. Dropping the shackles of 40+ years of feeling totally responsible and guilty for the state of another person's mental, emotional, and physical wellbeing. It's been a long, hard road to get there. And I know I'll have to revisit that same "place" many times over before I'm truly free.

Oops! That should probably have been reserved for my journal. Except that I wanted you to know that I am convinced that we all have an inner compass that never goes wrong - but can get buried under years of conditioning, abuse, and learned coping mechanisms/unhealthy behavior. I think you're doing amazing work uncovering yours. It can be such a painful process, can't it? Your sharing is sacred and SA is, imho, a place of safety in which to share.

Please continue to be gentle with yourself. And I'll do the same. 'k?

I'm glad that you didn't keep that to your off-line journal. (sweeping statement coming) I think we all do that too much. Things that are hard or scary or ugly are the things that we hide from others and we suffer alone. Yet, we all have these experiences. I have never said something that noone else has ever thought/felt at some point in their lives. Still, I so frequently choose to hide the "less pretty' sides of me as if there is something so inherently wrong with me people would flee in droves if they knew the truth. And yet, my truth reflects the truth of so many others who are hiding too.

Put it out there. Scream it from the rooftops. You are not alone in your thoughts, your feelings, your confusion, your good days, or your not so good ones. Yes there are lessons that we each must learn for ourselves and there are times when we are the only person to rise above a particular situation, but noone is ever truly alone. 

Thank you for sharing your pain and confusion. Thank you for sharing your easier moments too. 

Current:

Discontinued:

keep fighting away petu,one day you will have an everlasting window with the sun shining through  :)

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

• Moderator Emeritus

I too am glad you posted here and are willing to share your journey.  

I would bet your observation regarding your mom using food as a way to comfort you and your ambivalence about receiving and making food.  My family was much the same way with food.  Cooking was their show of caring.  They nurtured the belly rather than the soul.  Some people show they care and love you with food because an emotional investment entails risks and that's scary for most people, and by feeding us they are keeping us alive. I'm guessing that cooking and sharing food keeps some people from feeling helpless when they don't know what to do to help.  At least they can feed us?  My family's relationship with food and emotional disconnect fueled my own food fears and addiction as well.  The funny thing about food addiction and fears is that it's not like drugs or alcohol: You can't quit food.  You can never go cold turkey or withdrawal from it food.  If you try to you end up on Prozac :)

I hope this wave passes quickly for you, Petu. 

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Hi Petu:

I responded to your reply in my thread in my thread and then I came over here to check in on you too.

What an amazing post, your last, I'm sure one of many. You were doing a lot of great work on yourself, helps to give me a little confidence to do the same, I hope. I can relate to some of what you said.

The other night I had a dream that a woman was trying to kill me. I called a friend who does dream interpretation, whether or not she's right or wrong I don't know but interestingly enough she was saying how a part of me wants to kill off another part of me. I'm thinking I choose to believe that I'm in a transformation and I'm trying to maybe kill off the suffering part by growing through this becoming whole.

You write about staying in the moment, I think that's good but oh so difficult to do at times when the moment is really uncomfortable.

My hats off to you for your hard work to recover.

EO

1989-2004 low doze Xanax nightly.

2004 w/d in hospital c/t with 3 other meds, (trazadone, phenobarbital, risperdal)

Tapered off those meds in 7 months.

2010- bad anxiety so tried Valium and klonopin, back to hospital, came home on nothing, got much better.

12-23-2013- hospital for anxiety, depression,insomnia...used low dose lamictal 12 days with mitrazapine.

Came home on 15 mg mitrazapine, down to c. 10 mg mitrazapine in c. 3weeks, 7.5 mg in 32 days..

Tapered off mitrazapine March 6, 2014.

Took .75 mg April 20 and 1.05 mg April 21st.

Ended taper March 6, 2014.

Take supplements tho not all daily: fish oil, Vit. C., Vit. D, cal/mag, little multi, mag at night,

Been taking homeopathic remedy since June, 2014 via a Homeopathic M.D. (Trained in psychiatry)1-12, 2018 put on 60 mg cymbalta; 150 lyrica for anxiety and 50 mg trazadone. Tapered of trazadone after 3 months on it and tapered off of lyrica in about 9 months. As of March, 2019, only on 60 mg cymbalta.

Hi Petu,

I too am glad that you shared your personal journal with us, it is precious.

I just want to say that from what I see of you, you are so pretty, and you certainly are even more than good. Great, grand, you are, and many other English words I don't know.

Please keep writing your beautiful words to us. Keep being you, because the you is there. We will win.

Sending winds of hope right to you.

A.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, beloved Petu. Just dropped by to see what lovely writing you've done lately (you're so eloquent!) and to say hello.

I'm sorry about the rough days. You know, I used to be skeptical when people said they thought that there was some healing work going on during the waves, but as time goes along I am beginning to wonder if there might be some truth to it. It makes sense, given that Rubik's cube paradigm, and given the paradigm that I personally use as the context: during the trauma of having the trellis torn away, the brain struggles and makes whatever connections it can manage, just out of desperation, just to keep things functioning. It doesn't do it very efficiently or well, because we have no mechanisms for that, because we've never encountered anything like this before in evolution. So things get mangled, and they get strung together just sort of "however." 

And then comes the long, long period of recovery and healing. And during that period, all that mangled strung-together-ness has to be sorted out, which means taking apart the jury-rigged healing and replacing it with something more optimal. And during the "taking apart" things get kind of wibbly wobbly as they fall down a bit, but it's necessary in order to stitch them back together in a healthier and more normal way.

I have no idea if this is actually true, but it's a paradigm that kind of fits with the waves and windows pattern of healing.

And it's a hopeful context for those rough days and rough times, for me.

So I offer it here in hope it may give you a way to think about those hard days and hard times. Yes, you are getting to revisit all kinds of past history and issues; but really, don't hold too tightly to that, because a lot of it is neuro-emotion, too. Maybe you can also just sort of love and trust your brain and send it healing energy as it bungles its way through this strange journey of remodeling and healing itself.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.